Sushi Fridays, Chayote, Delicious Fruit

I think Bobby and I are going to start doing “Sushi Friday” every week.  We did it yesterday and also last Friday (Bobby’s birthday) when my mom was here.  I made kabocha-ushi and real sushi.  This fushi stuff is my new obsession.  Thanks Emily :)  We had:

39 sushi friday

• sashimi on the far right (tuna, salmon, and yellowtail pieces – precut from Han Kook)
  • sushi rice (for Bobby – white rice + vinegar/sugar mix)
  • seaweed (nori) and lettuce for wrapping
  • jicama “rice”
  • shredded kabocha + garlic, sauteed
  • daikon sprouts
  • bacon bits
  • soy sauce + wasabi for dipping

I did not make enough of the fushi ingredients because I underestimated my white-carb-loving boyfriend.  Bobby loved the shredded kabocha, loved the bacon bits, the sprouts, and he even loved the jicama rice.  This is a boy who could live on white rice – I couldn’t believe he enjoyed my crazy version.  He tried the wraps with regular rice and with the jicama and actually preferred the jicama rice for these wraps.  He says it was very “fresh“.  I’ll definitely be making this again.

When I was at Han Kook getting the sashimi and some groceries, I picked up this guy:

41 chayote

Heather had one the other day so I wanted to try it.  It’s called a chayote.  Chayote has a big booty.  What should I do with it?

This morning Bobby and I went to the farmers’ market where we got these delicious yellow nectarines and yellow peaches – 3 pounds for $5.

40 yellow nectarines peaches

My mom and I got them last week from the same place (we tried all of the stands and this one was the best).  They’re really delicious.  I like eating them when they’re still really firm, and so does Bobby, so we found the firmest ones possible.

In other news, I have a new layout!  Thanks for the comments on it so far :)  Stop by and check it out to let me know what you think.  Happy Saturday!  What have you done so far this weekend? Remember to call your dad tomorrow :)

11 Comments on Sushi Fridays, Chayote, Delicious Fruit

1. FoodsThatFit
    20 June, 2009 at 4:42 pm (6 years ago)

I think the new layout looks great!

The jicama rice sounds like it would be pretty good! I have seen those chayote squash, but have NO idea what to do with it. I’d love to hear any ideas you get about it. I have seen them at our local grocery store as well, but always pass them by.

2. Sarah (LovIN My Tummy)
    20 June, 2009 at 4:44 pm (6 years ago)

Your fushi spread looks so fun! I love the new layout too…so fresh and so clean!

3. Jess
    20 June, 2009 at 5:17 pm (6 years ago)

Sushi fridays sounds like such fun!
    Love your new layout!
    <3 jess

4. Kimberly
    20 June, 2009 at 6:06 pm (6 years ago)

i usually sliced up the chayote and stir fry it with some garlic and maybe throwo in some oyster mushrooms as well.

5. shelly
    20 June, 2009 at 8:13 pm (6 years ago)

Your Chayote is very common in New Orleans, but we call it a Mirliton. Most people cut it up and make it into a casserole with shrimp, crab meat, a creamy base and breadcrumbs; but my friend cut it into small pieces and roasted it in the oven until it was kind of blackened and I thought that was the perfect way to prepare it.

6. Maria
    20 June, 2009 at 8:53 pm (6 years ago)

Love the new layout Maggie! So clean and clear :). Maybe try roasting the squash? I’ve never tried the chayote squash before. Maybe I should pick some up if I hear good things about it. I really need to go get some jicama too. Thanks for all these inspirations and hope you have a lovely Sunday!

7. Mara @ What's for Dinner?
    20 June, 2009 at 9:26 pm (6 years ago)

Fiance and I have been doing Sushi Friday when we can afford it for the last 3 years!! It’s such a great tradition!

8. Pearl
    20 June, 2009 at 11:17 pm (6 years ago)

sushi friday sounds like a great idea! so fun!

20 June, 2009 at 11:45 pm (6 years ago)

I could live on SUSHI night! yeah for Friday!
    We went to the Farmer’s Market too! so much fun. i found itsy bitsy beets. so cute!

i’m off to get my cards all ready for the breakfast tomorrow.
    sigh

can’t wait for Sea World

xo

21 June, 2009 at 4:10 am (6 years ago)

sushi friday sounds a great idea for the summer!!! I went to korean store yesterday to look for jicama and couldn’t find it :( I’ll try today again in store other store…. I really want to try that!!!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Sushi Fridays, Chayote, Delicious Fruit

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1796