Sprouting!

I have a new project – sprouting!  My new blogger friend Cindy inspired me.  You can check out one of her sprouting posts here.  What’s sprouting?  It’s soaking, then rinsing beans and letting them… well, sprout.  You can do it with any kind of bean (I think).  Some common beans to sprout are mung beans, but you can also sprout alfalfa and barley.  I think you can sprout quinoa too, which is going to be next for me.

I decided to do lentils and adzuki beans just because those are what I had on hand.  Instructions

Materials needed.

01 sprouts 300x225 Sprouting!

• beans (I used 1/3 cup of each; they expand a lot so you don’t need much)
  • a big plastic cup for each type of sprout
  • old pantyhose (cheesecloth is ideal, but I didn’t have any) – cut into squares that will fit over the cups
  • rubber bands
  • plates

Steps.

1. Pour the dry beans into the cup (don’t mix them; have a separate cup for each type).  Rinse the beans and then soak them in water for a few hours; up to overnight.  Then drain them.
  2. Stretch the square of pantyhose over the top of the cup and attach it with the rubber band.  Pour water through the pantyhose, swirl it around, and then drain it (keep the pantyhose on the cup).
  3. 02 sprouts 300x225 Sprouting!

4. Turn the cups upside down and let them sit on plates.  Rinse and swirl and drain the beans 2-3 times a day.
  5. 03 sprouts 300x225 Sprouting!

6. After a few days you have homemade sprouts (that scant 1/3 cup of lentils filled up the whole plastic cup)!
  7. 04 sprouts 300x225 Sprouting!

So cool.  I’m still waiting on the adzukis (I think I’m on day 4 now?).  The lentils only took 1-2 days though.  And I hear mung beans are very quick as well.

I added the lentils to a salad and they were delicious.  I plan on doing a stir-fry with them too.  There are so many ways to use sprouts, and they are so delicious when you make your own.  Any recipe suggestions?

Do you sprout?  Post about it and let me know; I’ll link back to you!

(P.S.  Don’t forget about the Blogger Secret Ingredient, kabocha!  Check this post to see if I have your entry yet.)

(P.P.S.  The Whole Life Challenge Starts today!  I’ll post an update later with all the participants and the results of my first official day on the challenge.)

14 Comments on Sprouting!

1. Pearl
    22 May, 2009 at 12:05 pm (6 years ago)

omgosh! that looks SO cool, maggie! thanks for sharing!

22 May, 2009 at 12:06 pm (6 years ago)

Oh my goodness, your lentils look FABULOUS.

Yes, Adzuki’s take a little while…5 days is very normal. I am just now soaking wheatberries, millet and sunflower seeds…the wheatberries I will sprout and the others I will just soak.

I eat them raw…but they are great in tons of recipes… i’ll go dig

so happy it was a great first RUN

3. Emily
    22 May, 2009 at 2:28 pm (6 years ago)

great post! sprouting has been on my “project” list for too long now. what am i waiting for?!

22 May, 2009 at 3:00 pm (6 years ago)

it sounds so interesting making own sprouts! :) I’ve never tried it, it’s going to be in my future culinary adventure! :D

5. mi
    22 May, 2009 at 3:02 pm (6 years ago)

oh wow!! i saw lots of sprouting kit stuff at wholefoods the other day and it made me curious – this has really encouraged me to try it out! you have such great projects and challenges you work on :D

6. Anne K.
    22 May, 2009 at 3:30 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks so much for posting this! I’ve read about people doing this, and it sounded so cool. I wanted to try it, but didn’t know how. I bookmarked this page so I can give it a try :D

7. Sophia
    22 May, 2009 at 4:34 pm (6 years ago)

ooh! I’ve read all about this when I was interested in raw food diet once. they’re REALLY good for you! my mom makes this Korean sprout thingy with soybean sprouts and chili pepper flakes and ginger.

22 May, 2009 at 5:08 pm (6 years ago)

Maggie,
    I love sprouting. My favorite thing to sprout is raw buckwheat. I then dry it out in my oven set on the lowest setting with the door propped open. Makes the best raw cereal and sometimes I’ll add a drizzle of maple syrup before drying to make raw granola. I should post about it some as I just ate some today. Yum! :)

9. Hangry Pants
    22 May, 2009 at 5:55 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve read about this on Food For Living and am always intrigued. I like how your version is super cheap!!!!

10. clare
    22 May, 2009 at 10:59 pm (6 years ago)

alfalfa sprouter here! interested to branch out to other varieties though. thanks for your info and setup maggie!

11. clare
    22 May, 2009 at 10:59 pm (6 years ago)

12. SOL
    23 May, 2009 at 10:45 am (6 years ago)

Hi,my name is Sol from Argentina,I love u blog!!!It inspires me and we share a lot of things,so thanks!but I want to ask u sth,did u eat just the sprouts in the salad or everything raw?or did u boil the lentils without the sprouts?sorry,my mother tongue is spanish so sometimes I loose a little with the explanations!!!!

13. Alison
    24 May, 2009 at 5:23 pm (6 years ago)

Definitely let us know any recipes you get. I’m thinking of trying it.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Sprouting!