Raspberry Rubbed Pork with Apples and Berries

When I eat meat, I like to do it right.  I go organic, free-range, and lean (okay… not always lean). On Memorial Day I picked up 12 ounces of pork sirloin from Whole Foods to grill for dinner.  I’ve seen a few recipes for meat + fruit recently (adding blueberries to burgers?  I’m game!) and I wanted to try it out. I also recently bought a cast-iron grill pan from Williams Sonoma that I’ve been dying to use.

lodge-square-grill-pan

So I also got raspberries and blueberries, and this is what happened…

(I bet you could do this with firm tofu too if you want a vegetarian version!)

Raspberry Rubbed Pork with Apples and Berries

08-apple-raspberry-pork

Ingredients (serves 2-3)

• 12 ounces of pork sirloin, sliced thinly (I sliced each piece in half – there were 2 originally – so that they would cook faster and not get dry, which pork likes to do)
  • meat rub (I used an organic one from Costco – you could also just use whatever random spices you have)
  • 7-8 raspberries
  • 1 apple, sliced (I bet a peach or nectarine would be good too)
  • handful of blueberries (optional)
  • grill pan OR a grill OR just a regular saute pan

Directions

1. Rub the pork with the meat rub.  Smash the raspberries and rub the pork with them.
  2. Heat your grill to medium-high heat.  Spray with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.  Grill the apple slices on each side for 2-3 minutes.  I threw in a few blueberries too; they got soft and sweet.  Remove the fruit.
  3. Place the pork on the grill pan and cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes.  (I covered it for the first half and uncovered it for the second side.)  As soon as it’s cooked through, remove it from the heat.
  4. Eat with the grilled fruit – I like eating a piece of pork and a piece of apple at the same time.

I served it with a salad, garlic bread, and followed it with healthy apple pie.  The flavor of the pork was great – the raspberries made it slightly sweet, but the rub toned it down.  It was tender and juicy.  Apples + pork is one of my favorite food combinations, and the raspberry was fun too.

What’s your favorite savory & sweet combination?

(Back later with a Whole Life Challenge update and a sweet award…)

12 Comments on Raspberry Rubbed Pork with Apples and Berries

1. The Novice Berker
    27 May, 2009 at 1:17 pm (6 years ago)

OOH! I was thinking about buying the BF a grill pan, but I wasn’t sure if it did anything really different from a regular pan (besides giving grill marks). How did you like it?

I wish I could pick a sweet/savory combo I liked best, but I really like them all. Chocolate-covered pretzels and fruit/meat combos (like turkey & cranberry) are definitely at the top for me!

2. Anne K.
    27 May, 2009 at 1:36 pm (6 years ago)

Those grill pans are so cool! I think the grill marks are so cute on the food. Does it taste different than if you just use a regular pan?

3. Dori
    27 May, 2009 at 1:44 pm (6 years ago)

That sounds so good, I should get that grill. I never cook, maybe I’d be more inclined to with that — it makes it so easy!

Also, until today I thought you were a vegetarian. I guess because you’re the salad girl and you love yoga. Haha!

4. Elizabeth Edith
    27 May, 2009 at 5:13 pm (6 years ago)

I updated my blog on the WLC. Its been really good so far, thanks!

27 May, 2009 at 6:13 pm (6 years ago)

mmmm…. this looks delicious! Pork with fruit is really a western flavor combination. I don’t know any chinese recipe that do that, but it tastes great! :)

6. brookesballbuster
    27 May, 2009 at 6:18 pm (6 years ago)

I take it your a big apple fan? Me too! I’m craving apple pie after reading your blog!

7. Chantal
    27 May, 2009 at 8:17 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve just discovered those cast-iron grill pans to and they are the COOLEST thing ever…

8. Alison
    28 May, 2009 at 5:20 am (6 years ago)

Looks wonderful! Did you find that the food actually tastes grilled? I’ve been considering getting one of those pans and want to know how good they are.

9. carolinebee
    28 May, 2009 at 7:43 am (6 years ago)

That grill pan looks bossy! Great recipe

10. Danielle
    28 May, 2009 at 10:19 am (6 years ago)

That sounds awesome!

28 May, 2009 at 12:35 pm (6 years ago)

Favorite Sweet/Savory combo…trail mix. I love salted nuts with chocolate. Also, back in the day, I used to go crazy on some microwaved popcorn with peanut M & M’s mixed in – delicious!

12. Leng
    30 May, 2009 at 11:38 pm (6 years ago)

That grill looks NICE! I bought mine from Macy’s, but it’s a lot smaller. Does that one come treated?