Guest Recipe – Tomato Oats!

I have amazing readers.  I loved hearing about all of your own sweetest presents yesterday.  I hope it’s okay that I post a few of them from the comments:

• Cindy‘s greatest gifts are her kids
  • Annabel says she’s thankful for thoughtfulness in any form (definitely a good mindset)
  • Heather likes it when someone listens to you and gets you something that you might mention briefly (I love this kind of gift too)
  • Emily‘s favorite gift was a meaningful letter from her sister
  • Lara gets mom hand-me-downs too – even a simple sweatshirt is meaningful when it’s one of your mom’s favorites
  • and more icon smile Guest Recipe   Tomato Oats!

Another very cool reader named Brian sent me this great idea for a savory breakfast.  He was getting tired of the same old oat bran, so he made oatmeal with a twist!

brians tomato oats 300x225 Guest Recipe   Tomato Oats!

Here’s the recipe:

• 1 can Campbell’s tomato soup
  • 1 can skim milk
  • 1/2 cup Quaker rolled oats (next time try 1 cup)

Brian says he would use a whole cup of oats next time to make it thicker, but it still was delicious and he would make it again.  Thanks for the idea Brian!

I didn’t make a twist on my usual green oat bran (oat bran, peanut butter, salt & vanilla, spinach)…

28 green oats new bowl 300x225 Guest Recipe   Tomato Oats!

But I did get a new bowl.  This one is from Daiso, a cute Japanese dollar-store type place.  Instead of everything being a dollar, most things are $1.50.  This bowl was $1.50 and it’s nice and big.  I really like it.

I have been making a change with my huge salads – instead of parmesan (which apparently bugs my stomach), I’ve been putting vegan bacon bits on top.  So good.  This salad was romaine, green peas (fresh, no spray), red onion, rotisserie chicken, chopped cherries, bacon bits, and newman’s own lowfat sesame ginger.

29 bacon bits salad 300x225 Guest Recipe   Tomato Oats!

I’ve been neglecting posting about my June challenges (decluttering and a continuation of my Whole Life Challenge) but I’ll do an update soon.  I also have an update about an interesting health tip that I’ve been trying out too.  Here’s a hint – organic apple cider vinegar.  (Okay, that wasn’t a hint, that was it – but I DO have more to say on it.)

Off to my mat.  Happy Wednesday icon smile Guest Recipe   Tomato Oats!

14 Comments on Guest Recipe – Tomato Oats!

1. Sagan
    17 June, 2009 at 10:20 am (5 years ago)

Okay, that tomato oats is a weird idea. But definitely interesting! I think one of the best parts about the health blogging community is the crazy things that we eat… (and what makes it even more crazy is how GOOD all of these unusual combinations taste!)

2. Shelby
    17 June, 2009 at 10:33 am (5 years ago)

Tomato oats? Very interesting…

3. Maria
    17 June, 2009 at 11:04 am (5 years ago)

I love Daiso! They have the cutest stuff there for so cheap. I’m looking forward to that interesting health tip :). Hope you have a fabulous day!

4. Run Sarah
    17 June, 2009 at 12:04 pm (5 years ago)

I love Daiso, although everything is $2 here. I have bought a bunch of cute plates & bowls from there.

5. Lara (Thinspired)
    17 June, 2009 at 12:51 pm (5 years ago)

Aww, I’m glad you liked my story :)
    Thank you for your condolences on my blog, btw.
    I love the bowl that the tomato oats are served in. It reminds me of the hand-painted pottery we saw in Italy!

17 June, 2009 at 5:13 pm (5 years ago)

Tomato oats might have a more “dinner” feel to it

but look how fast GREEN oats have caught on!

if someone is brave enough to to a taste test and it works…

that post it!

yeah

i’m off to buy some Kabocha!

17 June, 2009 at 5:14 pm (5 years ago)

sorry, i am rushing

can’t type/spell apparantly!

happy Wednesday! :)

8. MarathonVal
    17 June, 2009 at 5:21 pm (5 years ago)

Yoga is a great idea!! I’m actually just getting back into yoga – I took a class in undergrad and fell asleep! – but I would like to do it more often. A DVD would be a great idea if the hotel has a DVD player, I’ll have to look into it. Thanks for the ideas! :)

17 June, 2009 at 6:05 pm (5 years ago)

My mom swears by apple cider vinegar. If I’m ever feeling sick when she’s around, she follows me with a spoonful until I drink it down. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts Maggie. That bowl of tomato oats needs a grilled cheese on the side. :)

10. Pearl
    17 June, 2009 at 7:05 pm (5 years ago)

love your salads!

11. clare
    17 June, 2009 at 10:35 pm (5 years ago)

oh tomatoohhhhh! im thinkin…Italian. a little mozz or parm, some mushrooms, zucchini, onion, green pepper…

18 June, 2009 at 2:53 am (5 years ago)

where can I find Daiso?? i love that bowl and for only 1.50??? that’s such a great deal!!!
    Maggie, I keep finding articles about the problem of consuming raw spinach…. have u did more research on that?

13. Matt (No Meat Athlete)
    18 June, 2009 at 3:37 am (5 years ago)

How are the vegan bacon bits? Have you ever tried cooking with them, like sauteing them in oil before starting a meal? I cook a lot of Italian soups and ragouts, and often they start with pancetta and oil, and I’ve been trying to find a good substitute ever since going vegetarian 3 months ago.

14. Alison
    18 June, 2009 at 5:36 am (5 years ago)

Cool recipe! I don’t know if I’d want it for breakfast, but I think it would make a great lunch. I’d want a grilled cheese sandwich with it :-)