Yoga Flow Sequence

My yoga is back!  Monday through Wednesday I did Tom Morley’s 20-minute routine every morning and I think I’m fixed.

This morning I set the kitchen timer for 25 minutes and decided to do a flow on my own.  I guess setting a timer is not very zen, but I’m a numbers gal.  I was a math major, don’t forget.  If I don’t set a timer I can’t stop thinking about how long I’ve been flowing, so the timer helps me relax more… if that makes sense.

I hurt my thumb yesterday.  I may or may not have sliced it while washing my new knife.  Ouch.  I’m a doofus and I do something like this at least once every few months.  It’s puffy and sore, so I tried to be gentle with the yoga.  The routine was simple and repetitive, but I liked it.

• standing, hands @ heart for a few deep breaths
  • inhale arms up, exhale down, inhale half-lift, exhale step back, lower chaturanga, inhale up dog, exhale down dog
  • crescent vinyasa: inhale right leg up, exhale lunge forward, inhale crescent, hold for 2 breaths
  • crescent pose Yoga Flow Sequence

• exhale & vinyasa, repeat on the left
  • plank waves (inhale forward to plank, exhale down dog) – a few times
  • repeat whole crescent/vinyasa fast sequence 5-6 times (1 breath per pose)
  • stepping forward, inhale halfway, exhale down, inhale chair – hold chair for a few breaths, then exhale, vinyasa, and back to down dog
  • utkatasana Yoga Flow Sequence

• vinyasa sequence with warrior 1 -> warrior 2 -> reverse warrior -> side angle on each side (1 breath per pose)
  • plank waves (inhale forward to plank, exhale down dog) – a few times
  • repeat 5-6 times: vinyasa sequence of warrior 1 -> warrior 2 (1 breath per pose)
  • step forward and repeat the chair sequence back to down dog
  • vinyasa sequence with warrior 1 to “waterfall warrior” (waterfall up and down from humble warrior – hands clasped behind your back and bowing down and up 3 times, then holding it for 2 breaths)
  • humble warrior Yoga Flow Sequence

• crescent/vinyasa fast sequence again (5 times)
  • forward to chair, then twisting chair and step back to reverse prayer -> warrior 2 -> triangle -> half moon -> standing splits -> repeat on the left.
  • half moon pose Yoga Flow Sequence

• floor poses: pidgeon (both sides), happy baby, head stand, plow. confession: no savasana (!).
  • headstand Yoga Flow Sequence

The ending was nice.  I’m working on building core strength, so while I was in headstand I practiced lowering and raisng my legs *with control*.  Ugh, so hard!  Then I refueled.

10 green oat bran 300x225 Yoga Flow Sequence

Mmm.  Oat bran, Mighty Maple peanut butter, spinach.  Plus my computer, blogs, and sodastream seltzer of course!

Only 5 days until my mom comes!  What’s your favorite thing to do with your parents? I’m trying to figure out what activities we should do.  I think we’ll probably go to the beach, I’ll show her all of my cool grocery stores, we’ll cook together, maybe go into San Francisco for a day…

17 Comments on Yoga Flow Sequence

4 June, 2009 at 1:40 pm (5 years ago)

Yeaaaah…you got your YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGA BACK!

hate hate hate cuts. i get a paper cut a month…it’s annoying

Setting a timer IS zen if it lets you let your MIND off the time.

it’s a tool…. I do the same thing when I am trying to meditate…

I need to wear a watch…not very zen-ish…but I can’t relax otherwise.

I went to an air show with my Dad a couple years ago…that was fun…other than that I think camping is the best.

a day at the beach sounds so GREAT.

2. Dori
    4 June, 2009 at 1:41 pm (5 years ago)

I knew your yoga would come back to you! Those poses look too hard for me, although I did attempt pigeon pose in Core Fusion this morning. I got excited when I saw it on your blog just now because I knew what you were talking about and I understood that picture! Haha.

I’m the same way with the clock. I am no math major but I have a major obsessesion with time — knowing what time it is, knowing how long I have left in a gym class, being insanely early everywhere I go because I love to overestimate how much time everything takes. Sigh.

Anyway, great post! LOVE the mighty maple :)

3. Peggy (Mom)
    4 June, 2009 at 2:43 pm (5 years ago)

Sounds just like what I was thinking we would do!!

4. Yasmin
    4 June, 2009 at 4:06 pm (5 years ago)

I did my final post on TWLC today! Thanks for supporting us!

5. The Dainty Pig
    4 June, 2009 at 5:38 pm (5 years ago)

what a great yoga sequence, lovely!! I think I may just have to try that tomorrow :)

my favourite thing to do with my parents is try some of my favourite restaurants, make some meals together, walk outside, farmer’s market….tea in the sun….

have a wonderful weekend!

6. Erin
    4 June, 2009 at 6:08 pm (5 years ago)

Yay for yoga! I should try flowing on my own on occasion. And I do thinks like that cut all the time. It’s a bit ridiculous.
    Have fun with your mom. I love when mine visits! She’s fun to shop with and my dad is fun to eat with!

7. Anna
    4 June, 2009 at 6:13 pm (5 years ago)

That looks like a wonderful flow!

8. Jess
    4 June, 2009 at 6:17 pm (5 years ago)

That yoga sounds GREAT! You definitely got your yoga back. (So jealous that you can do headstand! :) ..) Delicious refueling!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

9. Sarah (LovIN My Tummy)
    4 June, 2009 at 7:46 pm (5 years ago)

Oh, you poor thing! I hate getting cuts on my hands because they just reopen constantly. I seal them shut with super glue. I’m not kidding.

10. Maria
    4 June, 2009 at 7:49 pm (5 years ago)

Hi there! I’m a new blogger here, although I’ve been reading your blog for a while, and I enjoy it very much!

I’m an engineering student and love my numbers too. I have a set schedule and the morning and have to keep my clock within view while I’m doing yoga, so similar concept ;).

Ouch! I hope your thumb feels better.

I love shopping, site-seeing (museums), movie-watching, and of course going to restaurants and farmer’s markets with my mom. Hope you have fun together!

11. Alison
    4 June, 2009 at 8:06 pm (5 years ago)

My parents and I love going to the mall together. And going for walks around the lakes.

That waterfall move looks very painful.

5 June, 2009 at 3:05 am (5 years ago)

really good vinyasa sequence, i’ve never done yoga by myself… how can I think of the sequence? You’re so creative! but at the same time I think it’s more intuitive than doing a podcast…so I need to do it sometimes soon!
    fav thing with mom? cook, shopping and walk! :)

13. elise
    5 June, 2009 at 7:22 am (5 years ago)

im so impressed that you just created your own routine…ok, i know thats nothing to you, ms yoga master, but im still trying to get into it. i even bought a yoga positions pamphlet (type a much?) so i can totally understand the need to set a timer…haha

14. Sagan
    5 June, 2009 at 10:32 am (5 years ago)

Ooh thanks for the poses. That’s awesome that a math major is a yogi!

I hurt my thumb and index finger yesterday too. I may or may not have tried to pull a muffin pan out of the oven a couple minutes after it had been put in. We better not ever get in the kitchen together; who knows what kind of mayhem and injuries may ensue! :)

5 June, 2009 at 11:54 am (5 years ago)

Maggie,
    Loved your confession. i often opt out of Savasana when I practice at home. I just get so distracted and feel like I need to get working on other things. That’s one of the reasons I love going to a class – gets my mind off of everything going on around me. For some reason, I can’t do that at home.

Great flow and great looking bowl of spinach oats. I just blended some oats with broccoli for lunch and loved it. My sweetened rice protein powder helped. :)

I love going out to eat with my parents. They are so entertaining. Chris and I just sit there and laugh at them, um I mean, with them. :)

Have a good weekend!

16. Nelly
    30 August, 2009 at 8:51 am (5 years ago)

congratulations!!
    i got this awesome yoga book, at first i wasnt kinda into it, but then one of my friends could do all this cool flexible stuff, like the splits. And i always wanted to do that. So i stretched more often like in the monrings and at night, and yesterday i was flipping through my book and it had the headstand in it, and i was like “i wanna do that” so i tried it out.
    xD
    at first i gave up, then i kept trying again until i got it right!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Yoga Flow Sequence