Chard Oat Bran & salad (duh)

I bought red chard last weekend at the farmers’ market for $1…

15 rhubarb 300x225 Chard Oat Bran & salad (duh)

But I had no idea what to do with it.  It sat in my fridge all week until yesterday when I decided to try adding chard to my oat bran (instead of just spinach). I used half chard greens, half spinach.

14 green rhubarb oat bran 300x225 Chard Oat Bran & salad (duh)

It had a few pretty red specks from the red chard!

Surprisingly good.  I could definitely taste the chard more than I can normally taste the spinach, but I liked it.  I don’t think this would be a good choice for someone new to green oats though – too intense.

Instead of my usual peanut/almond butter, I used ABU (3-4 tablespoons?).  I loved how the ABU blended so smoothly into the oat bran.  Sometimes with nut butters I get lumps, even after blending – I prefer no lumps of nut butter so this was great.

Since it’s summer, I’ve been having a lot of salads.  Okay, I always have a lot of salads.  But more so now, if that’s even possible.  A recent addition has been honey mustard salmon, which is just the cheapo salmon from Han Kook (the ugly cuts after they cut the sashimi – $1.50/pound) rubbed with honey, mustard, and lemon juice.  Then I bake it and put it on top of things like this:

06 salmon salad 300x225 Chard Oat Bran & salad (duh)

Can’t forget those vegan bacon bits.  I’m actually all out and need to get more very soon.  I decided to make my own honey mustard dressing (since I love Annie’s lite honey mustard so much) but it’s still a work in progress.  I forget which dressing went on this salad.

I’m teaching the Math SAT all day and I’m on my lunch break… it’s very hot.  I want to go home and do some yoga.  This morning I did a 35 minute flow on my own to some yoga music.  Hope your Sunday is going well icon smile Chard Oat Bran & salad (duh)

22 Comments on Chard Oat Bran & salad (duh)

1. Melinda
    28 June, 2009 at 2:35 pm (5 years ago)

Those green oats look good- I will have to try that out!

2. Shelby
    28 June, 2009 at 3:37 pm (5 years ago)

Yummy! I love adding rhubarb and strawberries to oatmeal.

3. Shelby
    28 June, 2009 at 3:38 pm (5 years ago)

Wait…aren’t rhubarb leaves poisonous?

4. Willa
    28 June, 2009 at 3:57 pm (5 years ago)

Yeah I think rhubarb leaves are poisonous too..!!

5. Maria
    28 June, 2009 at 4:51 pm (5 years ago)

I baked a rhubarb crisp the other day, and it was very good. Rhubarb is actually good in all desserts, if you want something to do with it. Love honey mustard salad on greens, mmmm. Hope the rest of your Sunday goes well and that you have fun doing yoga :)

6. Sophia
    28 June, 2009 at 5:02 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve never had rhubarb, but I think I’ve tried the greens before…Do they get all velvety when cooked? Anyway, LOVE your green oat bowls of course! :D

7. Biz
    28 June, 2009 at 5:23 pm (5 years ago)

I never would have known that either Maggie, so don’t feel bad! You’d think they would chop off the leaves of the rhubarb before selling it!!

8. Hil
    28 June, 2009 at 6:09 pm (5 years ago)

I love it when big bunches of greens are only $1 at the farmers market…fantastic.

9. Christina
    28 June, 2009 at 6:30 pm (5 years ago)

Aww it’s ok Maggie! I don’t think it’s nearly as poisonous as we think. I looked it up in my Food Lover’s Companion and the reason they’re considered poisoness is because they contain oxalic acid – which I then flipped to. It says: This acid occurs in many plants and is poisonous in excessive amounts. Some of the plants that contain a measurable amount of oxalic acid are sorrel, spinach and rhubarb. Because it forms insoluble compounds with calcium and iron, inhibiting their absorbtion by the human body, oxalic acid greatly diminishes the purported nutritional punch of spinach.

10. Kimberly@Living Free
    28 June, 2009 at 6:38 pm (5 years ago)

Hello Maggie,
    I just recently discovered your blog:) I have never tried rhubarb. It looks like pink celery. What does it taste like? I wouldn’t have a clue how to use it and I certainly wouldn’t have known about the greens. I thought it was interesting what Christina said about the oxalic acid in spinach. Does this mean all the spinach I eat is worthless. I hope not and I don’t think so, but just wondering.

11. carolinebee
    28 June, 2009 at 6:44 pm (5 years ago)

dude i’m glad you’re ok!! I wouldn’t have known they were poisonous either- lame.

12. Lynn
    28 June, 2009 at 7:22 pm (5 years ago)

Woah glad you are ok from the rhubarb greens!!

I have been eating rhubarb sooo much lately, cant get enough this season! :D

13. Leng
    28 June, 2009 at 7:40 pm (5 years ago)

Rhubarb leaves are poisonous? I never knew that! At what state are they poisonous? Meaning are they only poisonous raw or cooked a certain way? That is pretty amazing.

14. MarathonVal
    28 June, 2009 at 8:29 pm (5 years ago)

Don’t give up on rhubarb though, it is SO good in desserts, such as rhubarb and strawberry pie! But thats so weird that they even sell the darn leaves if you arent supposed to eat them, lol.

15. Hangry Pants
    28 June, 2009 at 8:36 pm (5 years ago)

Rhubarb is fantastic in desserts like pies and crumbles or muffins when matched with strawberries. I bet you could do something a little healthier with that and maybe some oats or oat bran or something. And poisonous leaves – that is news to me. Yikes!

16. clare
    28 June, 2009 at 10:19 pm (5 years ago)

i love strawberry rhubarb oat bran! i found a recipe for rhubarb sorbet i want to try too.

17. Lara (Thinspired)
    29 June, 2009 at 2:34 am (5 years ago)

I had no idea the leaves were poisionous! My mother in law always uses it to make a rhubarb crumble. I bet you could come up with a scrumptious, healthy dessert with it!

29 June, 2009 at 3:12 am (5 years ago)

same craving for salad here too!! :D

19. elise
    29 June, 2009 at 10:30 am (5 years ago)

eek! thanks for passing that tidbit on. ive never bought rhubarb, but i COULD def see myself eating the leaves if and when i did buy it!!!

20. Justine
    29 June, 2009 at 11:18 am (5 years ago)

Wow! Had no idea that rhubarb leaves were poisonous. Thanks for the heads up. I wish so bad I could get fresh seafood here! The seafood here really sucks and I love it so so much :( . Have a happy Monday!

~Justine

21. Sarah Marie
    14 July, 2009 at 6:04 am (5 years ago)

Hey, I think what you have there is red chard, not rhubarb. So I wouldn’t worry about poisoning — eat all the chard greens you want. The stems on red chard do kind of look like rhubarb, though!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Chard Oat Bran & salad (duh)

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619