Lotus root, cheesy grits, yoga, & juice!

Have you ever tried lotus root?

32 lotus root 300x225 Lotus root, cheesy grits, yoga, & juice!

It’s a veggie that I like to get in Asian markets. It comes precut, in a bag, with water. I just drain off the water, rinse them, and chop them for salads like this one.

33 raw salad lotus root 300x225 Lotus root, cheesy grits, yoga, & juice!

This was one of my favorite salads (red leaf & iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cabbage, raw corn, mushrooms, seaweed, salsa liquid gold elixir, and this one – PARMESAN) topped off with slices of lotus root. Along with this salad I had more steamed broccoli stems with more parm.

Lotus root is a water plant, like the water lily. It has beautiful flowers above the water; underneath grows the delicious root. It’s kind of crunchy and tastes like a hybrid of a water chestnut and a potato. It’s low in calories, has lots of fiber, and provides Vitamin C, Potassium, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Phosphorus, Copper, and Manganese.

Since Bobby has been home the last 2 days, I’ve been making him a yummy breakfast: cheesy grits!

29 grits 300x225 Lotus root, cheesy grits, yoga, & juice!

I cook 1/3 cup grits in 1 cup of water with a dash of salt, then towards the end I add maybe 1/3 cup of shredded cheddar. After it’s in the bowl I top it with a little more cheddar and some sesame seeds. He enjoys it with orange juice (Tropicana).

This morning I did another 75-minute Dave Farmar power yoga class – 06/05/09. It was pretty challenging; I would definitely recommend it. I was thinking about rebounding for a few minutes now but Bobby passed out on my trampoline – he woke up early and he’s very tired. I think I’m going to help him get to the bed.

I just finished sipping on this green juice (celery, granny smith apple, lemon, ginger, mint, cucumber, romaine)…

36 morning juice 225x300 Lotus root, cheesy grits, yoga, & juice!

What’s your favorite vegetable? I’m pretty sure mine is broccoli. I can’t decide though – recently I’ve been snacking on raw snap peas and they’re pretty delicious. And then there’s raw corn… it’s too hard to choose!

P.S. Did you know that Shakespeare gave the English language almost 2,000 new words??

15 Comments on Lotus root, cheesy grits, yoga, & juice!

1. smurfette
    28 August, 2009 at 2:53 pm (5 years ago)

That salad looks so good. I miss doing yoga. I am gonna try to do some today. For my fav vegetable it would probably be butternut squash…. I ‘m addicted to butternut squash with nutmeg :) That yoga podcast looks fun.

2. Jules
    28 August, 2009 at 2:57 pm (5 years ago)

Ooh, the lotus root looks so cool. I think my favorite vegetable is carrot, but I’m not sure. I like so many!

3. Maria
    28 August, 2009 at 3:24 pm (5 years ago)

Actually, I think my favorite veggie right now is lotus root! It is sooo good :) We saute it with garlic, soy sauce, and honey. Sounds delicious in salads too!

4. Christina
    28 August, 2009 at 3:43 pm (5 years ago)

I have never tried lotus root! I’m always intimidated by it!

Hmmm favorite vegetable is a hard one. I think right now I love cauliflower, fresh corn, and cabbage. It changes on mood, season, availability, taste, etc. I pretty much love ALL veggies except raw tomatoes and any mushrooms.

I knew Shakespeare introduced some new words but 2,000??? Holy smokes!!

5. MarathonVal
    28 August, 2009 at 3:44 pm (5 years ago)

At first I thought the lotus root was white chocolate covered pretzels… and I’m not gonna lie, I got a little excited about that ;)

I love so many veggies, hmmm.. sweet potatoes, asparagus, TOMATOES I cannot live without my tomatoes (and I’ve had to the past couple days and it’s been tough!!)

28 August, 2009 at 3:58 pm (5 years ago)

Sounds like a great yoga class!

Favorite vegetable = I could live off of broccoli.

7. Shelby
    28 August, 2009 at 4:58 pm (5 years ago)

I had cheesy oatmeal the other day! I just added nooch and some hot sauce. So good.

8. Kimberly@Living Free
    28 August, 2009 at 6:37 pm (5 years ago)

That is a very interesting looking veggie! I have never seen anything like that.
    I don’t know what my favorite veggie is. I guess it would have to be spinach, but not sure. I know I use a lot of it though:)

28 August, 2009 at 6:45 pm (5 years ago)

lotus is definitely one of my favorite vegetable. You should try the fresh one… they taste much better than the pre-cut ones.
    my favorite vegetable? kabocha if it can be considered as vegetable! :D

10. Sophia
    28 August, 2009 at 7:44 pm (5 years ago)

Hee hee, i DID know that abt Shakespeare…That guy is a freaking genius.
    Oh, and my mom makes lotus root by frying it in some oil and soysauce and honey…try it! :D

11. Emily
    29 August, 2009 at 10:24 am (5 years ago)

My fave veggie: peas! I know most people hate them, but I just love them so much. :-)

29 August, 2009 at 3:04 pm (5 years ago)

Lotus Root looks WAY interesting! Water Chestnut and potato…hmmmmm If I ever see it, I will definitely try it
    all your salads and juices look so yum and refreshing!

13. Anne K.
    29 August, 2009 at 7:15 pm (5 years ago)

The lotus root looks so pretty! And it reminds me of Honeycomb cereal, haha! Your cheesy grits look delicious :)

14. Hangry Pants
    30 August, 2009 at 5:38 am (5 years ago)

So cool! I love when you teach me about new foods like lotus root!

15. yogachicken
    19 February, 2010 at 11:26 pm (4 years ago)

i LOVE RAW CORN! and my fav juice is kale, spinach, cuc, celery, parsly and a granny smith