Salads, Raw, Fun, Words

Today I made this massaged kale salad

06 massaged kale celery 300x225 Salads, Raw, Fun, Words

I added celery, which I sliced with my mandolin. It was a really good addition. I topped it with salsa and I actually added some stevia when I was massaging it.

07 massaged kale celery 300x225 Salads, Raw, Fun, Words

I have a brand new dressing recipe that I’ll post either tomorrow or Monday. I made a fantastic wonderful dinner tonight (raw salad, raw dressing, teryaki tofu, kimchi, basmati rice for Bobby).

05 massaged kale celery 300x225 Salads, Raw, Fun, Words

I find that when I shop at Whole Foods I start to limit the amount of produce that I buy. It’s so expensive that I try not to get a lot. Today I went to Han Kook (Korean grocery) instead.

What do you think? Do you scrimp to buy organic? Does it really matter? Would you rather have an abundance of fresh non-organic produce and variety OR pick a few choice items that are organic?

As for books… I finished The Time Traveler’s Wife on Thursday. Ah. So amazing. If you haven’t read it, you really must. I want to see the movie soon.

I read When the Emperor Was Divine yesterday (Friday). This book is about a Japanese American family who is interned during World War II. It was a quick read, but so raw and touching. I’d highly recommend it – especially if you don’t know much about this part of our history.

I’m currently reading 2 books now – King Hereafter by Dorothy Dunnett and The Uncertain Art: Thoughts on a Life in Medicine by Sherwin B. Nuland (he also wrote The Art of Aging and How We Die). These are going slower than the others. King Hereafter is long, and so far slightly tedious. I think it has potential so I’ll keep reading – I’ve been trying to get into it for about a week. I just cracked The Uncertain Art today, and so far the writing is pretentious and verbose. I doubt I’ll finish it.

Here are some words

• pretentious – comes from French through Latin from a word meaning “to pretend”… which originally came from roots meaning “before” (pre) + “to stretch” (tendere).
  • verbose – comes from the Latin “full of words, wordy”… the Latin word for, um, word = verbum.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend icon smile Salads, Raw, Fun, Words

10 Comments on Salads, Raw, Fun, Words

1. Lara (Thinspired)
    16 August, 2009 at 2:49 am (5 years ago)

I try to buy organic when I can, and that usually means carrots, potatoes, occasionally spinach, apples, and bell peppers. But yeah, it’s just way too expensive if I went all organic and we would probably have much less produce in the house. For me, with juicing, etc., I would rather have an abundance of fruit and veg and just keep it as fresh as possible if I can’t get organic.
    Maybe one day, when you, me, and Sarah start our organic farm, we can all eat organic produce at every glorious meal!

2. Kimberly@Living Free
    16 August, 2009 at 5:46 am (5 years ago)

I have never tried a massaged kale salad. I might try it this week though. The last bunch of kale I got wasn’t very good so I’m hoping to find some that is better.

I buy organic as much as I can. I think it taste better and looks fresher than the non organic. I will buy non-organic if I need to though. I can’t always find organic spinach and I can’t live without my spinach-even if it means non-organic:) I don’t have a Whole Foods where I live, so I just have to get what I can at the grocery store.

Have a great weekend!

3. Mountain Mama
    16 August, 2009 at 5:55 am (5 years ago)

Thanks to you, I have been enjoying massaged kale/chard/turnip greens on a regular basis this last week. Yum!

I wish I ate more organic, but you’re right, it’s very spendy. I need to eat more veggies (especially leafy ones) and I’m more likely to buy them if they’re cheap.

I’m trying to garden my own leafys. My chard is going gangbusters.

16 August, 2009 at 6:02 am (5 years ago)

I think buying 100% organic will be hard since WF is so expensive, but there are certain produce/fruit that are heavily pesticidized that worth the money. As my parents are coming to US and stay with me for about 2 months, I’ll have to re-do the budget and visit more often the korean stores for not so “dirty” produces. :)

5. Shelby
    16 August, 2009 at 6:10 am (5 years ago)

I stick to the Dirty Dozen list for my organic foods. But if I do have something in the house (that my mom may have bought) like lettuce that isn’t organic…I’ll eat it anyway.

6. CaSaundra
    16 August, 2009 at 8:04 am (5 years ago)

I’m not overly obsessed when it comes to organic–if there’s a good deal on organic, I will definitely get it, but as far as splurging goes just to get organic foods, nah.

7. MarathonVal
    16 August, 2009 at 8:35 am (5 years ago)

Oddly enough, as I compare on my blog a while back (http://chicagomarathonval.com/2009/07/23/7-layers-of-mouthwatering-goodness/), I actually found my WF to be cheaper than Jewel, our local “discount” grocer!!! Certainly some things are cheaper at Jewel like jam, etc, but the produce was better quality, organic, and more affordable at my WF.

If it wasn’t, I would probably buy less organic if it meant I could have a greater variety, though!

16 August, 2009 at 8:58 am (5 years ago)

I’d rather have more of a selection. As much as I’d like to buy all organic, our grocery bill would be out of control. It is already. CD and I eat so much produce, and it’s so much cheaper if we buy it in bulk at Costco. So, a lot of the stuff we consume is NOT organic.

When do you have time to read so much Maggie. I’m jealous – I need to use more time more wisely. Thanks for the book recommendations. I think I’m the only out there who has not read the Time Traveler’s Wife – need to get on that!

9. Christina
    16 August, 2009 at 9:04 am (5 years ago)

I try to buy organic when I can and the most recommended organic things. There’s a few different lists out there if you google, so you’d have to make your own decision of what you put in your diet and what’s in your neck of the woods. But, I think I tend to try and hit those first. Then, if there’s deals or it’s not going to break the bank, I stay organic. Otherwise, I get non-organic, but usually tend to peel. Like, if I get an organic cucumber, I’ll wash it and just cut it. But, if that week I get a non-organic cucumber, I’d wash it, peel it, and then cut it. I feel less safe about eating the skin with the waxy film and potential chemical residue.

10. Kristen
    16 August, 2009 at 11:35 am (5 years ago)

I have been spending time the same thought process… organic vs non-organic…more $$ vs less $$. I like variety but I also can’t deny the stats on the pesticides and chemicals that stay in our bodies and how quickly they leave when you switch to all organics. The more I know the more I can’t shop conventional. But it is hard. It’s definitely a decision. You have to think the $ is worth it. I am still transitioning. I have done my due diligence and know where I can get the most bang for my buck. Sometimes it’s really not that much more $. I also don’t mind eating the same things over and over, that makes it easier. Instead of looking at it as a rut you could look at it as an experiment to find the most bang for your buck organics and cook / prepare them in different ways with different flavor profiles / spices etc… I feel your pain though… it is weekly battle with the budget – a throw down between conventional and organic.

I really enjoy your site and I am loving kale these days as well!