Simple Thai Stir-fry with Spiralized Summer Squash

I made this yesterday for lunch. My lovely sister sent me a spiralizer for my birthday and I had been dying to find a good recipe for it. I made zucchini noodles a few days ago, but once I was done I wasn’t in the mood for zucchini. I put them in the fridge and almost forgot about them until lunchtime yesterday. You definitely don’t have to use spiralized summer squash though; you could just chop it up, or use a different vegetable altogether.

I based this off of a stir-fry that we had on Monday night when our friends Ryan and Janet came over. I’ll share pics of that at the end. The ingredients list looks long, but I promise it’s simple. Read the instructions and you can substitute any veggies/proteins that you want!

Simple Thai Stir-fry with Spiralized Summer Squash

Simple Thai Stir fry with Spiralized Summer Squash

Ingredients (serves 1 Maggie as a meal; 2-4 as a side)

• 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 4 cloves of garlic, crushed or grated
  • protein: a few slices of chopped tofurkey, or some tofu, or other protein (chicken, lunchmeat, shrimp)
  • veggies: 1/2 medium white onion = <1/2 cup total; 2 medium stalks of celery, sliced = <1 cup total; 5 Brussels sprouts, cut in quarters
  • 1-2 tablespoons fish sauce (optional for vegans/vegetarians)
  • 2-3 tablespoons pineapple juice (other fruit juice would work too)
  • 1 tablespoon sweetener (I used about 2 teaspoons Trader Joe’s stevia)
  • spices: dash of red pepper flakes (1/4 teaspoons), a few sprinkles of fresh ground pepper
  • 1 large summer squash = 2+ cups of spiralized summer squash noodles (or use real noodles/pasta! I’d toss in some cooked vermicelli)

Directions

Simple Thai Stir fry with Spiralized Summer Squash

1. Heat the oil in a wok on high heat. Add the garlic, tofurkey, onion, celery, and Brussels sprouts. If you are using meat, you may want to add the meat by itself at first, before adding the rest of the veggies.
  2. Add the stevia, spices, pineapple juice, and fish sauce (if using). Saute for about 4-5 minutes.
  3. Add the zucchini. Continue to saute for another 2-3 minutes.
  4. Serve hot, plain or with rice.

I enjoyed this with a nice cup of organic Throat Comfort Yogi tea. “Live from your heart, you will be most effective.”

Simple Thai Stir fry with Spiralized Summer Squash

When we had this with Ryan and Janet, Ryan made it and he used chicken for the protein, and sugar in the raw for the sweetener.

10 ryan janet bobby cooking 450x337 Simple Thai Stir fry with Spiralized Summer Squash

The veggies were: celery, scallions, yellow pepper, and green chilis (no Brussels or zucchini), and also cashews.

Simple Thai Stir fry with Spiralized Summer Squash

Bobby, Ryan, and Janet all had theirs with rice; I had mine with spaghetti squash. This is my first plate.

12 thai stir fry spaghetti squash 450x337 Simple Thai Stir fry with Spiralized Summer Squash

Ryan has a Nikon D40 (the SLR I might want – I’m also looking at the D3000) and he let me play with it when they came over. I really really want it. I’m not sure if I can justify spending almost $500 (or more on the D3000) on a new camera, when it’s my fault that I broke my old one, and I don’t have a full-time job. One reader reminded me that I can call it a tax write-off, which is making me lean towards getting it.

What was the last thing you splurged on?

18 Comments on Simple Thai Stir-fry with Spiralized Summer Squash

1. Holly
    23 September, 2009 at 10:06 am (5 years ago)

i am LOVING that thai stir fry…brings me back to my adventures in asia and major nostalgia. looks soooo good!

last time i splurged…well, i have been so broke, i haven’t really been able to do so except for maybe some more expensive target purchases :)

23 September, 2009 at 10:12 am (5 years ago)

so timing is this post! zucchini noodles is in my menu tonight! I’ll make something similar, sounds real delish~~~ :D

3. Christina
    23 September, 2009 at 10:40 am (5 years ago)

Oh God I haven’t splurged in forever! So depressing :(

Looks like a fun night and I’ve been in the mood for stir fry lately – this isn’t helping! hehe

4. Michelle
    23 September, 2009 at 11:13 am (5 years ago)

Ohhh stir-fry! you can’t go wrong with them. I’m kinda like you too!! I’ll chop up something or even cook it, then NOT feel like eating it anymore and have to store it in the fridge. hahaha :P

5. Abby
    23 September, 2009 at 12:31 pm (5 years ago)

A spiralizer looks so fun! Although I love pasta, I would like to try zucchini noodles once…yum!

My last splurge–not counting food purchases–was a new pair of running shoes. They were only $40, but I walk so dang much that I wear them out. Not super “fun,” but fun for me! Otherwise my splurges are on organics…BIG fun for me :)

P.S. You rock the kitchen, sister…

6. Alison
    23 September, 2009 at 12:52 pm (5 years ago)

What’s in throat comfort tea? I have a cold right now and that sounds very good.

7. Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries
    23 September, 2009 at 1:32 pm (5 years ago)

Whoa I am seeing this spiralizing action everywhere! I need one… that looks amazing!

8. Alisa - Frugal Foodie
    23 September, 2009 at 1:50 pm (5 years ago)

I love the idea of the squash noodles, but must confess that I don’t like the taste of raw squash. I had it at Go Raw Cafe as noodles, and tried it on another occasion, but it just doesn’t work for me.

So I love that you cook yours a bit! I saw another cooked version that I may give a try, I think it was on Mark’s Daily Apple.

9. Lindsey (Mrs. LC)
    23 September, 2009 at 2:13 pm (5 years ago)

I have a Nikon D40 and I love it! (I know Ryan from GreensforGood.com does too). If you find a good deal on one on Amazon, try bringing that to Best Buy – supposedly they match prices. Also, check craigslist. Completely doesn’t sound legit, but over the summer one of my sister’s friends found Nikon D40 that had only been used like 5 times on craigslist for $150 or something like that. Definitely search around!

10. Meghan
    23 September, 2009 at 5:32 pm (5 years ago)

We splurged on a trip to San Francisco and Napa a few weeks ago. It was worth it! I love Thai stir fries. I made a Thai coconut curry the other night and have been eating it for 3 days. I can not get enough!

11. Erin
    23 September, 2009 at 7:20 pm (5 years ago)

Thai stir fry looks very lovely.

I haven’t splurged in a while, unless you count the coin I spent hosting my sister’s bridal shower, lol!

12. glidingcalm
    23 September, 2009 at 7:47 pm (5 years ago)

That stir fry sounds wonderful!! Very pretttttty! Thanks for the recipe Maggie!

13. clare
    23 September, 2009 at 8:41 pm (5 years ago)

oh splurge! today i bought a new be present top and lulu pants.

if you get the d300 i will have major camera envy! ;)

14. Peanut Butter Bliss
    24 September, 2009 at 4:49 am (5 years ago)

oh my goodness – I love thai food and veggies so of course I think this meal sounds great!! You always have great ethnic cuisine on this blog thats so healthy – i love it!

15. Elizabeth Edith
    24 September, 2009 at 7:53 pm (5 years ago)

Congrats on the spiralizer! AND you have a juicer. I’m super jealous :-)

I’ve kind of thought about trying to get a spiralizer, but I’m not sure how much I’d use it. I’m excited to see your recipes and what you do with it!

16. regis and kelly halloween 2010
    31 October, 2010 at 5:50 pm (3 years ago)