As promised… Chayote!

I decided to keep it simple with my chayote since I’d never had it before.  I chopped it in quarters and discovered a soft, pit-like thing.  I discarded it.  I probably could have kept it… but I didn’t know? What do you do?

08 chayote

Then I chopped it in pieces.

09 chayote

And I sauteed it with sesame oil, grated organic garlic, and chili powder.  First I heated the oil and added the garlic to let it get crispy, then I added the chayote and chili.  I used a cast-iron skillet (Wagner Ware, really old, from my Grandma) which is my new obsession.

10 chayote

It was good.  It didn’t really taste like much besides garlic and chili powder (which I do love).  I think it tends to take on the flavors of whatever you cook it with.  I would definitely get it again, but it’s nothing terribly special.  It’s cheap too, which is always good.  I think it was about $0.79/pound, but I don’t remember exactly.

While I was cooking I snacked on a few pieces raw, and they were good too – nice and refreshingly crunchy.  I think it would be good on a salad.

I did a litle research on chayotes – they’re members of the gourd family (melons, cucumbers, squash).  It’s native to Mexico.  Apparently the root, leaves, stem, and seeds of the chayote are all edible – but we usually just eat the fruit.  From Wikipedia: “The leaves and fruit have diuretic, cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory properties, and a tea made from the leaves has been used in the treatment of arteriosclerosis and hypertension, and to dissolve kidney stones.

Sounds good to me!  Will you try it? I got mine at the Asian market but they’re also in Whole Foods, Mexican/Latino markets, and sometimes even regular grocery stores.

Hope you’re all having a lovely weekend… I went to the farmers’ market this morning but didn’t get anything.  I also did some yoga and made an interesting bowl of green oat bran, which I’ll post about tomorrow probably.  Enjoy the day :)

16 Comments on As promised… Chayote!

1. smurfette
    27 June, 2009 at 2:01 pm (5 years ago)

Hey Maggie,

I am mexican and my grandfather would make chayote with everything he would put it in soups and I remeber eating it with chorizo or some type of sausage I liked the soup its kinda tasteless I agree. My parents still cook mole my grandfather from mexico added peanut butter to it as a secret ingedient it was delicious my mom can cook it but I can”t .

2. Shelby
    27 June, 2009 at 4:47 pm (5 years ago)

hehe, I love the word gourd!

3. Maria
    27 June, 2009 at 5:51 pm (5 years ago)

You’ve convinced me to check out that interesting squash! Sounds like it has lots of great benefits :). Thanks for the info, Maggie, and hope you have a great evening!

4. Sophia
    27 June, 2009 at 7:15 pm (5 years ago)

Yay! That’s so cool to learn about “foreign” produce…That looks a lot like guava…does it taste like one?

5. Biz
    27 June, 2009 at 9:58 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve seen those at my ethnic grocery store, but never knew what to do with them! Thanks for this post!

6. Lynn (The Actors Diet)
    28 June, 2009 at 12:09 am (5 years ago)

I’ve seen these before but never tried them or knew what they were called. Thanks for the post!

7. Tina
    28 June, 2009 at 3:11 am (5 years ago)

That is definitely an interesting fruit (vegetable?) Looks like a pear! I love discovering and trying new fruits and veggies!

28 June, 2009 at 3:19 am (5 years ago)

This sounds interesting…I thought it was a fruit but as you sauteed it I guess it’s more like a vegetable! :)
    Enjoy your Sunday!

9. Lynn
    28 June, 2009 at 6:02 am (5 years ago)

I have the same thoughts on the chayote… it’s rather bland alone but picks up the taste with whatever you cook it in!

28 June, 2009 at 7:24 am (5 years ago)

Maggie,
    Thanks for the chayote info. At least you figured out more about it – I just chucked the whole squash in my Vita-Mix and blended it up in raw soup. Your version sound much more exciting! Hope you have a good day. Looking forward to more info. about your green oats. I had an oatgurt disaster this morning myself. :(

11. Kimberly
    28 June, 2009 at 2:57 pm (5 years ago)

Chayote is so sweet and easy to dice and chop!

12. Alison
    28 June, 2009 at 5:10 pm (5 years ago)

Cool! I’ve seen this at the store. I’d love to try it.

13. Tricia
    28 June, 2009 at 5:38 pm (5 years ago)

I liked steamed chayote!

14. clare
    28 June, 2009 at 10:17 pm (5 years ago)

thank you maggie for taking the time to post all this awesome information and all the things you try. youve got me onto kabocha so i will def give this a try soon!

thanks, happy monday!

15. Lara (Thinspired)
    29 June, 2009 at 2:36 am (5 years ago)

Maggie, you are so good about trying new foods. I need to start venturing out more! I haven’t even tried green oats yet! :/

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on As promised… Chayote!

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1796