What the fushi?

Some of you guessed right about my new lunch – it was Curly Top’s Fushi!  (Fake sushi.)  I can’t believe I only just found her blog.  I need to make some Pbu, stat.

Emily’s was raw, but mine wasn’t.  I did different toppings.  Here is my take on it, which of course included my not-so-secret lover, kabocha.  Yes, Bobby is jealous of my squash boyfriend.

Kabocha-ushi

38 fushi 300x225 What the fushi?

Ingredients

• for the “rice”: 1/2 of a jicama (~1/4 pound or so – maybe a little more than a cup, chopped?); 1 teaspoon brown rice syrup; 1-2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • kabocha topping: shredded kabocha (~1 cup); 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped (or less; I’m a garlic lover); a few teaspoons sesame oil
  • daikon sprouts
  • vegan bacon bits
  • lettuce leaves (romaine)
  • soy sauce and wasabi (for dipping)

Directions

1. Chop up the jicama.  Pulse it in a food processor until it starts to look like rice.  Then add the brown rice syrup and the vinegar.  This makes it sushi rice-esque!
  2. 33 jicama rice 300x225 What the fushi?

3. Shred the kabocha and saute it on high heat with the garlic and sesame oil for 5-6 minutes.  It’ll shrink.
  4. 31 shredded kabocha 300x225 What the fushi?

5. Wash the lettuce and stuff with the “rice” (jicama), kabocha, sprouts, and top with yummy yummy bacon bits.
  6. 32 fushi setup 300x225 What the fushi?

7. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat… and dip in soy sauce and wasabi.  I like lots of wasabi.
  8. 34 fushi 300x225 What the fushi?

This was so awesome.  I think I’m going to make it for lunch again today.  Or maybe we’ll have a sushi night tonight and I’ll make Bobby try it.  He’s not going to go for fake rice, so I’ll make him real sushi rice… but maybe I can get him to eat kabocha with me.  Nom nom nom.  You need to make this.

What toppings would you use? I’m guessing that very few people have tried daikon sprouts… I found them an Han Kook the other day when my mom was here.  They’re great.

25 Comments on What the fushi?

1. Becca
    19 June, 2009 at 10:29 am (5 years ago)

This really does look delicious. I would never have thought of using jicama instead of rice for raw sushi. Yum!

2. Shelby
    19 June, 2009 at 10:47 am (5 years ago)

Sounds amazing! I will have to try this recipe! I love how you added kabocha, yum!

3. Maria
    19 June, 2009 at 10:48 am (5 years ago)

That sounds so awesome, Maggie! I should try seasoning my jicama rice sushi style (I tried it just in a salad).

I tried that apple cider vinegar thing this morning and wooowee it’s not tasty ;). Hopefully I will keep on remembering to try it, so I can see the benefits.

4. Pearl
    19 June, 2009 at 11:00 am (5 years ago)

yum! looks so good! my mom pickles the daikon so that when we add it to the sushi, it adds such a refreshing crunch to everything!

5. Run Sarah
    19 June, 2009 at 11:03 am (5 years ago)

Wow, that looks awesome! Now I know what to do with the jicama I bought.

6. Erin
    19 June, 2009 at 12:07 pm (5 years ago)

This is so cool! I love sushi and this sounds so refreshing. I need to make this. Definitely with avocado for me :)

7. Jess
    19 June, 2009 at 12:31 pm (5 years ago)

Fushi looks so good! Yum, Yum, Yum!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

8. Biz
    19 June, 2009 at 12:43 pm (5 years ago)

What a great idea for the jicama – especially since its kind of hard to chop by hand!

I may have to recreate this biz style – I’d add chopped peanuts to mine, and spicy mustard sauce! :D

Happy Friday Maggie!

9. Alison
    19 June, 2009 at 12:46 pm (5 years ago)

What a great idea to shred kabocha. You could do that with any squash. Makes it even more versatile.

10. Leng
    19 June, 2009 at 1:05 pm (5 years ago)

haha, I thought the diced jicama was rice! Everything looks great. I’ll have to try these ingredients. My family eats like this on a regular basis (lettuce filled with ingredients with a tangy dipping sauce), but yeah I’ll have to try it with kabocha and jicama. Thanks for the lunch idea Maggie!

19 June, 2009 at 1:31 pm (5 years ago)

I just found a raw “rice” recipe in my new raw book i won….been dying to try it! I love your “fushi” it looks beautiful. I made some just the other night. it tasted great, looked, well, not so much…

like your blog’s new look!

12. Kiersten
    19 June, 2009 at 1:42 pm (5 years ago)

Sounds yummy! You fooled me, the jicama looks just like rice.

13. Meg
    19 June, 2009 at 2:36 pm (5 years ago)

I absolutely love your recipes. :)

This looks absolutely wonderful, definitely something I’ll have to try! I think the toppings you and Emily had are great! Love to try them both :P

Have a great Friday!
    Meg

14. CurlyTop
    19 June, 2009 at 3:20 pm (5 years ago)

Maggie,

Yay for FUSHI! I’ll post about this tommorow love.

Have a great day!

Emily

15. Sagan
    19 June, 2009 at 3:25 pm (5 years ago)

Wow, that’s such a creative idea! I love it!

16. Meg Wolff
    19 June, 2009 at 3:53 pm (5 years ago)

This looks so fresh, delicious (and creative as usual!).

17. MarathonVal
    19 June, 2009 at 4:04 pm (5 years ago)

I love the idea of grating the jicama – I wonder if it would work in a blender since my food processor is broken…

18. Anne K.
    19 June, 2009 at 10:33 pm (5 years ago)

That fushi looks so awesome! I have to give this a try :D

20 June, 2009 at 3:14 am (5 years ago)

this sounds delicious!!! I’ve never had jicama… does i really taste like rice or it just looks like rice?
    this combo is perfect for the warm weather! I’ll get some other veggies for topping I guess, like soy bean sprouts, baked tofu!

20. Lara (Thinspired)
    20 June, 2009 at 5:38 am (5 years ago)

Firstly, your blog looks great!
    The “rice” is pretty genius. I don’t know whether I love it or hate it though, because rice is one of my favorite foods so I would miss it from the sushi…on the other hand, having a healthier substitute is really great!

21. Gena
    21 June, 2009 at 7:03 am (5 years ago)

Gorgeous!!

22. dog
    5 May, 2011 at 2:36 am (3 years ago)

[...] What the fushi? | Say Yes to Salad [...]

23. Ayesha Hindes
    1 September, 2011 at 6:20 am (3 years ago)

Excellent story once again.! I am looking forward for more updates!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on What the fushi?