Our first juice & our second baby

Second cat baby that is icon smile Our first juice & our second baby Yesterday we adopted a sweet tomcat who is just as big as our other one. Couscous is the cat we already had; he’s about 8 years old, very big, very sweet, very loud, and we thought he would like a friend. This is Couscous:

06 couscous 300x225 Our first juice & our second baby

The new addition to the Miller family is Bo, short for Kabocha. He’s somewhere between 2-4 years old. He was found in a trailer park just hanging around and was in foster care until we adopted him yesterday. He is incredibly sweet, he loves food just as much as Cous, and he’s huge. We didn’t go to the pet store intending to get another cat; we just needed cat food… but we walked away with this pile of mush:

07 kabocha 300x225 Our first juice & our second baby

The other addition to our family yesterday was the Breville JE95XL Two-Speed Juice Fountain Plus. I got mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon. You can get them refurbished on Amazon for cheap too but I didn’t want to take any chances.

juicer 300x300 Our first juice & our second baby

I had to make a nice green juice with it this morning. This went in…

03 juice veggies 300x225 Our first juice & our second baby

• most of a head of celery (organic)
  • 1/2 head of romaine lettuce (organic)
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 granny smith apple
  • 2 knobs of ginger

And this came out…

05 green juice 225x300 Our first juice & our second baby

Plus this… I can’t bring myself to throw it away. I’m going to have to come up with some pulp recipes.

04 juice pulp 300x225 Our first juice & our second baby

The juice was fantastic. Bobby had a bit of it too and he actually thought it was pretty good. We loved the lemon and ginger taste. I am definitely going to keep juicing. If you are considering getting a juicer, this one is great so far. It’s really easy to clean – I just rinsed it off as soon as I finished juicing and it was a breeze. It even comes with a brush to scrub the juicing mesh part.

I had to keep shaking the juice; it separates. The last few sips were very strong with ginger, but I didn’t mind.

What’s your favorite juice recipe?

25 Comments on Our first juice & our second baby

23 August, 2009 at 4:58 pm (5 years ago)

Bo – I love it Maggie. Too cute, and so happy to hear Cous has a new friend. :)

My favorite juice: celery, romaine, lemon, apple, ginger…exactly what you made. I also love carrot/apple/ginger. Yum!

2. Dori
    23 August, 2009 at 5:20 pm (5 years ago)

Bo is so cute and sweet! What mush! I love that you went to get cat food and came out with another baby. I’d love a kitten but Rob is allergic.

That is the juicer I have, it is great. My favorite juice recipe is green apple, celery, cucumber and kale. I have that every day!

3. Jules
    23 August, 2009 at 5:30 pm (5 years ago)

Aww, Bo looks adorable! That juicer and juice look awesome…I’ve been wanting a juicer for a while, I should get one.

4. Olga
    23 August, 2009 at 5:36 pm (5 years ago)

Congrats on the new kitty AND the juicer! What great additions to the family :)

5. Kimberly@Living Free
    23 August, 2009 at 5:40 pm (5 years ago)

What cute babies!

My favorite juice is romaine, celery, cucumber, small carrot and 1/2 lime squeezed in last:)

23 August, 2009 at 5:52 pm (5 years ago)

Juicer will be my next addition to the family too!!! I have been searching for a good juicer and this one seems the best for me too! I’m so glad you got it too! We will definitely be exchanging juicing recipes and thoughts. :D

7. Shelby
    23 August, 2009 at 6:22 pm (5 years ago)

Bo…what an ADORABLE name! Maybe Kabocha and Sweet Potato (my little girly) should meet up someday?! ;)

8. carolinebee
    23 August, 2009 at 8:07 pm (5 years ago)

sooo fun!!! Haha peerrrrfect name, of course! Have fun with the new kitty and new toy :D

9. Maria
    23 August, 2009 at 8:18 pm (5 years ago)

Hehe, I love that you name your cats after you favorite foods :) Couscous is super cute, and Bo is equally adorable! Awesome new juicer. I don’t have one, so I can’t help you on recipes, but I know that other bloggers have a ton of tasty ones to share!

10. Alisa - Frugal Foodie
    23 August, 2009 at 9:04 pm (5 years ago)

Aw, what cute cats! Love the names too … hmmm into food? Are the cats getting alond or is there some adjustment time?

Congrats on the juicer too! No juicer here, so I can’t add to the suggestions.

11. clare
    23 August, 2009 at 9:29 pm (5 years ago)

oh congrats on your new baby! i have to say, your baby is much cuter than mine. (http://yogiclarebear.wordpress.com/2009/08/06/more-babies/) ahh the pitter patter of little feet (paws)! ;)

i don’t have a juicer, but i did smoothie some broccoli and strawbs once…pretty decent! and i do love the chocolate/cherry/avocado combo.

12. Anne K.
    23 August, 2009 at 9:49 pm (5 years ago)

Oh my gosh, I love that you named him Kabocha! That’s too cute! Bo is adorable :)

13. Lara (Thinspired)
    24 August, 2009 at 12:36 am (5 years ago)

Congrats on your new baby!! Oh, and Bo is cute too ;) Hehe. I love that you named him Kabocha. That makes you awesome.
    I had a hard time tossing the pulp at first too, but eventually I got over it ;) We’re spending next weekend at my in-laws and they actually have a compost so I’m going to bring by juicer and won’t feel so guilty about the pulp! But I’m excited to see if you find other uses for it in recipes.
    Can’t wait to see what kind of juicing combinations you come up with!

14. Damjana
    24 August, 2009 at 4:17 am (5 years ago)

Hehe Couscous and Kabocha, such cute names! :)

24 August, 2009 at 6:18 am (5 years ago)

Love all the babies! Old and new :-D

16. MarathonVal
    24 August, 2009 at 6:43 am (5 years ago)

I have the same juicer and it is fabulous!

My favorite combo is celery, cuke, a bit of spinach, 1/2 lemon, apple and ginger…

Or 100% carrot juice! Happy juicing! :)

24 August, 2009 at 9:09 am (5 years ago)

AWWWWWWWWWWWWw lil Bo is so sweet! and a NEW Breville???

yah hooo!

what a great great day!

18. Justine
    24 August, 2009 at 11:09 am (5 years ago)

Love love love me some kitties!! So sweet they look alike.

I am super jealous of your juicer. I know I had one and I cant find it. My man seems to think I used it for the 3 days I did my fast and then returned it. Probably did, I am a chronic returner :) . Shhh don’t tell anyone.

~Justine

19. elise
    24 August, 2009 at 11:46 am (5 years ago)

of COURSE youd name your kitty kabocha, hahaha

20. Marina
    26 August, 2009 at 5:45 pm (5 years ago)

Congrats on adopting Bo! He and Couscous look like they could be siblings! I’m always happy to hear whenever a kitty gets a good home. :)

21. Jordan
    27 August, 2009 at 1:20 pm (5 years ago)

Kabocha is adorable! Congrats on the new member of your family. I think my cat, Lucy, and my juicer are my favorite additions to my home in the last year! I like kale(or chard), beet, carrot, gs apple and ginger. D (the bf) doesn’t like the ginger so I make a separate stash and add it at the end. We tried celery, collards, red pepper and cucumber recently that was pretty good, kind of like strained gazpacho.

I made kabocha last night and steamed it for the first time instead of roasting. So good! D was feeling adventurous and tried some and before I knew it half my stash was gone. He is hooked. :)

I promise the novel is almost over…with the pulp, I’ll usually throw out celery and greens pulp (really stringy) but I’ll save the pulp from carrots and beets and either add it in to my salads (fiber boost!) or I’ll mix it with ripe avocado to make a “pulpamole” dip/spread. The carrot and/or beet pulp(s) can also be used to make carrot cake breads or muffins.

22. breville juicer discount
    30 January, 2011 at 4:49 pm (3 years ago)

Really good article. I just came over your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be coming back and I hope you post again soon.

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Our first juice & our second baby

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619