I was ogling over all the HealthyYums the other day when I found this submission. Maggie from Pithy and Cleaver has a great blog and I was inspired by her post! On Friday I went to Whole Foods and picked up some trout (Maggie used monkfish, but trout is cheaper), fresh organic tomatoes, and headed back home to make dinner. And hey, if you don’t eat fish… well, the salsa is vegan
Salsa’d Chili Trout
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped onion – white and red
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 nectarine/peach, sliced
- juice from a small lime (2 tablespoons?)
- 1-2 tablespoons vinegar (rice vinegar)
- spices (1/4 teaspoon each): chili powder, cumin, salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (fresh would be better!)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped in 1cm cubes (ish)
- 1/3 ear of corn off the cob (1/3 cup? 1/4 cup?)
- for the fish – 2 fresh trout (with skin – it was about .7 pounds total for 2 people), salt, chili powder, lemon juice, several tablespoons of olive oil
- Pulse the onion, garlic, and peach in a food processor until finely chopped (or do it by hand).
- Dump them into a bowl and add the chopped tomato, corn, lime juice, vinegar, oregano, and spices. Mix well, and add more salt if needed. Now you have the salsa.
- Rub the fish with lemon juice, chili powder, and salt. Heat the oil in a pan on high heat; place the fish skin down in the pan. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 5 minutes (or until cooked through).
- Top the fish with fresh salsa and serve with basmati rice.
This was really amazing. Thanks for the inspiration, Maggie! Bobby has requested that I made this again, and soon.
I watched Food, Inc. last night. All I have to say right now is… Wow. I brought my notebook and I have a ton of stuff I want to say about it, but that’s going to be for another day this week. I need to let everything sink in and get my thoughts together. I also have some cool new things I’ve tried, and more sunbutter.
Did you all get the first HealthyYum newsletter? I am so excited for this site – and the newsletter was really run; we featured some of our favorite foods, bloggers, activities, and healthy tips/news.
Happy Monday! We’re seeing Coldplay tonight