Bananas & tar-jay finds

Have you tried my Banana Pudding yet?  If you haven’t, you should.  And if you made it, I have a great way to eat it (aside from just plain, as I did while watching Twilight last night – that movie is full of beautiful people)…

Banana Pudding Green Oat Bran

16 banana pudding green oats 300x225 Bananas & tar jay finds

I cooked the oat bran in the water, peanut butter, banana pudding, salt + vanilla.  Then I blended it with an obscene amount of spinach.  It was really good.  I couldn’t really taste the added peanut butter, but whatever – I’m just trying to get some extra healthy fats.  My hands have been really dry recently, and Coco mentioned that she’s eating more fats to improve dry skin.  I think the fact that my hands are dry has to do with the California climate and also chopping kabocha.  Every time I chop kabocha my hands are dry – very odd.  I’m still not orange, by the way.

I did find some new vegetables recently – at Target!  Bobby and I are kind of silly and we’ll go on “dates” to places like Target and the grocery store.  Last weekend I saw these frozen veggies for about $2 (16 ounces) and thought it looked like a good deal.  Archer Farms is one of Target’s brands.

17 asparagus stir fry 300x225 Bananas & tar jay finds

This mix has Asparagus, Mushrooms, Cauliflower, Carrots, Green Beans, Squash, and Onions.  The nutritionals are great – per 1 cup serving (5 servings in a bag): 25 calories, 0 grams fat, 4 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber, 1 gram protein, 10% vitamin A, 10% vitamin C.  They’re not organic, but they’re very good.  Frozen vegetables are actually a great (and economical) option because they’re flash frozen at the peak of their freshness – meaning they retain lots of good vitamins and minerals.  The veggies at the supermarket have usually been in transit for a long time (unless you buy local and organic) and they lose some of the vitamins and minerals over time.

I’ve been using them (I bought 2 bags that first day, then I went back to get more) noodly stir-frys.  I use…

15 noodles mixed veggies shrimp 300x225 Bananas & tar jay finds

• shirataki noodles (korean market)
  • a meat (this pic has shrimp from the japanese market, but I’m a big fan of chopped up organic turkey lunchmeat too – which can also be found at target – or organic chicken from whole paycheck)
  • worcestershire sauce (tarjay) + newman’s own lowfat sesame ginger dressing (tarjay) + PB2 (bell plantation)
  • parmesan (duh! – costco – i have to buy it in bulk because i use so much)

It’s really good.  I promise.  And it’s so much easier to dump in a few cups of frozen veggies instead of chopping and having to worry about using up veggies before they go bad.  I will definitely be using frozen veggies more often in the future.  I’ll be looking into organic options as well.

Do you use frozen veggies?  Is there a cool product that you use to save you time in the kitchen?  Not only do I love the quickness of using frozen veggies, but there’s no cleanup!  The reason I never really used them before is that I’ve had bad frozen veggies, and they are so bland.  The trick is finding a good brand and a good mix.

20 Comments on Bananas & tar-jay finds

1. Biz
    18 May, 2009 at 12:43 pm (6 years ago)

I LOVE the tofu noodles, my family can’t stand the texture though, so I usually make my lunches with them.

About the only frozen veggies I get are peas, because my hubby loves them and I don’t!

Happy Monday!

2. Jenn
    18 May, 2009 at 12:55 pm (6 years ago)

you are so creative, Maggie! banana pudding and spinach oats – i never would’ve thought of such a thing! thanks for sharing :)

3. Jen
    18 May, 2009 at 1:06 pm (6 years ago)

I LOVE dates at Target (and Costco)! Or grocery shopping! So fun. :) I like the idea of your baked banana chips; I might give that a shot. Do you think it works better with underripe/overripe bananas (or does it not matter)? Because I have like three browning bananas that are on their last legs… :P

Hmm, it’s quickest for me if I prep some veggies on Sunday night by washing/cutting them (and roasting/caramelizing them if I want). Then it’s really easy to reach for a fresh veggie snack during the week, or to put together a salad in minutes. :)

18 May, 2009 at 1:32 pm (6 years ago)

not a fan of frozen veg’s. hubs calls me a vegetable snob…(he’s right of course) the closer to out of the ground the better (and if it came out of MY yard woohoo.

I have lately stocked up on this mushroom meddley from Sprouts that I really like, and I do keep a few frozen bags of this or that for emergencies (or if anyother cooks want to lend a hand) that’s always welcome

but if it’s ME (and it’s almost always ME)…. not a fan.

But I AM a NEW Kabocha FAN.

today I ate THAT cold in a salad…Thanks Maggie for that new addiction.

5. Shelby
    18 May, 2009 at 1:54 pm (6 years ago)

How do you get past that spinach taste?! I have only tried it with one cup and I could still taste it!

I used to buy frozen veggies all the time! Same brand too =) I used them for stir-fries and such. I don’t know why I stopped buying them…they are so easy and no tedious chopping.

18 May, 2009 at 2:05 pm (6 years ago)

great green bowl of banana pudding!!! I need to get some bananas to make it!! :D I’m sure I’ll love it!
    I used to use frozen veggies a lot…because it’s so convenient and no clean up. I used to buy costco stir-fry gigantic package and then I got tired of eating the same mix over and over again! And also I found that frozen organic veggie are more expensive than fresh ones (1 package only lasts for one meal for me) so I stopped buying them. But I’m sure I’ll have to buy some soon (after I begin to work, quick meal will be my priority). Love that stir-fry noodles combo! have to try it too! :D

7. Lara (Thinspired)
    18 May, 2009 at 2:18 pm (6 years ago)

I am dying to try your banana pudding! It definitely stood out to me as such an easy and delicious recipe!
    I love the Target grocery section. Never tried that aspargus mix but I think frozen veggies are a good thing to have around in general in case of emergencies. I’ve been wanting to try frozen brussel sprouts lately but I’ve never had asparagus, either!
    I just posted about the BSI and “tagged” you for next week…hope you’re still up for it ;)

8. Christina
    18 May, 2009 at 3:37 pm (6 years ago)

I love Trader Joe’s bags of diff. veggie (and fruit) mixes. I also just buy plain bags of frozen peas and corn from our local grocery store to throw in stuff to beef it up. I’m not a fan of eating frozen or canned veggies plain b/c they’re always so bland, but they’re a great option to throw in other things!

18 May, 2009 at 3:52 pm (6 years ago)

Maggie,
    I love using bagged greens as I’m too lazy to chop. I also love frozen veggies, but like you, hadn’t found any that tasted that great. I’ll be going to Target soon to pick up a bag of these…and just the veggies…no cute shirts, or candles, or Burt’s Bees products. Um, I have a Target problem…can you tell? :)

10. mi
    18 May, 2009 at 3:59 pm (6 years ago)

your baked banana chips look so good!! who needs a dehydrator ;)

i hardly ever have frozen veg…. i think mainly because my parents don’t ever seem to have used them either. they just never really cross my mind! i guess they must be good for a pinch. i am all for frozen fruits though.

11. Anne K.
    18 May, 2009 at 4:17 pm (6 years ago)

I use frozen veggies for stirfrys or soups. It’s always nicer to use fresh veggies when you can, but frozen ones are great for when you’re low on groceries or short on time.

12. Sophia
    18 May, 2009 at 4:17 pm (6 years ago)

I do use frozen veggies…sometimes they actually have more nutrients than “fresh” veggies! I always get frozen brussel sprouts and broccoli.
    gosh, your green oats ALWAYS look soooo yummy! I really need to find me some spinach.

13. Danielle
    18 May, 2009 at 5:43 pm (6 years ago)

Great stirfry it looks so good!

14. Erin
    18 May, 2009 at 5:48 pm (6 years ago)

I LOVE frozen veg! I inhale bags and bags of Green Giant broccoli!

15. Tanya
    18 May, 2009 at 6:50 pm (6 years ago)

I buy frozen veggies all the time – especially Green Giant and Birds Eye. Total convenience, and different veggies in one bag. I also admit I buy bagged lettuce. It’s more expensive, but sometimes, I just can’t be bothered with the other stuff.

16. Anna
    18 May, 2009 at 6:58 pm (6 years ago)

Those dried bananas look so good!

17. Alison
    18 May, 2009 at 8:27 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve tried that asparagus stir-fry. I didn’t like the texture of some of the veggies in my stir-fry. But it’s not so bad that I won’t use it again.

Was that your first time seeing Twilight? I’ve seen it probably 5 times – I’m a bit obsessed. It’s fun to go to Movie Mistakes and then watch the movie looking for mistakes. Plus I love looking at all the cute boys :-)

18. Alisa - Frugal Foodie
    18 May, 2009 at 9:28 pm (6 years ago)

I just spotted that banana pudding. It sounds seriously yummy!

19. Pearl
    20 May, 2009 at 1:32 am (6 years ago)

yum maggie your banana pudding looks so delicious! i especially love the addition of spinach!