Going Out With Mom!

Last night my mom treated us to dinner at one of our favorite Thai places: Blue Mango in Santa Clara, CA.  We go there all the time, and we always get the same exact thing.  So of course tonight was no exception.

We all started with this Prawn Papaya Salad to share – so delicious.  “This typical Eastern Thai dish consists of fresh green papaya strips and Tiger prawn lightly beaten with tomato, lime, green bean, carrot and cashew for a nice tangy flavor.” We’ve learned to get everything mild here, because no matter how much you stress that you want something “medium” spicy, it always comes out firey.

18 papaya salad 300x225 Going Out With Mom!

My mom decided to break us out of our rut and she got this crazy Volcano Chicken dish.  “Quarter chicken marinated in honey, ginger, and kaffir leaves with snow pea, pineapple, tomato and straw mushroom. Served sizzling like a volcano!” It was sweet and savory and so good.

19 volcano chicken 300x225 Going Out With Mom!

Bobby got the Basil Chili Chicken (mild), as usual. This comes with bell pepper and onion as the vegetables.

21 basil chili chicken 300x225 Going Out With Mom!

I got Mushroom Mountain again.  “Soft tofu, baby corn, bamboo, straw mushroom and bean sprout stir-fried with a bit of green curry paste. Sesame seed are sprinkled on for a beautiful finish.” I seriously cannot get enough of this dish.  (It’s vegan by the way.)

20 mushroom mountain 300x225 Going Out With Mom!

We finished everything except for a little bit of the Volcano Chicken, which I stuck in Bobby’s lunch today (on a sandwich).  This was a pretty late meal for my mom – they usually eat around 5:30-6 EST, and we didn’t eat until almost 9 PST last night.  I’m glad she’s okay with our nutty schedule.

Today is my mom’s last day (she flies out tomorrow morning) so we’re just going to stay around home and do some shopping and enjoy our time.  Yesterday I was teaching SAT prep (math) all day so we didn’t get to do much.  That went well, by the way.  I had a lot of fun with my kids.  I taught a class in the morning and then the same material to different kids in the afternoon.  I’m really glad it worked out.

Happy Monday!

15 Comments on Going Out With Mom!

1. Maria
    15 June, 2009 at 11:08 am (6 years ago)

Yes, even though I’m Korean and love my food spicy, Thai- spicy is just too much! Papaya salad is sooo delicious! That mushroom dish looks fabulous too.

Great to hear that SAT tutoring is going well. I hope you have lots of fun with your mom before she leaves!

2. Jess
    15 June, 2009 at 11:20 am (6 years ago)

I like spicy food, as long as it’s not so spicy that it’s not even edible. That place sounds fantastic! Your dish looks great!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

3. Jasmine
    15 June, 2009 at 11:26 am (6 years ago)

Mmm, I love thai food! However, I think even mild might be too spicy for me because I am the biggest baby EVER when it comes to spicy food! Glad to hear the classes are going well :)

4. MarathonVal
    15 June, 2009 at 11:57 am (6 years ago)

Wow, that looks soooo good!! Now I want to try to recreate the mushroom tofu mountain dish!

5. carolinebee
    15 June, 2009 at 12:35 pm (6 years ago)

fun dinner! I love bringing new people to my fave places b/c I never switch it up ha :D UGH SAT math prep *shudders*, so glad I’m done with that in my life! I took a princeton review course in hs and it helped my score A LOT, so props to you for helping the kiddies.

6. Anne K.
    15 June, 2009 at 2:26 pm (6 years ago)

Ooh that place looks awesome! I love Thai food. I’m glad you’re having a good time with your mom, and it’s great that the SAT class went so well :)

7. Leng
    15 June, 2009 at 6:35 pm (6 years ago)

i still haven’t had a chance to visit there. Haven’t been to San Jose in such a long time. I’ll have to stop by there on the way over, but that could be months.

You’re like me–I like to order the same things over and over again. It’s hard to find good food, so when I find it, I try to stick with it.

Sounds like you’re doing great with the SAT tutoring. You must have had a high score to be able to teach it to students.

15 June, 2009 at 9:12 pm (6 years ago)

Maggie,
    Glad your teaching went well. I could not imagine teaching history (my major) right now…I feel like I’ve forgotten so much. Guess it would be a great reminder, huh?

No kabocha? That’s okay. I probably ate enough for both of us. :)

Love green papaya salad!

9. gliding calm
    15 June, 2009 at 10:14 pm (6 years ago)

what IS it about thai food?! it’s just so darn good!! WEST COAST!! :)

10. Sam
    16 June, 2009 at 1:38 am (6 years ago)

I love Thai food – you just can’t beat it!

11. Lara (Thinspired)
    16 June, 2009 at 2:40 am (6 years ago)

Um, yum. Is this a chain restaurant?! I wonder if there are others in the Norcal area :)
    I’m so glad you’ve been enjoying this time with your mama!

16 June, 2009 at 2:52 am (6 years ago)

you had such great time with your Mom…. a pic of her? I’d love to meet her! :)
    no kabocha for a entire day? woooo….. I am having it every night!!! and love it! although I’m turning orange! :(
    one question: how much kabocha do you usually consume per day? (and not turn into orange yet)

13. Andrea@WellnessNotes
    16 June, 2009 at 7:35 am (6 years ago)

I’m glad the SAT prep classes went well!

The Thai food looks and sounds amazing. I used to get a very spicy dish at a Thai restaurant. I love spicy food, but that dish was soooo spicy that it left me in pain every time I ate it. I have since learned to order food “mild” at most Thai restaurants.

14. Sagan
    16 June, 2009 at 9:42 am (6 years ago)

Have a nice last day with your mum! Prawns are so good.