Piano, Raw Salads, Farmers’ Markets – Oh my!

Before I get to the food, look what we got yesterday:

yamaha piano ydp160 300x166 Piano, Raw Salads, Farmers Markets   Oh my!

It’s a wonderful Yamaha electric piano (Arius YDP160) from Guitar Center. It’s not just a keyboard – it is electric, but it has weighted keys (all 88 of them) and sounds better than most real uprights. It’s a gift from Bobby’s parents: thank you so much! We love it. We really really love it. I played last night a little bit and as soon as I finish this post I’m going to play some more. I set a lofty goal to learn 10 new pieces by the end of the year so I have to get moving.

Here are some of the salads I’ve had over the last few days.

Raw salad #1:

07 raw salad 300x236 Piano, Raw Salads, Farmers Markets   Oh my!

• base: various lettuces
  • toppings: red cabbage, raw blue cheese, heirloom tomatoes, red peppers,
  • dressings: Herdez red salsa, liquid gold elixir

Raw salad #2:

09 tomato braggs 300x225 Piano, Raw Salads, Farmers Markets   Oh my!

• simple tomato (heirloom) salad with bragg’s liquid aminos

This was eaten last Saturday while watching 27 Dresses… which was so bad that I didn’t even finish it. Maybe my tastes have changed, but I really was not feeling that movie. Maybe I just don’t like Katherine Heigl.

I don’t think I ever showed you guys my farmers’ market bounty from last week. While making a salad…

10 farmers market 300x225 Piano, Raw Salads, Farmers Markets   Oh my!

This was so much food. I’ve managed to eat most of it (and I had to supplement some of the juicing items like celery and cucumber). This was all from the Santa Clara market.

Raw salad #3:

11 raw salad 300x225 Piano, Raw Salads, Farmers Markets   Oh my!

• base: interesting green from the farmers’ market; it’s something Asian
  • toppings: raw beets, red peppers, fennel, Brussels sprouts, raw blue cheese, kohlrabi
  • dressing: liquid gold elixir

All mixed up:

12 raw salad mixed 300x225 Piano, Raw Salads, Farmers Markets   Oh my!

See the thick bottoms of the greens? I didn’t like them much and ended up throwing them out. For the rest of the greens (that I hadn’t used yet) I juiced the bottoms.

I actually have more salads, believe it or not, but I’m going to save them for a later date. I have to go find my battery charger for my old camera (which I’m using now; the newer one broke – er, I dropped it). I’m going to the San Jose farmers’ market today to check it out and update my Bay Area Post.

Words of the day!

10 Comments on Piano, Raw Salads, Farmers’ Markets – Oh my!

1. Peggy (Mom)
    11 September, 2009 at 11:23 am (5 years ago)

YAY!!!!!!!! PIANO!!!!!!!

11 September, 2009 at 11:26 am (5 years ago)

LOVE the piano!!! I’ve been composing music and playing the piano since I was 6, so I definitely can appreciate the excitement :-D

11 September, 2009 at 11:47 am (5 years ago)

wooooo!! you play piano?! that’s awesome!!!
    Love all your salad combos! :D I made my parents salad using liquid gold exilir, they loved it! ;)

4. Sophia
    11 September, 2009 at 7:53 pm (5 years ago)

Hey, you live in CA too, right? Is it ALWAYS salad-eating weather here? lol.

YES Piano! How well can you play? I learned for about 1 year, stopped, then learned for about 6 months, stopped, and then learned for another 1.5 years until I stopped again. lol.

5. clare
    11 September, 2009 at 8:30 pm (5 years ago)

oh congrats on your piano! this blog will def. need some VIDEOS soon!! :)

maggie tell me that is a purple cherokee tomato??

6. Anna
    12 September, 2009 at 5:56 am (5 years ago)

Your word blog is so cool! I just started Swahili classes over here in Kenya and I think you would find the language REALLY interesting- it’s unlike any I’ve every seen!

7. Brittany
    12 September, 2009 at 5:33 pm (5 years ago)

What an awesome present! Do you and Bobby both play?

I’m probably way behind on this but I just noticed that you posted your version of the liquid gold elixir. I’ll have to try it soon!

8. Tina
    13 September, 2009 at 2:46 am (5 years ago)

Another pianist in the Blogger-world! Wohoo!

Glad your piano’s good! But what you say is true though, if you have a GOOD electric piano, it’s actually quite possible that it sounds better than a real one. I mean if you put the prices up against each other… it’s better and CHEAPER to buy a good electric piano than a good real piano and if you get stuck with a bad real piano.. well, it’s not exactly bliss -_-…

That gold elixir sounds good, I’ve been looking for a good dressing ;)

9. Alisa - Frugal Foodie
    13 September, 2009 at 11:23 am (5 years ago)

Congrats on the piano; how much fun!