The juice IS worth the squeeze

Some favorites

Pimp my juice:

30 juice veggies 300x225 The juice IS worth the squeeze

• greens: romaine lettuce, napa cabbage, celery
  • bling: 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 granny smith apple, 1/2 lemon, ginger knob, mint

Smooth Jazz Juice (dessert):

34 dessert juice veggies 300x225 The juice IS worth the squeeze

• rhythm: celery, 1/2 cucumber
  • melody: 1 asian pear, 1/2 fuji apple, mint, 1/2 lime

Another morning, another Pimp My Juice

35 morning juice veggies 300x225 The juice IS worth the squeeze

36 morning juice1 225x300 The juice IS worth the squeeze

I’m really loving juice. I’ve also discovered that not only am I a juice addict, but I’m also an avocado addict. I had a craving for one on Friday night (midnight snack) and I ate it straight with a spoon and a little bit of coconut butter. It was a smallish avocado and it totally hit the spot.

I have been having frozen fruit (typically grapes or cantaloupe) at night. Chocolate just doesn’t cut it for me for dessert (::gasp::) – I’ve never really been a chocolate person. Fruit is my dessert of choice, but I try to let dinner digest for several hours before digging in.

When I make my juices, the one thing that I have to add is citrus – whether it’s lemon or lime, that zest eliminates the green taste. The ginger is also zesty; Bobby is not as much of a ginger fan as I am so I have to add it at the end if I’m making a juice for both of us. Mint is also a fun addition. These green juices with mint, lime, and cucumber make me think I’m drinking a mojito in the morning… eek! And I don’t ever ever drink.

Gena raised an interesting point today about favorite foods. What are your top 5 favorite foods? I’ll recap later with my thoughts and my own favorites.

20 Comments on The juice IS worth the squeeze

1. Shelby
    30 August, 2009 at 1:46 pm (5 years ago)

Lovely juice combinations! I’ve got to get juicing again!

Right now I’ve been OBSESSED with apples. I’ve already had 3 before noon today!

2. Mara @ What's for Dinner?
    30 August, 2009 at 2:09 pm (5 years ago)

I could have nothing but juice every day and be happy… though i think i’d still be hungry!!

favorite foods?? crab, sushi, cherries, peaches, grilled zucchini

3. smurfette
    30 August, 2009 at 3:11 pm (5 years ago)

Now I want a juicer!!! Those recipes sound great. I am addicted to avocado too I love it on my salads and in my sandwiches the best ones are the home grown ones. My grandma has a tree so once a year I get a bunch it’s awesome! 5 foods I can’t live without are

Dark chocolate
    cheese
    fresh greens
    oatmeal with bannanas and cinnimon
    peanut butter

30 August, 2009 at 3:37 pm (5 years ago)

Awesome juice!!

My top 5: broccoli, sweet potatoes, avocado, almond butter, and dark chocolate.

5. Jules
    30 August, 2009 at 4:09 pm (5 years ago)

Those juices look so good! I need a juicer, after seeing how much juice you’ve been making :) I think my top five foods are hummus, blueberries, mango, avocado, and salsa. I’m not sure though, I like so many different things…

6. Emily
    30 August, 2009 at 5:45 pm (5 years ago)

my top five, in no particular order: raw cashews; dark chocolate; dates; nectarines; broccoli. although, those last two may be substituted with whatever fruit and veggie is in season and particularly awesome at a given time.

7. Justine
    30 August, 2009 at 6:10 pm (5 years ago)

Look at those juices. Will you send me some? Think they will hold up in the mail?? hahaha I love ginger also. I always look forward to getting sushi because of the ginger they serve on the side. 5 favorite food??

1. peanut butter
    2. chocolate
    3. brussel sprouts
    4. any fruits
    5. ?

There are so many I cant decide!!!!!!!!!

~Justine

8. Maria
    30 August, 2009 at 6:22 pm (5 years ago)

I’m so glad to hear that juice is working well for you. I really want to try some of yours :)

9. Gena
    30 August, 2009 at 7:30 pm (5 years ago)

Well you know my answers now! But isn’t it a fun conversation? Glad it interested you :)

10. clare
    30 August, 2009 at 8:01 pm (5 years ago)

maggie i want to know about the word “knob.” i hate that word, for some reason it grosses me out.

11. Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl
    30 August, 2009 at 9:56 pm (5 years ago)

My favorite 5 foods? Hmmm… Can I have 6? LOL – I’d have to say frozen blueberries, macadamia nuts, almond butter, spinach, Oikos organic Greek yogurt, and chocolate. Yeah, that’s 6! Oops! ;-)

*smiles*
    Michele

12. Damjana
    31 August, 2009 at 12:28 am (5 years ago)

My top 5: oatmeal, pancakes, apples, milk chocolate with whole nuts, cocoa. Glad to hear you’re not bloated any more.

13. Lara (Thinspired)
    31 August, 2009 at 3:31 am (5 years ago)

I love that you are naming your juices ;)
    Rice, bananas, yogurt, salmon, and shrimp. I enjoyed Gena’s post too. I guess I am somewhere in between the two ends of the spectrum?

31 August, 2009 at 4:40 am (5 years ago)

yeah~ Love their names…. I’ll definitely making these combos when I get back.
    favorite 5 foods? Kabocha, corns, greens (especially arugula lately), dark chocolate and fresh baked bread! ;)

15. Kimberly@Living Free
    31 August, 2009 at 5:00 am (5 years ago)

I’m so glad you are figuring out what does/doesn’t work for your tummy! Four days without bloat sounds AWESOME!!! I’m still working on what works for me.

I LOVE lime in my juice. I have never tried cabbage yet. I think I have some that needs to be used though. Are you eating mostly raw these days?

Have a great day!!

16. Kimberly@Living Free
    31 August, 2009 at 5:02 am (5 years ago)

Oh, not sure what my favorite 5 foods are. I am really loving a new raw breakfast cereal that I have been making lately, and of course there is spinach, sunbutter, cherries and chocolate(which I’m not supposed to have:).

17. Alison
    31 August, 2009 at 7:59 am (5 years ago)

Ack! Not a chocolate person – how is that possible? :-) Actually I know plenty of people who don’t like chocolate – but I just can’t imagine it.

I love:
    Chocolate
    Spinach
    Peanut Butter
    Sweet Potatoes
    Blueberries

31 August, 2009 at 8:11 am (5 years ago)

I LOVE that you are loving your juicer and such wonderful juices you are making!

I’ve been on a break.

don’t know why?

I bought a carrot apple ginger from Sprouts last night!

I am addicted to avos too, and coconut butter, oatmeal cookies, bananas, and all sorts of coconut products (feel like I have dairy back in my life)

these are the staples and I go from there. of course veggies galor (right now it’s mushrooms)

oh well.

Happy Monday

19. Sara
    31 August, 2009 at 9:34 am (5 years ago)

My top five favorite foods are:
    Shrimp
    Carrots
    Mashed Potatoes
    Spinach
    Strawberries

Other than the mashed potatoes most of my favorites are foods, not the end products. I also found Gena’s post to be insightful.

20. Hil
    1 September, 2009 at 9:18 am (5 years ago)

Spinach, berries, fish, dark chocolate, crusty bread. Honorable mentions to mango, champagne, peaches, peanut butter and coffee.