Blogger Secret Ingredient: KABOCHA

Lara passed me the BSI (Blogger Secret Ingredient) torch!  I’m sure you all know what’s coming.  This week’s pick:

KABOCHA!

14 kabocha 300x225 Blogger Secret Ingredient: KABOCHA

Kabocha is a Japanese pumpkin. It’s rich in beta carotene, with iron, vitamin C, potassium, and smaller traces of calcium, folic acid, and minute amounts of B vitamins.  You can find it in the produce section of a market – probably with the other squash or root veggies like potatoes.  If you can’t find it in your normal grocery, try looking at an Asian market, or any other small market.  They’re really abundant here in California but I’m sure you can find them anywhere.  My mom and grandmother get them in New Jersey and I’ve seen bloggers across the country find them as well.

I can’t wait to see what you come up with.  The rules:

1. Make a recipe that uses kabocha (it can be original but it doesn’t have to be) BEFORE SUNDAY NIGHT.
  2. Post about it and link back here, or if you don’t have a blog, email me (magpie707@gmail.com) your recipe – pictures are great but optional.
  3. Comment on this post letting me know that you entered.

Good luck!  If you want to know more about kabocha, check out this post.

29 Comments on Blogger Secret Ingredient: KABOCHA

1. Danielle
    18 May, 2009 at 5:47 pm (5 years ago)

Can’t wait to see what everyone makes with that!

2. Christina
    18 May, 2009 at 6:13 pm (5 years ago)

Oh how fun you’re hosting!! I’ll update my dinner post to spread the news! :)

3. Meredith (Pursuing Balance)
    18 May, 2009 at 6:21 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve been wondering what BSI stood for forever! Thank you for solving that mystery for me!

4. elise
    18 May, 2009 at 7:36 pm (5 years ago)

guess what i made….!!!! your fave winter squash – you know it! lets just say im all aboard the kabocha train :)

5. brookesballbuster
    18 May, 2009 at 8:54 pm (5 years ago)

Yah I am so excited for these recipes! I have been meaning to try out kabocha…i wonder if it’s at my local grocery store. I live in nyc though, so I should be able to find it somewhere. Hope you had a good monday!:)

6. laura
    18 May, 2009 at 8:58 pm (5 years ago)

hmmmm hard to find squash this time of year

7. mi
    18 May, 2009 at 11:02 pm (5 years ago)

what a fun, and personal pick! i’m going to have to see if i can find it anywhere…

8. Pearl
    18 May, 2009 at 11:24 pm (5 years ago)

yum & fun!

9. Lara (Thinspired)
    19 May, 2009 at 1:47 am (5 years ago)

Mi, if you find some in the UK please let me know!
    I’ve checked all the regular grocery stores with no luck, but I’m going to try to get to the Asian market this week. I really want to try it and this is the perfect opportunity!

19 May, 2009 at 4:08 am (5 years ago)

hahhaha…….. it’s finally kabocha time!!! I’ve never participated on BSI but I think I need to participate this time! :)

11. Alison
    19 May, 2009 at 4:51 am (5 years ago)

I love kabocha! I can’t wait!

12. justine
    19 May, 2009 at 5:27 am (5 years ago)

Dang! I wont be able to get my hands on one of those babies until Sunday night :( . Lucky you lives where you can probably find just about anything!

~Justine

13. Mara @ What's For Dinner?
    19 May, 2009 at 7:26 am (5 years ago)

Not to be a snot or anything, but it is a WINTER squash… and its kinda spring. They’re a little pricey and hard to find around here these days. I’ll be sitting out this BSI. Sorry Maggie!

14. healthy ashley
    19 May, 2009 at 9:12 am (5 years ago)

I have been wondering what in the world this is for forever! I can’t wait for the creations :)

19 May, 2009 at 10:29 am (5 years ago)

yeahhhh
    what to make, what to make…..

i love a challenge :)

19 May, 2009 at 12:10 pm (5 years ago)

Maggie,
    Way to spread the love of the Kabocha. The 2 I bought Sunday are already gone. Just finished off the last of them for lunch – roasted with almond butter. Yum!

17. Sharon
    19 May, 2009 at 12:31 pm (5 years ago)

Awesome ingredient choice! I am going to try to find it!

18. Sophia
    19 May, 2009 at 4:28 pm (5 years ago)

I love love love kabocha but you know it already! Maggie, please check my latest post for my BSI submission…LOVE you for choosing kabocha! and I just happened to find them on sale at 68 cents per lb!

19. The Dainty Pig
    20 May, 2009 at 8:59 am (5 years ago)

mmmmm! this is right up my alley maggie! there are so many possibilities, because kabocha is delicious in every way :)

6Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Blogger Secret Ingredient: KABOCHA

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619