Rebounding Along

Instead of going to the mall yesterday, I spent an hour or so reading in Borders. I read Natalia Rose’s newer book called Detox For Women – it’s another raw food book, but it’s focused on detoxing and going raw specifically regarding women and women’s health. I will probably buy it; just a few pages in I was nodding in agreement as she began to elaborate on symptoms and conditions that some women experience.

One of the things I took away from reading yesterday was a new exercise – rebounding. Rebounding is jumping on one of those mini-trampolines. It has a slew of benefits, including (but not limited to):

1. It’s good for your lymphatic system. The lymph system carries nutrients to cells and carts waste away… and, unlike the heart pumping blood throughout the body, the lymph system is completely dependent on movement and exercise.
  2. Great for detox and the immune system. Rebounding massages your internal organs and helps the intestines work better. Peristalsis (the way your intestines squeeze continually to move food through them) is even improved.
  3. It’s an anti-depressant!
  4. It lowers cholesterol and stimulates metabolism.
  5. Rebounding helps you relax and sleep better.
  6. It slows down aging.
  7. Helps with girly cramps icon smile Rebounding Along

This morning I went over to the rec room and did 30 minutes of rebounding while I watched The View and an infomercial on Wen haircare products. The time flew by and I felt energized when I finished. I did about 15 minutes of yoga (on my own) afterwards, just to stretch and chill.

I have a bunch of raw salads to share, so here’s the first. It’s from a few days ago.

15 raw salad 300x225 Rebounding Along

• base: weird lettuce from han kook (labeled as “kale”, but NOT kale! i was curious)
  • toppings: raw corn, cluster tomatoes, bean sprouts, cilantro, enoki mushrooms
  • dressings: raw peanut dressing, salsa!

It was pretty awesome. I’m actually going to try to stay away from peanuts and peanut butter for a while, because…

17 almond butter celery 225x300 Rebounding Along

This almond butter rocks!

Words of the day:

• rebound: first recorded around 1300AD, it meant “to spring, leap,” OR “return to afflict” (1412). Break it down: re- = “back”; bound = “leap, bound” (from French).
  • stomach: this actually comes from a Greek word meaning “mouth” (stoma) – like the opening of an organ. It’s rather a misnomer, and some kooky 16th century anatomists actually tried to change the name to ventricle instead (to be more accurate; they wanted to call the esophagus the stomach instead), but it didn’t stick. So we call these pouches that hold our digesting food mouths.

P.S. Don’t go away… I’m back to my kabocha-loving ways and I have a lovely recipe to post tomorrow.

25 Comments on Rebounding Along

20 August, 2009 at 2:14 pm (5 years ago)

I’m glad you like this book… I love it. Although I haven’t tried much of she suggests. How it looks like a mini trampoline? I was just wondering how to do the rebounding thing.
    and which part did you read that make you think that you have some yeast infection?

2. Anna
    20 August, 2009 at 2:44 pm (5 years ago)

that’s my favorite almond butter! TJ’s is the BEST, and the cheapest around!

3. Amy
    20 August, 2009 at 2:45 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Maggie – I’ve dealt with candida too and know the symptoms you’re describing well. I suggest checking out Julia Ross’ “The Diet Cure” which has a whole section on supplements and diet for the condition and is a little less intimidating than some others.

Glad you liked the almond butter :)

4. Shelby
    20 August, 2009 at 2:50 pm (5 years ago)

I LOVE rebounding =)

And I love almond butter.

5. Jules
    20 August, 2009 at 2:59 pm (5 years ago)

Ooh, sounds fuuuuun. Is jumping on a regular trampoline as good? Because that’s even more fun :)
    I can’t wait ’til TJ’s comes. Then I’ll be able to afford delicious almond butter, too!

6. Dori
    20 August, 2009 at 3:25 pm (5 years ago)

I used to take rebounding classes all the time, they are awesome! That book sounds great…

20 August, 2009 at 3:32 pm (5 years ago)

I loooove TJs almond butter!! :-D

8. Maria
    20 August, 2009 at 5:31 pm (5 years ago)

That salad looks so yummy and very similar to mine ;)

I adore Trader Joe’s almond butter–cheap and delicious!

9. MarathonVal
    20 August, 2009 at 6:18 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Maggie, I’m curious what you mean when you said you have too much yeast right now… do you have any symptoms from that? I’ve been having some terrible stomach cramps recently and my husband thinks it may be from eating TOO much raw stuff.. veggies, etc. I realize these are personal questions haha so feel free to email me if you want to chat about this in more depth :)

10. Devan Newman
    20 August, 2009 at 11:40 pm (5 years ago)

Love your blog!!
    and that salad looks awesome!!

What are those mushrooms like?? Im nervous to try other mushrooms, asides from shitake, white/brown, amd portabellos!

11. Emily
    21 August, 2009 at 5:20 am (5 years ago)

We have a rebounder at work and I LOVE it!

Try some pau d’arco tea for the candida?

Have a great Friday!

12. insideiamdancing
    21 August, 2009 at 5:46 am (5 years ago)

That book sounds really interesting- I am still getting through the first one, but sounds like the second might address some of the questions/concerns I had. Does it talk much about bone health?

I saw your tweet about rebounding and was wondering what it was! Sounds awesome :D

13. Peggy (Mom)
    21 August, 2009 at 5:52 am (5 years ago)

I used to do a rebounding class at Bally’s and the instructor said it was very good for digestion. LOL maybe all that jumping up and down mixes things up.

14. Justine
    21 August, 2009 at 6:38 am (5 years ago)

I am excited for the kabocha recipe! I havent had any in probably just as long as you if not longer. Believe me though if it were closer to access I would be eating it :) . Funny you read that book in the book store because I take the little one to story time at Barnes and Noble and I started reading it there the other day as well. Went back to finish it on Mon. but it was gone :( . I guess they only stocked that one copy. Boo on them!! Have a great weekend Maggie.

Oh and I was texting you while walking to my parents house and then my mom took me home and I left my phone there :( . Didnt know if you texted back or not because I am not going to be able to pick up my phone until sometime this morning. I hate not having my phone!!

~Justine

15. holly the healthy everythingtarian
    21 August, 2009 at 7:25 am (5 years ago)

ohhh more books to read! i will have to check that out – i always like hearing about new recipes, ways of doing things and just alternative ways to what i am doing. i am almost finished reading the raw food detox you sent me – lots of love to you maggie :)

16. Lara (Thinspired)
    21 August, 2009 at 8:35 am (5 years ago)

I’ve heard so much about rebounding lately! It sounds not only good for you, but FUN! Maybe I should look at that book. Carbs are definitely an issue for me!
    Hope you are doing well, Miss Maggie!

21 August, 2009 at 8:56 am (5 years ago)

Rebounding is a KICK…I had one… and when we moved I gave it away (pregnant)

and now all the rebound talk has me back on the one at work…after my runs/jogs/walks…. you know what I find it’s not only ALL the above that you mentioned…but I find it REALLY stretches my ankles and calves afer my treadmill time.

when I skip it they are really tight later! (even if I stretch)
    I jump about 5-10 minutes most days…. it’s a nice fun break.

I am adding her new book to my list!

18. Kimberly@Living Free
    21 August, 2009 at 9:57 am (5 years ago)

Thanks for the info on the rebounder! I have one but never use it. Anyway, I went to my ND(natureopathic Dr.) today and guess what she suggested I do–rebounding:) She said that 8 minutes gives you the same benefits of running a mile! I don’t know, but it won’t hurt to have a little fun on it.

I also have trouble with carbs/yeast. I take liquid herbs from the ND that really seem to help. I don’t even know exactly what the herbs are because she mixes up the concoction herself.

I may have to get my hands on that book too!

19. Betherann
    21 August, 2009 at 2:00 pm (5 years ago)

Cool! I’m going to have to try this rebounding thing. *Heads over to do some Googling…*

20. Sara
    21 August, 2009 at 3:48 pm (5 years ago)

I had too much yeast too. It can cause flaky scalp and popping in joints (those were my comlaints). Excess sugar feeds them in your system. I also learned that banana’s contain yeast, and the riper they are the more they have. My naturopathic doc also said that it is spreadable, so you can pass is back and forth, so it’s best for both partners to kick it together.
    Looks like you’re on top it!

21. michelle
    21 August, 2009 at 7:43 pm (5 years ago)

i want a vitamix also! what is rebounding?your food looks yummy by the way. sometimes i eat something so much i get a little sick of it also, i think its going to happen again with all the eggplant that i ahve been eating, baba ganoush is so good and so easy to make!

22. elise
    23 August, 2009 at 6:54 am (5 years ago)

so more on this yeast stuff…what else should “yeast’y filled people” avoid??

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Rebounding Along

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619