When I eat meat, I like to do it right. I go organic, free-range, and lean (okay… not always lean). On Memorial Day I picked up 12 ounces of pork sirloin from Whole Foods to grill for dinner. I’ve seen a few recipes for meat + fruit recently (adding blueberries to burgers? I’m game!) and I wanted to try it out. I also recently bought a cast-iron grill pan from Williams Sonoma that I’ve been dying to use.
So I also got raspberries and blueberries, and this is what happened…
(I bet you could do this with firm tofu too if you want a vegetarian version!)
Raspberry Rubbed Pork with Apples and Berries
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
- 12 ounces of pork sirloin, sliced thinly (I sliced each piece in half – there were 2 originally – so that they would cook faster and not get dry, which pork likes to do)
- meat rub (I used an organic one from Costco – you could also just use whatever random spices you have)
- 7-8 raspberries
- 1 apple, sliced (I bet a peach or nectarine would be good too)
- handful of blueberries (optional)
- grill pan OR a grill OR just a regular saute pan
- Rub the pork with the meat rub. Smash the raspberries and rub the pork with them.
- Heat your grill to medium-high heat. Spray with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray. Grill the apple slices on each side for 2-3 minutes. I threw in a few blueberries too; they got soft and sweet. Remove the fruit.
- Place the pork on the grill pan and cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes. (I covered it for the first half and uncovered it for the second side.) As soon as it’s cooked through, remove it from the heat.
- Eat with the grilled fruit – I like eating a piece of pork and a piece of apple at the same time.
I served it with a salad, garlic bread, and followed it with healthy apple pie. The flavor of the pork was great – the raspberries made it slightly sweet, but the rub toned it down. It was tender and juicy. Apples + pork is one of my favorite food combinations, and the raspberry was fun too.
What’s your favorite savory & sweet combination?
(Back later with a Whole Life Challenge update and a sweet award…)