I was tagged to list 10 things about myself yesterday, so here goes. I’m giving it a linguistics theme.
- My favorite website is the Online Etymology Dictionary.
- I occasionally read the (other) OED for fun. I don’t have my own copy, but my birthday is coming up!
- One of my favorite foods is squash. The word squash comes from the Algonquian word askutasquash, which literally means “the green things that may be eaten raw,” from askut – “green, raw” + asquash – “eaten”. (The -ash is a plural affix like in succotash.) It was first recorded in 1643.
- When I was little I fell asleep in this position all the time. My dad thought it was funny to take pictures of it. This happens to be on halloween. (I was a pumpkin.)
The verb sleep comes from a Germanic root meaning “to be weak, to sleep”. It might have a connection with the adjective slack.
- I love salad. The word salad comes from a latin term meaning “salted vegetables”… salt and salad have the same root. The phrase “salad bar” appeared first in 1979.
- I love yoga. Yoga comes from Hindi and from Sanskrit yoga-s, literally “union, yoking”, from the base *yeug- “to join” (like jugular).
- I sang in Carnegie Hall with my choir when I was 10. Hall comes from a base meaning “to hide, steal”. “Hall of Fame” was first used in 1901 in reference to Columbia College.
- I am procrastinating from writing the Geometry test that I have to give tomorrow. Geometry comes from words meaning “earth”, “land”, and “measure” = “measurement of earth or land”.
- I do not feel like coming up with 2 more things so this is my list. 🙂
Enjoy your Thursday… Gotta go write up a Geometry test now. Almost the weekend!
What’s your favorite word?