The juice IS worth the squeeze

Some favorites

Pimp my juice:

30 juice veggies

• greens: romaine lettuce, napa cabbage, celery
  • bling: 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 granny smith apple, 1/2 lemon, ginger knob, mint

Smooth Jazz Juice (dessert):

34 dessert juice veggies

• rhythm: celery, 1/2 cucumber
  • melody: 1 asian pear, 1/2 fuji apple, mint, 1/2 lime

Another morning, another Pimp My Juice

35 morning juice veggies

36 morning juice

I’m really loving juice. I’ve also discovered that not only am I a juice addict, but I’m also an avocado addict. I had a craving for one on Friday night (midnight snack) and I ate it straight with a spoon and a little bit of coconut butter. It was a smallish avocado and it totally hit the spot.

I have been having frozen fruit (typically grapes or cantaloupe) at night. Chocolate just doesn’t cut it for me for dessert (::gasp::) – I’ve never really been a chocolate person. Fruit is my dessert of choice, but I try to let dinner digest for several hours before digging in.

When I make my juices, the one thing that I have to add is citrus – whether it’s lemon or lime, that zest eliminates the green taste. The ginger is also zesty; Bobby is not as much of a ginger fan as I am so I have to add it at the end if I’m making a juice for both of us. Mint is also a fun addition. These green juices with mint, lime, and cucumber make me think I’m drinking a mojito in the morning… eek! And I don’t ever ever drink.

Gena raised an interesting point today about favorite foods. What are your top 5 favorite foods? I’ll recap later with my thoughts and my own favorites.

20 Comments on The juice IS worth the squeeze

1. Shelby
    30 August, 2009 at 1:46 pm (6 years ago)

Lovely juice combinations! I’ve got to get juicing again!

Right now I’ve been OBSESSED with apples. I’ve already had 3 before noon today!

2. Mara @ What's for Dinner?
    30 August, 2009 at 2:09 pm (6 years ago)

I could have nothing but juice every day and be happy… though i think i’d still be hungry!!

favorite foods?? crab, sushi, cherries, peaches, grilled zucchini

3. smurfette
    30 August, 2009 at 3:11 pm (6 years ago)

Now I want a juicer!!! Those recipes sound great. I am addicted to avocado too I love it on my salads and in my sandwiches the best ones are the home grown ones. My grandma has a tree so once a year I get a bunch it’s awesome! 5 foods I can’t live without are

Dark chocolate
    cheese
    fresh greens
    oatmeal with bannanas and cinnimon
    peanut butter

30 August, 2009 at 3:37 pm (6 years ago)

Awesome juice!!

My top 5: broccoli, sweet potatoes, avocado, almond butter, and dark chocolate.

5. Jules
    30 August, 2009 at 4:09 pm (6 years ago)

Those juices look so good! I need a juicer, after seeing how much juice you’ve been making :) I think my top five foods are hummus, blueberries, mango, avocado, and salsa. I’m not sure though, I like so many different things…

6. Emily
    30 August, 2009 at 5:45 pm (6 years ago)

my top five, in no particular order: raw cashews; dark chocolate; dates; nectarines; broccoli. although, those last two may be substituted with whatever fruit and veggie is in season and particularly awesome at a given time.

7. Justine
    30 August, 2009 at 6:10 pm (6 years ago)

Look at those juices. Will you send me some? Think they will hold up in the mail?? hahaha I love ginger also. I always look forward to getting sushi because of the ginger they serve on the side. 5 favorite food??

1. peanut butter
    2. chocolate
    3. brussel sprouts
    4. any fruits
    5. ?

There are so many I cant decide!!!!!!!!!

~Justine

8. Maria
    30 August, 2009 at 6:22 pm (6 years ago)

I’m so glad to hear that juice is working well for you. I really want to try some of yours :)

9. Gena
    30 August, 2009 at 7:30 pm (6 years ago)

Well you know my answers now! But isn’t it a fun conversation? Glad it interested you :)

10. clare
    30 August, 2009 at 8:01 pm (6 years ago)

maggie i want to know about the word “knob.” i hate that word, for some reason it grosses me out.

11. Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl
    30 August, 2009 at 9:56 pm (6 years ago)

My favorite 5 foods? Hmmm… Can I have 6? LOL – I’d have to say frozen blueberries, macadamia nuts, almond butter, spinach, Oikos organic Greek yogurt, and chocolate. Yeah, that’s 6! Oops! ;-)

*smiles*
    Michele

12. Damjana
    31 August, 2009 at 12:28 am (6 years ago)

My top 5: oatmeal, pancakes, apples, milk chocolate with whole nuts, cocoa. Glad to hear you’re not bloated any more.

13. Lara (Thinspired)
    31 August, 2009 at 3:31 am (6 years ago)

I love that you are naming your juices ;)
    Rice, bananas, yogurt, salmon, and shrimp. I enjoyed Gena’s post too. I guess I am somewhere in between the two ends of the spectrum?

31 August, 2009 at 4:40 am (6 years ago)

yeah~ Love their names…. I’ll definitely making these combos when I get back.
    favorite 5 foods? Kabocha, corns, greens (especially arugula lately), dark chocolate and fresh baked bread! ;)

15. Kimberly@Living Free
    31 August, 2009 at 5:00 am (6 years ago)

I’m so glad you are figuring out what does/doesn’t work for your tummy! Four days without bloat sounds AWESOME!!! I’m still working on what works for me.

I LOVE lime in my juice. I have never tried cabbage yet. I think I have some that needs to be used though. Are you eating mostly raw these days?

Have a great day!!

16. Kimberly@Living Free
    31 August, 2009 at 5:02 am (6 years ago)

Oh, not sure what my favorite 5 foods are. I am really loving a new raw breakfast cereal that I have been making lately, and of course there is spinach, sunbutter, cherries and chocolate(which I’m not supposed to have:).

17. Alison
    31 August, 2009 at 7:59 am (6 years ago)

Ack! Not a chocolate person – how is that possible? :-) Actually I know plenty of people who don’t like chocolate – but I just can’t imagine it.

I love:
    Chocolate
    Spinach
    Peanut Butter
    Sweet Potatoes
    Blueberries

31 August, 2009 at 8:11 am (6 years ago)

I LOVE that you are loving your juicer and such wonderful juices you are making!

I’ve been on a break.

don’t know why?

I bought a carrot apple ginger from Sprouts last night!

I am addicted to avos too, and coconut butter, oatmeal cookies, bananas, and all sorts of coconut products (feel like I have dairy back in my life)

these are the staples and I go from there. of course veggies galor (right now it’s mushrooms)

oh well.

Happy Monday

19. Sara
    31 August, 2009 at 9:34 am (6 years ago)

My top five favorite foods are:
    Shrimp
    Carrots
    Mashed Potatoes
    Spinach
    Strawberries

Other than the mashed potatoes most of my favorites are foods, not the end products. I also found Gena’s post to be insightful.

20. Hil
    1 September, 2009 at 9:18 am (6 years ago)

Spinach, berries, fish, dark chocolate, crusty bread. Honorable mentions to mango, champagne, peaches, peanut butter and coffee.