Birthday Yums

This was the birthday breakfast:

04 tart froyo 225x300 Birthday Yums

Tart frozen yogurt from Red Mango. Did you know that tart frozen yogurt is always sweetened? I did not. I wish that some place would make really really tart froyo, but this was pretty delicious anyway.

maggie froyo 225x300 Birthday Yums

Bobby liked his breakfast too (Sarku Japan… I stole some. It’s actually really good fast food.):

bobby sarku japan 225x300 Birthday Yums

Then we shopped! We got some espresso samples at Williams Sonoma…

05 espresso 300x235 Birthday Yums

And I got “cookie” tea from Lupicia. I also got a bunch of clothes. I was a happy girl.

5537 cookie tea Birthday Yums

Black tea scented with an image of freshly baked caramel cookies. Best served with milk.” I had it plain, thank-you-very-much.

Last night I brought back something that’s been missing in my life.

06 protein oat bran 300x242 Birthday Yums

Oat bran. This bowl had almond butter from Trader Joe’s and Jay Robb vanilla protein powder, courtesy of my sweet sweet friend Heather! I love it! She sent me some other birthday goodies that I’ve been enjoying and will share soon. I cook up my oat bran with lots of water, then wait for it to get creamy. I pour it in a bowl and put it in the freezer so it cools and gets super-thick.

I have another confession. I spent my birthday night organizing because I love it. I made a jewelry box out of a cardboard box and some pretty tissue paper, then I arranged all of my jewelry in it. I cleaned my closet and made a huge bag to give to Goodwill. I went through the bathroom cabinets and thew out the old stuff. It was possibly the best birthday ever. (I’m actually being serious.)

I forgot to say yesterday, but this cool chick shares my birthday icon smile Birthday Yums We both watched Biggest Loser last night (pretty good, I think). Overall, a great birthday!

(Word post – why is English so popular?)

18 Comments on Birthday Yums

16 September, 2009 at 11:48 am (5 years ago)

you look so happy in that pic with your breakfast! :D So happy for you!
    I’ll give your birthday present in person! I’ll make it worth the LONG wait! ;)
    Glad you enjoyed oat bran, I wish I can enjoy it without bloating my belly! (okay, I think I put to many exclamations already!)

2. Katie
    16 September, 2009 at 11:50 am (5 years ago)

Happy Belated Birthday, Maggie! I’m so sorry I did not post yesterday, but am glad you got so much love on here :-) First off, the Chia ice cream looks wonderful! Almost sorbet-consistency….is that how it tastes? More ice-y than fluffy, if that makes sense…which is NOT a bad thing. I often make smoothies for myself and leave out yogurt, cottage cheese, whatever so it’s more like a slushie, really, than a smoothie.
    I didn’t hop on the Pinkberry/PB-spawned yogurt train for quite some time, because I was a plain yogurt snob and figured people were going crazy over what was essentially Fage put through a froyo machine then topped with cereal and fruit. Basically my go-to breakfast for years on end, haha…..I wish they’d leave out the sweetener, too. But I suppose that is a reason why it is so popular. Our country is kinda like Edgar from the movie Men In Black…sugar EVERYWHERE.
    Was that nerdy of me to just mention Men In Black?
    Your birthday sounds fantastic, especially the organizing part. A favorite passtime of mine is drawer-cleaning, so I completely understand :) And your post made me feel better that I don’ have any huge plans for my birthday — it reminded me that it is truly the simple things that I enjoy most and make me happy. So thanks :-)

16 September, 2009 at 12:16 pm (5 years ago)

OH I love really super tart fro yo to!~
    just had some a couple of weekends ago

shopping fun and organizing on your bday!

ahhhhhhhhhhhh

sounds like the perfect day!
    love your big beautiful smile!

4. Christina
    16 September, 2009 at 12:34 pm (5 years ago)

I went to Williams Sonoma and they didn’t have any samples! Booo :( hehe ;)

I’m glad you enjoyed your day!! I don’t organize often, but I agree – once you get in that groove and you’re cleaning everything out and accomplishing order it’s a GREAT feeling!

16 September, 2009 at 12:50 pm (5 years ago)

I wish someone would make a good super tart dairy/soy free fro-yo. I’m so high maintenance. :)

So glad you enjoyed your birthday, and isn’t the Jay Robb vanilla so amazing in oats? I gotta try the freezer tip. What a great idea. Love my oats super thick as well. Yum!

6. Marina
    16 September, 2009 at 1:01 pm (5 years ago)

Happy Birthday! Frozen yogurt is a great idea for a Birthday breakfast! :)

7. greenbird
    16 September, 2009 at 1:33 pm (5 years ago)

Happy, happy birthday, Maggie! that cookie tea sounds fantastical!

8. Melinda
    16 September, 2009 at 1:37 pm (5 years ago)

Happy Birthday! Looks like you had a great birthday :)
    Loving the espresso samples :)

9. Sarah (LovIN My Tummy)
    16 September, 2009 at 1:48 pm (5 years ago)

You are so adorable! I’m glad you had such a nice bday. I was thinking about you today because I am actually trying something new that you were trying when we last emailed. I am hoping its been great for you. Could I be any more cryptic here? ;)

10. elise
    16 September, 2009 at 2:19 pm (5 years ago)

sounds like you had a nice day of shopping and good eats. hilarious that you spent the PM organizing bc thats SOOO something i would do – hahaha

love you!!

16 September, 2009 at 2:59 pm (5 years ago)

AWESOME celebration!!

So sorry about our call today!! We’ll chat soon xo

12. Jules
    16 September, 2009 at 6:32 pm (5 years ago)

Ooh, the froyo looks awesome. Isn’t Jay Robb protein powder awesome? I love Heather for it :) I should organize my stuff too, my closet is a HUGE mess.

13. Maria
    16 September, 2009 at 6:37 pm (5 years ago)

Happy Birthday, Maggie!

Sounds like you had an awesome time with Bobby! Red Mango for breakfast is something I would have loved on my birthday ;)

14. Melissa
    16 September, 2009 at 8:52 pm (5 years ago)

Mags – you need to come to Utah! We have a frozen yogurt (all natural, I might add) place that a friend of mine founded called Spoon Me! It’s amazing…so, so, SO tart, and the spoons are even edible!

15. Alisa - Frugal Foodie
    16 September, 2009 at 9:01 pm (5 years ago)

Happy birthday again! It looks like a fun one … you two are too cute!

16. kim
    17 September, 2009 at 5:17 am (5 years ago)

happy belated birthday! A big kabocha hug to you. :)

17. Biz
    17 September, 2009 at 12:37 pm (5 years ago)

Happy Birthday Maggie! I could spend all day at Williams-Sonoma!

Nectarine with salt/pepper/dill?? I may just have to give that one a try! :D

18. Holly
    17 September, 2009 at 8:14 pm (5 years ago)

I AM TOTALLY LATE BUT HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAGGIE! i hope you had a wonderful day! and quite frankly, i would love to organize on my birthday too :)