Gazpacho Recipe (Raw)

I made gazpacho two nights in a row a few days ago. I happened upon a guy at the farmers’ market selling bags of slightly mushy (but not bad yet) tomatoes for $1 each – and each bag was probably 3-4 pounds of tomatoes!  I snagged one bag of heirlooms (these are $5.99/pound at Whole Foods!) and one bag of normal ones.  So then I had to use them up quickly. This is what I came up with.

Raw Gazpacho

27 gazpacho

Ingredients (2 large portions)

• 2-3 very large tomatoes (or maybe 5-6 medium ones) – I actually liked it best with the regular tomatoes; heirlooms are sweeter and best enjoyed alone!
  • 3 cloves of garlic (more or less depending on how much you like it)
  • (optional: 1 small zucchini or summer squash, shredded – I liked it better without, but it’s still good)
  • 1 ear of raw corn (cut off the cob)
  • 1/2 teaspoon each: dried oregano, chili powder, cumin
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (to taste; add one tablespoon and then mix – then add more if needed)

Directions

1. In a food processor blend up the garlic. Roughly chop the tomatoes and add them as well.  Blend until it’s a nice puree.  If you want to add zucchini/summer squash, add it now and blend some more. I added summer squash the first night and left it out the next; I preferred it without but it does add a nice flavor if you’re into summer squash.
  2. You can add the corn to the food processor OR you can just mix it in – I like to add half to the processor and have the other half remain in whole kernels in the soup.
  3. Dump everything in a bowl and add the spices and balsamic vinegar.  Mix well and tweak everything to your own preference.

Serve chilled.  Enjoy :) What’s your favorite summer soup?

P.S.  If you’re food combining, this is neutral – all raw veggies! Enjoy with anything.

19 Comments on Gazpacho Recipe (Raw)

1. Shelby
    29 July, 2009 at 10:31 am (5 years ago)

Favorite summer soup? I think smoothies in bowls are my favorite. So refreshing and light =)

2. Lara (Thinspired)
    29 July, 2009 at 11:42 am (5 years ago)

Looks great! I was going to ask for the recipe so you read my mind :)

3. Chelsea
    29 July, 2009 at 1:36 pm (5 years ago)

I am so excited to try the recipe, i serve this soup all the time at the diner i waitress at and am so curious!!!

4. Amanda4Sensei
    29 July, 2009 at 2:01 pm (5 years ago)

This gazpacho recipe looks so easy..and delicious! Putting it on my list of must makes..thanks!

5. Anna
    29 July, 2009 at 2:15 pm (5 years ago)

As a spanish fellow, I’m in love with gazpacho, I use to enjoy it almost every week!! it’s common to add some cucumber, it makes it softer, you may like to try it :)

29 July, 2009 at 2:25 pm (5 years ago)

it looks so fresh! :)
    I’m not a cold soup lover, so I don’t have any favorite summer soup.

7. Biz
    29 July, 2009 at 3:19 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve never been a fan of cold or room temperature soup – my mom and I once tried a chilled asparagus soup, and while okay, we asked if they could heat it up for us! :D

8. Peggy (Mom)
    29 July, 2009 at 3:26 pm (5 years ago)

You know…when you were 3 you would snack on raw green beans at your Dad’s softball games. I wonder if that was a foreshadowing!

9. Maria
    29 July, 2009 at 3:56 pm (5 years ago)

Oooh sounds fabulous, Maggie! Thanks for typing up the recipe :) It is getting so hot here in Seattle that I really do need to find something I can eat without sweating like a made woman!

My favorite cold soup is actually gazpacho, yummy! I actually haven’t tried any other cold soups, so maybe that’s why it’s my fav?

By the way, I gave you a lovely blog award :)

10. Ada
    29 July, 2009 at 4:20 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for the great recipe! Gazpacho happens to be one of my all time favorite foods:)

11. CaSaundra
    29 July, 2009 at 5:23 pm (5 years ago)

I love getting super deals on produce–and gazpacho is suuuuch a good summery addition to any meal!

12. She-Fit
    29 July, 2009 at 6:05 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve never tried gazpacho. It sounds really good though. Maybe I will have to try it. I have been stuck on the Southwestern Chicken Soup from Progresso Light

29 July, 2009 at 6:49 pm (5 years ago)

I don’t have a favorite summer soup cuz it’s summer and I haven’t learned yet to enjoy soup cold.

BUT your recipe looks rather refreshing and I think I may just give it a go!!!

I REALLY appreciate your info on the food combining part! That’s good to know!

happy wednesday!!!

14. Justine
    30 July, 2009 at 5:22 am (5 years ago)

Yum Maggie, thanks for the recipe. Great deal on the tomatoes. My husband hacked down almost my whole tomato plant trying to be helpful and I havent gotten a tomato since :(. Guess I will have to give in and buy some.

~Justine

15. healthy ashley
    30 July, 2009 at 5:49 am (5 years ago)

I had gazpacho once on a cruise and really didn’t care for it. maybe I shoud try it once myself and see if it tastes any better!

16. charlene
    31 July, 2009 at 8:46 am (5 years ago)

I LOVE gazpacho. I need to try this, I tell myself I will make it but never get around to it!

17. Michal
    1 August, 2009 at 1:18 pm (5 years ago)

Hmm my favorite summer soup? I love putting my smoothies in bowls and making them into soups does that count? hehe :)

18. Sally
    4 August, 2009 at 2:59 pm (5 years ago)

I made this soup for lunch today and it was so good! Thanks for the recipe Maggie!