I’ve seen this on a lot of blogs but namely HEABS and Gena are my inspirations here. I have made a whole bunch of variations on this, but this is the basic recipe. I’ll show variations below.
Massaged Kale Salad
Ingredients (serves 2-3, or 1 salad girl)
- 1 bunch of kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (I know; it’s a lot – you don’t need this much though)
- 1/2 avocado
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- chili powder, salt, pepper to taste
- 1 shredded carrot
- Remove the kale from the stems and rip it into pieces. Pour on the oil and add the avocado and massage them all together.
- Add the spices, vinegar, lemon juice, carrot, and mix some more. Serve!
Some variations – any kind of shredded veggie will do in place of carrot. I’m trying to cut down on my orange food consumption because I got the dreaded orange tint. Oh, well. Haven’t had kabocha in probably 2-3 weeks now, but I probably still eat enough carrots to still be orange. You definitely don’t have to use as much olive oil; I change it up depending on my mood. If I use more, I might not finish the whole salad in one sitting. More oil does make it really delicious though.
I had it one night with some pork and a whole hunk of sauerkraut.
I’m trying to eat more (organic, free-range) meat for various reasons, and this meal was a major success. Be back soon!