A day in the life

Disclaimer (got this from Ellie) – everything pictured was eaten; not everything eaten was pictured.

Yesterday I started off the morning starving, so I chopped a cantaloupe in half and ate the entire thing with a spoon.  This was between 9:30-10:30am. I think there was more fruit as well. I’ve been working on a watermelon and some bananas.

36 cantaloupe 300x225 A day in the life

When I got a package from Amazing Grass I jumped right in.  I had this Very cool Organic GREENSuperFood Chocolate Whole Food Energy Bar (raw, cold processed, alkaline, gluten free, fair trade, dairy free, vegan). The bar was so delicious – chocolate coating, and the inside was perfectly sweet, raw, and delicious.  I’d highly recommend it.  (Nutritionals – 230 calories, 9 grams fat, 37 carbs, 4 fiber, 5 protein, lots of vitamins.) I had this around 11:15am. I was still feeling peckish so I had a bunch of baby carrots as well (unpictured).

02 grass chocolate bar 300x225 A day in the life

Sometime in the afternoon after I taught my class (Geometry) I made myself a large bowl of oat bran (heaping 1/2 cup dry) with avocado (1/2 of a big one) and honey (2-3 tablespoons).  Oh, and I cooked it in water and unsweetened almond milk.

03 oat bran avocado honey 300x225 A day in the life

I did some yoga – 60 minutes of a Wade Zinter flow (9/5/08).  I just picked one that said it had twists in it.  It didn’t actually have that many. After that I tried 2 more Amazing Grass products…

05 amazing grass 225x300 A day in the life

06 amazing grass mango pomegranate 300x225 A day in the life

07 amazing grass chocolate 300x225 A day in the life

Amazing MealPomegranate Mango Infusion.  I had a whole packet mixed with almond milk and water.  (Nutritionals – 110 calories, 1 gram fat, 13 carbs, 6 fiber, 10 protein.)  It was… okay.  I was way more impressed by the delicious amazing bar I had in the morning.  This tasted kind of chalky. I also tried another Amazing MealChocolate Infusion.  Same thing – a whole packet mixed with water and unsweetened almond milk.  This was much better.  Still a little bit chalky, but chocolatey too. Yummy.  And I was snacking on a bunch of these (Ezekiel bread with raw honey):

10 bread raw honey 300x225 A day in the life

I decided to stick with the starch theme of the day and make another avocado-honey pizza for me (Bobby had a normal pizza on the other half).  I had the whole half on the left seen here.

09 pizza 300x225 A day in the life

And more slices of bread with raw honey as dessert.  I actually skipped the chocolate yesterday; I think I had too much the day before and it didn’t feel too good.

Apparently I had this too (it’s in my camera) – maybe with dinner, or before dinner, or in the afternoon (baby carrots with raw honey):

08 raw honey carrots 300x225 A day in the life

Again, everything pictured was eaten; not everything eaten was pictured.

Do you guys have questions about anything I’m doing with my food combining?  I’ve emailed a lot of people individually, but maybe I should do a more comprehensive post regarding this new combining thing that I’m going…  Again, I’m *not* trying to eat raw.  I’m trying to:

• eat fruit in the morning.
  • for the rest of the day – keep “starch”, “flesh”, and “nuts/seeds/dried fruit” in their separate categories.  these categories don’t “combine”. however, raw veggies combine with all of these categories and cooked veggies combine with the first two.

Hope this helps icon smile A day in the life   Happy Hump Day!

28 Comments on A day in the life

1. Maria
    22 July, 2009 at 10:18 am (5 years ago)

Avocado + honey seems like a prevalent combo in your diet lately–I really need to try it! Oooh I spy the raw honey jar from Whole Foods. I’ve never tried it before, does it taste like normal honey?

I hate that uncomfortable feeling when I eat too much, so I’m glad you don’t get that while trying to gain weight!

Yay for Amazing Grass. I am getting a bit obsessed with their bars and shakes ;)

2. Michelle
    22 July, 2009 at 10:21 am (5 years ago)

Hi Maggie,
    I would personally love to hear more about the food combining. I’m interested in learning more about it, and it’s benefits. Thanks for sharing–I enjoy reading your blog!
    Michelle

3. kim
    22 July, 2009 at 10:22 am (5 years ago)

hi Maggie, but how come you can combine oat bran (starch) and almond milk (nuts)?

4. JB
    22 July, 2009 at 10:34 am (5 years ago)

avocado on oat bran sounds pretty tasty! i bet their consistencies go really well with one another. happy hump day to you too! i don’t have any plans to go raw either (nor do i follow food combining rules) but i DID make a couple of awesome raw recipes. a couple last night and one this morning. i wrote about them in my post today incase you want to take a look!

22 July, 2009 at 10:50 am (5 years ago)

You are doing better than me but I am trying to keep this all up AND omit grains…. I wish I needed to gain a few lbs! It’s getting easier …. I am off for a green smoothie!

Happy Wednesday
    and yes…. please do a post on this!!! it’s amazing!

btw pizza w avo sounds like HEAVEN right about now!

6. Erin
    22 July, 2009 at 10:56 am (5 years ago)

GL with your goals! That ‘loupe looks spectacular. :)

7. smurfette
    22 July, 2009 at 11:32 am (5 years ago)

I am gonna start reading that book now. I can’t wait! I love avocado but I have never had it with honey sounds like a good idea!

8. Gaby
    22 July, 2009 at 11:33 am (5 years ago)

Mags! YOu read my mind! I was about to post a message to you today to see if you’d share more of what you’re eating. The food combining thing really intrigues me and I’m giving it a try too. Especially since you’re also trying to gain weight and understand my tummy troubles, I’d love to hear more or chat about how you’re doing it.
    I did some research online and sort of get the idea, but a lot of the info is conflicting or confusing so I’ve been just trying to keep a good balance and keep like foods together.
    I NEED to try avocado and honey! And also need to take a trip to WF for some raw honey, yum!
    Take care! I’m looking fwd to more photo inspiration :)

9. Alison
    22 July, 2009 at 12:04 pm (5 years ago)

Mmm…raw honey sounds really good.
    I wasn’t that impressed with the pomegranate mango flavor either. I’ve heard poor reviews of that flavor from other people too.

10. Rose
    22 July, 2009 at 1:34 pm (5 years ago)

Oooh, I like the way you split a pizza!

11. Yasmin
    22 July, 2009 at 1:39 pm (5 years ago)

That cantaloupe looks delicious. And is that avocado in oat bran? I thought I had creative concoctions…

12. Meg Wolff
    22 July, 2009 at 3:57 pm (5 years ago)

The melon looks great. Have you ever tried it with a squeeze of lime juice? Nice that you made Bobby his own pizza.

13. Justine
    22 July, 2009 at 3:59 pm (5 years ago)

Yummy! That raw honey looks great! Are you feeling good still. I feel alright. Been kinda hungry today. That pizza looks fab by the way. Where did you get the crust? I just don’t see you gaining on this “diet”. Arent you supposed to lose weight on it?

~Justine

14. Shelby
    22 July, 2009 at 4:36 pm (5 years ago)

You are doing such a great job! Mmm and I love your pizza idea! YUM!

22 July, 2009 at 4:48 pm (5 years ago)

You’re really making it tempting to try it out! Love that avocado pizza!!! :)

16. brian
    22 July, 2009 at 5:37 pm (5 years ago)

Hi,

I am concerned about your food combining. Please do not get sucked into this gimmick. From my favorite doctor Dr. Mirkin,

The authors claim that eating protein and carbohydrates, or fat and carbohydrates together causes problems because they require different enzymes for digestion, and either acid or alkaline conditions. They give you elaborate lists of foods that you should or should not eat at the same meal.
    If any of this were true, the human race would be extinct. Few foods are “pure” protein, carbohydrate or fat. Your digestive system has evolved to deal with mixed foods, and the enzymes secreted by your pancreas can digest them all in any combination.

17. Sophia
    22 July, 2009 at 6:34 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve heard abt food combining, but I always thought it was just for those with weight loss in mind? But I hope you find what works best for you for your own body!
    avocado with oat bran and honey? Never tried that, but looks interesting! :-)

18. Sagan
    22 July, 2009 at 6:41 pm (5 years ago)

I’d really like it if you wrote a post about that! Am interested in learning more.

It’s funny, but the honey on bread is what makes my mouth water the most. I love those simple simple meals.

19. The Dainty Pig
    22 July, 2009 at 7:21 pm (5 years ago)

hello friend!

I would love to read more about the specific food combining guidelines you are following (or even if you wouldn’t mind sending me a short/quick email when you have the chance). I think your new eats look fantastic!! avocado and honey….i must try this!!!

glad to see/read that you are feeling good these days, and managing tummy troubles :D
    hope your week is going wonderfully!!

xoxo

22 July, 2009 at 8:12 pm (5 years ago)

There is that green pizza again Maggie. I MUST MAKE THAT SOON! Just seeing it on your blog makes me happy.

Loving all the raw honey action…especially on your avocado oats. :)

21. clare
    22 July, 2009 at 9:49 pm (5 years ago)

are oats a starch? so combining nut butter and oats is not a good idea? id love to know more about this…

22. insideiamdancing
    22 July, 2009 at 10:10 pm (5 years ago)

Honey rocks my world. I think if I tried food combining, my meals would consist of honey on toast and not much else :P

So glad that you are feeling the benefits from this, Maggie- yeah, weight gain can be annoying but a worthwhile investment in your health/future :)

23. April
    23 July, 2009 at 7:19 pm (5 years ago)

I am very intrigued on food combining. I’ve been on a protein, carb, fat combo for so long i’m looking for something different. I’m not vegetarian and I will not eat fake products but I do eat chicken w/ sweet potatoes and I think that’s a no no right? I have major digestive issues so this may be why?

24. Lara (Thinspired)
    24 July, 2009 at 2:49 am (5 years ago)

This was a fun post, and I like the disclaimer :) I’m on a huge cantaloupe kick, too! That’s what summer is for, right? It really seems like food combining is agreeing with you. I hope you are enjoying your break :) Look forward to having you back!

25. The Healthy Apple
    29 July, 2009 at 1:51 pm (5 years ago)

I love those Chocolate bars—soo yummy and sooo nutritious!!!

Have a great day.

Best,

Amie

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on A day in the life

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619