Raw-ish Oatmeal Cookie Balls

Sometimes I forget how fun it is to simply play in the kitchen.  Time seems to fly by when I’m mixing and creating and preparing these random recipes that pop into my head.  Recently raw “cooking” has been on my mind.  It’s something I haven’t really tried but have always been curious about.  I shy away from it because the recipes seem to be very calorie dense (so much nuts and dried fruit) and I try not to keep that kind of temptation around… I cannot control myself when it comes to sweets, especially sweets that you can slap with the label “healthy”.

But yesterday I was feeling adventurous.  I have these instant oatmeal packets from Nature’s Path that are too sweet for me to use for breakfast… but they would be perfect for baking.  I’m not sure if instant oatmeal can be considered raw, but I came up with this…

Raw-ish Oatmeal Cookie Balls

09 raw balls 300x225 Raw ish Oatmeal Cookie Balls

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup instant oatmeal, flavored/sweetened (you could probably use plain, but add some sugar/agave/brown rice syrup and decrease the water accordingly; you could also add some cinnamon or other spices)
  • 1.5 tablespoons water
  • 1 medjool date (edited to add: you could probably use a tablespoon of raisins soaked in water OR 1-2 prunes)

Directions

1. Put 1/2 cup of the oats in a food processor.  Blend until it becomes fine – almost like flour, but with a few chunks left.
  2. Add 1 tablespoon of the water.  Blend.  Rip up the date and add that. Blend, blend.
  3. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of water.  Blend some more.  It should turn into a big ball at this point.
  4. Remove the ball of dough to a bowl.  Add 1-2 tablespoons of the remaining oats (1/4 cup) to the dough and mush them together until they are incorporated well.
  5. You should have 2-3 tablespoons of oats left.  Blend them into a powder with the processor and mush that slowly to the ball of dough until it’s not sticky anymore.
  6. Use a teaspoon measurer to portion out the dough, then roll them into balls.
  7. Enjoy immediately or refrigerated.

10 raw balls 300x225 Raw ish Oatmeal Cookie Balls

My recipe made 18.5 1-teaspoon balls.  They have ~22 calories apiece.  The instant oats that I used have about 210 calories per 1/2 cup so that’s how I calculated it.

Bobby stayed home yesterday (it was really nice to spend a non-weekend day with him) and I made him try them as well.  I loved them; they taste like cookie dough to me.  He said they taste like a yummy granola in cookie dough form.  His description is clearly better.

Have you tried raw cooking/baking?  How did it turn out?  (Are these raw, by the way?  I can’t figure out if instant oats have been processed/cooked in some way…)

23 Comments on Raw-ish Oatmeal Cookie Balls

1. Chantal
    13 May, 2009 at 12:28 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve definitely had raw food on my mind lately as well! It seems to be a growing trend :) I have also shied away from raw desserts for the exact same reasons as you (too much fats from the nuts and coconut and all the sugars from dates, etc.)… I unfortunately have yet to find that many raw desserts that don’t really use dates (which give me sugar headaches and I find makes all raw desserts taste somewhat similar), so I’d love to know if you ever come up with anything else! Can’t say I’ve concocted anything that worthy of letting other people know about yet (though I’ve been testing a lot recently since I’ve decided to go raw 80% of my week!) But these didn’t have dates, and if you like tahini, they’re super yummy:
    (you just have to make the proportions up :)

Oh, and though uncooked, these would not qualify as raw because of the oats that are indeed processed :(

13 May, 2009 at 12:29 pm (6 years ago)

Hi Maggie

YES i love RAW “cooking” (seems a contradiction in terms) as a matter of fact this morning for breakfast I thru in my mini chopper some soaked “raw” almonds, “raw” sunflower seeds, a date soaked in water a banana and topped with blackberries.

MMM
    so good. it looked like a nutty oat meal. I don’t worry about the cals when it’s RAW food, there’s no better fuel for your body (I think) so no guilt no worry and total YUM.

and NO I am positive the oats in your oatmeal packet are not RAW. it’s actually hard to find raw unprocessed oats. (at least in my area)

I am actually planning on making a patty or loaf (of sorts) out of portabella mushrooms, red peppers, almonds, onion carrot celery parsley flaxseed oil and some braggs…can’t wait to try that one.

your cookies do look so good though and i have some recipes like that in my “raw gourmet” cook book (by Nomi Shannon) that look tempting.

keep it up! Soooooo good for you

do you sprout? :)

3. Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    13 May, 2009 at 12:49 pm (6 years ago)

Those look delish, Mags! I’m curious what they’d be like with regular oats.

4. Pearl
    13 May, 2009 at 1:03 pm (6 years ago)

yum maggie! that looks incredible. i too, wonder how they’d be with regular oats!

5. Amy
    13 May, 2009 at 1:08 pm (6 years ago)

I agree with Cindy – I don’t worry about the calories and fat in raw or natural foods as i know I’m doing something wonderful for my body. However, i do understand not wanting to have all those sweets around – it’s still sugary after all!!

6. lauren
    13 May, 2009 at 1:44 pm (6 years ago)

what a great idea! I can’t wait to try it! Great for little breakfast bites!

7. Jules (the sister)
    13 May, 2009 at 1:53 pm (6 years ago)

Those look so good! You actually inspired me to make some of my own oatmeal cookie balls. I made them with oatmeal, brown rice syrup, agave nectar, carob chips, raisins, and some freshly ground peanut butter from the Whole Earth Center. I cooked them in the oven for a few minutes and they were delicious :) I hope you put up more recipes soon!

13 May, 2009 at 1:58 pm (6 years ago)

such a great idea to use up instant oatmeal!!! you’re so creative Maggie! I’ll definitely try to make these because I also have some instant oatmeal packet that I find it too sweet for me! I only have raisins, so I hope it works too! :)
    I’ve never tried the raw cooking yet… but saw it around the blog world more often lately.. i guess it’s time to try it out!

9. K
    13 May, 2009 at 2:23 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve been interested in all of these raw eats I’ve been seeing but I haven’t taken the dive yet. I LOVE the sounds of those though!!

10. Olga
    13 May, 2009 at 3:42 pm (6 years ago)

o0o I like these a lot! I haven’t put much effort into being raw, but I’d definitely like to!

11. The Dainty Pig
    13 May, 2009 at 3:56 pm (6 years ago)

mmmmm! Those look great!
    As far as raw cooking goes…I think fruit salad is about all that i’ve made that counts as a dessert, haha. I’m definitely interested though, and this looks like something quick and easy to make.

12. Shelby
    13 May, 2009 at 4:46 pm (6 years ago)

OH MY GOSH! I LOVE this recipe! I’m going to make it as soon as I can =)

I just made raw donut holes, yummy!

13. Lynne
    13 May, 2009 at 5:06 pm (6 years ago)

Wow, those look really good. It’s going on my to make list.

14. Danielle
    13 May, 2009 at 5:34 pm (6 years ago)

What a fantastic recipe, thanks so much girlie! I am making these ASAP for sure!

15. Alison
    13 May, 2009 at 6:00 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve never tried raw cooking but I’m getting curious.
    Those cookies sound great!

16. Gena
    13 May, 2009 at 6:28 pm (6 years ago)

These look terrific! And I hope you’ll check out my blog at some point for ideas :)

17. Alisa - Frugal Foodie
    13 May, 2009 at 8:00 pm (6 years ago)

Those look great! I was wondering about the raw thing too. I thought oats in general weren’t considered raw. hmm.

Anyway, I have been making little treats just like this lately, but adding pb!

18. clare
    13 May, 2009 at 10:09 pm (6 years ago)

im just starting to browse some info about raw…love the little cookies they look so yummy! if i try id probably add some stevia herb to sweeten, along with cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe a touch of vanilla extract. would pure vanilla extract still be considered raw?

19. Meggie
    14 May, 2009 at 7:31 am (6 years ago)

These look SO GOOD. I’m definitely going to try them.

20. Erin
    14 May, 2009 at 5:36 pm (6 years ago)

Mmm yummy! I would definitely make them – if I wasn’t such an oinker! :)

21. Hangry Pants
    15 May, 2009 at 8:12 am (6 years ago)

Well I did that whole raw month, so I’ve experimented a bit. I made a lot of oatmeal type bars, but they did involve dates for stickiness. I think oats are raw if they aren’t toasted or anything.

22. Mimi
    24 July, 2010 at 4:50 am (4 years ago)

So easy! These look like the perfect on-the-go snack.