Chunky PB & Raw Salad

Do you like chunky peanut butter or smooth and creamy? Every time I get chunky, I end up with this…

01 chunky pb 300x225 Chunky PB & Raw Salad

I don’t know how it happens, but I unconsciously avoid the chunks and am left with a jar of peanut bits and a little bit of creamy peanut butter. Just one of my quirks, I suppose. I don’t know what to do with the bits besides eat them plain; I’m not complaining though. But I really should only buy creamy.

When I’m not desiccating (= removing moisture from) nut butters, I like to make raw salads.

02 raw salad 300x225 Chunky PB & Raw Salad

This is:

• kale (1/2 bunch or so, maybe a little more) – massaged with 1/2 avocado and my own version of liquid gold elixir (olive oil, rice vinegar, bragg’s liquid aminos)
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • white onion, chopped
  • 1/2 ear of raw corn
  • salsa (taco bell brand… not exactly raw! but you could use raw salsa)

I massaged the kale with the avocado and dressing, then topped it with the other goodies. As soon as I was done I made a repeat salad; do you ever do that? Sometimes after I have a salad I go back and make the exact same salad for seconds.

03 raw salad 300x225 Chunky PB & Raw Salad

In this case it was nice because I was able to use the rest of the kale head, the other 1/2 ear of corn, and the other 1/2 avocado. It works out. Maybe the reason I make the repeat is to use up the leftovers from the first one!

04 raw salad 300x225 Chunky PB & Raw Salad

Here are some word origins for y’all…

• vegetable (Dori) – vegetables comes from a base in proto-indo-european (PIE = basically what preceded all of the european languages) that means “be strong, lively”. It’s also related to watch, vigor, velocity, and possibly witch. after PIE it went through Latin and French before it came to English.
  • shampoo (Heather) – this comes from Hindi (champo) where it meant, “to massage”, or “to press, knead the muscles”.
  • massage – this is from French, and before French it probably came from Arabic (massa = to touch, feel, handle). If it did come from Arabic it was probably picked up in Egypt when Napoleon was there. If it didn’t come from Arabic, it probably came from India (the French colonized it) from the word amassar (to knead), which came from Latin massa (mass, dough).

Gotta go grade… Have a great night/morning!

P.S. I’m in the middle of The Time Traveler’s Wife. So freakin’ good. Have you read it? I’m going to see the movie so I have to read it first.

20 Comments on Chunky PB & Raw Salad

1. Sophia
    12 August, 2009 at 9:36 pm (5 years ago)

You’re crazy! Haaha! I LOVE crunchy PB…that’s my favorite part. You and I should share a jar of PB…I take the crunchy bits, you take the creamy part!
    But for almond butter, I like creamy ones, too.

2. Christina
    12 August, 2009 at 9:38 pm (5 years ago)

I’m a creamy girl all the way! I’m the same- I can eat crunchy and munch on it, but if I’m spreading it on something I want creamy!

13 August, 2009 at 3:59 am (5 years ago)

I prefer creamy PB too, because what’s the point of eating crunchy PB in form of PB instead of real peanuts? :D

repeated salad? I’ve never done that, maybe because i’m too lazy of preparing twice the same thing! :)

you’re fast reader Maggie, you’re reading like one book a day! Woooo!!

4. Dori
    13 August, 2009 at 4:29 am (5 years ago)

I used to prefer chunky but over the last few months I have been only wanting creamy. I guess my tastes have changed! I love the smoothness… Mmmmm. YAY for Time Traveler’s Wife!!! The most amazing, beautiful book. Oh I love it. And the movie!

5. Shelby
    13 August, 2009 at 5:41 am (5 years ago)

I need to read the Time-Traveler’s Wife! The movie looks amazing.

6. Jess
    13 August, 2009 at 5:52 am (5 years ago)

I’m a fan of creamy, growing up though I would only eat the chunky! I guess tastes change!

7. Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate
    13 August, 2009 at 6:58 am (5 years ago)

I prefer creamy peanut butter but wouldn’t turn down chunky! I love the way your jar ended up!

8. JB
    13 August, 2009 at 7:33 am (5 years ago)

i’m definitely a smooth pb girl! and massaged kale salads are the best. i love the origin of the word vegetables, by the way. it just goes to show that it’s the veggies that make you strong! and ugh, i really wanted to read the book before seeing the movie…my best friend LOVED the book. but i’m in the middle of another book and don’t have very much free time right now as it is. so i’ll probably end up seeing the movie first.

9. smurfette
    13 August, 2009 at 8:44 am (5 years ago)

I like chunky cause its like me!

10. Chelsea
    13 August, 2009 at 8:46 am (5 years ago)

loved that book!

13 August, 2009 at 11:17 am (5 years ago)

CHUNKY MONKEY

we eat creamy at home (hubs) but if I ruled the universe it would be super chunk

(at least my almond butter is chunky)

ps your salad looks beautiful!

12. Sagan
    13 August, 2009 at 12:00 pm (5 years ago)

SMOOTH! I do NOT like chunky PB.

Sometimes (ok. All the time) I make repeat bowls of popcorn.

Love learning about the word origins!

13. Michelle
    13 August, 2009 at 12:26 pm (5 years ago)

hhahaah that chunky peanut butter looks overly well endowed Maggie. I’m sure there are LOTS of chunky lovers out there who would gladly share your jar with you! :P I would be one of those people.

mmm Massaging veggies sounds so funny, but at the same time that’s definitely what Chinese people do when we marinate our chilled appetizers! Like cucumbers and garlic! My favorite!!

14. Tracy
    13 August, 2009 at 1:16 pm (5 years ago)

I absolutely looooove The Time Traveler’s Wife! I’m actually in the middle of reading it a 2nd time in honor of the movie release!!

15. Kimberly
    13 August, 2009 at 6:30 pm (5 years ago)

i’m a chunky gal. :) Love the bite to it. Which makes sense that I also like pulpy OJ as well.

16. Justine
    14 August, 2009 at 7:38 am (5 years ago)

I am not a picky girl when it comes to the consistency of my nut butters. Love them all! I have yet to massage me some kale. I need to pick some up. Been a while since I had some. It just reminds me of the winter for some reason. Love me some salsa on my salad. I bet that was a great mix with the avocado dressing on the kale. Have a great weekend Magpie!!

~Justine

14 August, 2009 at 1:00 pm (5 years ago)

I love that shampoo means to massage. That just makes me happy.

I also love my peanut butter full of crunchy chunks. Just send those leftover jars my way – I’ll finish them off for ya!

CD was just saying the same thing about his salads. He always ends up going back for round 2, and is now just making 1 HUGE one. You should see the amount of produce we buy.

Happy weekend Maggie!

18. Kristen (Flexy Fare)
    14 August, 2009 at 2:31 pm (5 years ago)

I am loving the corn on salad!

I embrace chunky PB on occasion, but I am currently hooked on Naturally More’s creamy PB. ;-)

Have a wonderful weekend, Maggie!

19. April
    17 August, 2009 at 9:01 am (5 years ago)

Poo, I was gonna say send the rest of the jar my way but looks like others beat me to it :D

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Chunky PB & Raw Salad