Raw KABOCHA

Raw kabocha.

Oh yes I did. It’s shredded. On a salad.

05 raw kabocha salad 300x239 Raw KABOCHA

• base: red leaf lettuce
  • toppings: raw shredded kabocha, seaweed, raw corn, radishes, purple cabbage, heirloom tomatoes, raw blue cheese (I added that after the picture), maybe something else…
  • dressing: liquid gold elixir

Was it good? Yes. Great, actually – but only because of the liquid gold elixir. I tried some plain and it was starchy and yuck. Only try this if you make the liquid gold elixir. Seriously – if you haven’t made it yet, you must.

The other fun topping was a bunch of radishes:

04 radishes 300x236 Raw KABOCHA

I saw them at Han Kook (Korean grocery) and nabbed the bunch for $0.50. They were kind of bland. I like my dad’s homegrown ones better.

This morning I was up early (5am! why? I went to bed at 1am!) and after lying in bed for 1.5 hours after waking, I gave up and decided to be productive. I got in a nice 35 minute yoga flow (on my own, to Chopin) before I drove Bobby to a networking class over at Mission College (where I’m taking my classes) and then I went out to a new farmers’ market (new to me) in Santa Clara where I bought way too much produce. Now I’m lounging, but I think I’ll go read or do a GRE essay practice (still haven’t done this… putting it off). I also want to get some rebounding in today.

Hope you’re all having a great weekend icon smile Raw KABOCHA

10 Comments on Raw KABOCHA

1. junghwa
    5 September, 2009 at 1:31 pm (5 years ago)

heyyy loving your salad. i wouldn’t recommend eating kabocha raw. i’ve from several asian herb and medicine doctors that kabocha shouldn’t be eaten raw. ><

2. Jess
    5 September, 2009 at 1:33 pm (5 years ago)

I need to try kobocha so badly!! I can’t find it at any of my grocery stores though :(

Love what you did with it!!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

3. Jess
    5 September, 2009 at 1:33 pm (5 years ago)

Kabocha*** :)

4. Dori
    5 September, 2009 at 2:03 pm (5 years ago)

I want a rebounder! That would have helped me yesterday when I wanted to do cardio but Rob wasn’t home yet and he had the keycard to get into the gym. By the time he got home, it was late and I was too tired!

I was also thinking I wanted to try yoga again. I think my Exhale class card doesn’t work for yoga but I have to ask, maybe they will let me.

5 September, 2009 at 2:08 pm (5 years ago)

raw kabocha? woooooo!!!! I can’t imagine its texture! I’ll definitely make that dressing, sounds delish~
    5am? I woke up at 6am (went bed 1am), it’s not the most pleasant thing on vacation .. but whatever. :)

6. Mountain Mama
    5 September, 2009 at 4:03 pm (5 years ago)

Last winter I shredded raw winter squash (may have been a butternut) and tossed it with some yogurt and harvesty spices (cinnamon, allspice, cloves) to make an Autumn slaw.

My try that this year with Kabocha.

7. Holly
    5 September, 2009 at 7:07 pm (5 years ago)

oooohhh i love that idea of putting it raw on a salad! i will definitely have to give that a shot. i also like your new month resolutions – i should be making some of those myself :)

8. Jules
    6 September, 2009 at 7:30 pm (5 years ago)

That salad looks really yum. The kabocha looks like carrot. I actually helped Dad plant the radishes this year :)

9. Kimberly@Living Free
    7 September, 2009 at 5:45 am (5 years ago)

I have tried raw squashes before and agree that you need something to help them taste okay. I like sweet potatoes raw though:)

That wellness club sounds really cool! Glad you got to go:)

Happy rebounding!

10. Katie Joy
    7 September, 2009 at 9:04 pm (5 years ago)

Oh no you di’int….

I LOVE winter squash. In college (back when I cooked more, I think as both a stress reliever and a way to show off in front of roommates, haha), I would bake a half of acorn squash with stevia, cinnamon, and nutmeg and eat it for dessert. Kabocha and acorn squash are my favorites; butternut squash comes second. Pumpkin is great…but SO been-there-done-that ;-)

I love your blog, by the way, and look forward to becoming more of an active commenter instead of just a lurker/”twitter” friend. Have a great night!

-Katie