Have you checked out Healthy Yum yet? Give it a shot… tons of great entries so far 🙂
I made this side dish 2 days ago and then again yesterday. I had 5 eggplants (the long skinny kind; now I only have 3) to use up and this is a delicious way to do so. It serves just one. I used a ton of spices – eggplant is the perfect palette for strong flavors.
Sesame’d Spiced Eggplant
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil
- 3-5 cloves of garlic, grated (or crushed and chopped finely)
- 1 eggplant (2+ cups chopped?)
- spices (1/2 teaspoon each) – chili powder, turmeric, Asian 5-spice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water
- a few teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Heat the oil in a skillet (I used cast iron) over high heat. Add the garlic; saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the eggplant. Add the spices and stir around; saute for a minute. Add the vinegar and soy sauce and continue to saute for another 30 seconds. Add 1/4 cup water and stir as it evaporates. Repeat again if you like.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds and devour.
It was really good; definitely give it a try. It’s kind of like my Savory Eggplant Stir-fry, which is also yummy.
Another yummy thing that I’ve been doing is super thick and creamy oat bran. If you cook it with a lot of water, and cook it for longer, it gets very voluminous and thick. I use almost 1.5 cups of water (plus a little more than 1/4 cup PBU and a big dash of salt) to cook 1/2 cup oat bran.
I let it cool slightly in the pot before I dump it in the bowl (making sure to scrape every last bit), and top with sesame seeds… then cool it some more. I like my oat bran at room temperature. I’ll evn put it in the fridge/freezer to speed up the cooling, depending on how hungry I am. What temperature do you like your oats/oat bran?
I haven’t really decided what I’m doing today. Yoga definitely (this morning) and working on the new site. We have gotten so many awesome entries. I think I want to do some slow yoga today. I’ve been doing these faster and sweatier routines recently, but I kind of miss the relaxation bit. I did Sara Ivanhoe’s Sunset Yoga yesterday afternoon and it was really nice for relaxing. Maybe I’ll do a shorter vigorous flow and follow it up with something slow. Thanks for all the congrats about the headstand – I tried to do it again yesterday but couldn’t get away from the wall. But I’ll keep trying.
Have a great Thursday!