These are protein and fiber crepes that I made two mornings ago. I also have a recipe for egg white crepes here.
Protein Fiber Crepes
- 4 egg whites
- scant 1/3 cup wheat bran (or oat bran, or whole wheat flour)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (I used PB2 powder)
- stevia or other sweetener, to taste (I did about 2 teaspoons stevia)
- dash of salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water
- toppings: kefir, real maple syrup, grapes
- Mix all the ingredients (except the toppings) together. Beat it well. You may add more or less water to get the right consistency. It should be smooth, but not watery.
- Heat a nonstick pan over high heat. Lightly spray with cooking oil.
- Pour 1/3 of the batter into the pan. Let it cook through until you can flip it. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Top with your desired toppings. Maple syrup (real, of course) is my favorite.
The crepes alone (no toppings, using PB2) offer up just 160 calories, 33 grams of protein, 8.3 grams of fiber, 16.3 carbohydrates, and 3.6 grams of fat. Using real peanut butter will obviously give you more healthy fats; I’ll probably try this at some point. Once you add the kefir and maple syrup you’ll have a very well-rounded breakfast. Mine came out kind of ugly, but that’s because my non-stick pan is no longer non-stick.
I recently found a fantastic deal on Coombs Family Farms maple syrup thanks to Alisa at One Frugal Foodie. I got 4 pounds (2 jugs) of organic syrup for just $26.00 on Amazon, and free shipping. All you have to do is pick your maple syrup and use the code BASCOM35 when you check out. You get an additional 15% off if you sign up for their subscription program, which you can just cancel after you get your syrup. My order arrived 2 days after I sent it in. The deal ends on September 30, so make your order quick! I picked Grade B, which is really flavorful.
I also made a version of these crepes yesterday – they included chia seeds and Amazing Grass Supergreens. For some reason they were not crepe-like in the least; they were more like a mushy bran scramble. They tasted fine, but they were quite hideous. I’ll spare you the picture.
Okay, I have no idea why I’m awake at 5AM when I went to bed after 1AM. I’m going to make the most of it and try to be productive. Off to post at A Love of Words…
P.S. Have you submitted your healthy pasta recipes yet?
P.P.S Last chance at Katie’s giveaway!