More Delica yums (San Francisco), oatmeal, & working out!

On Wednesday Bobby and I were up in San Francisco again for a job interview (Bobby’s). We had to go to Delica rf-1 again; we go there almost every time we are in SF. Delica is a sweet little Japanese deli/delicatessen with takeout foods. They have salads, bento boxes, soups, and other cute Japanese dishes.

I got almost the same thing as I did last time (3 salad combo), except I doubled up on the Spicy Burdock Root Salad (A spicy mix of braised burdock and konnyaku (mountain potato) tossed with thin slices of white onion, celery, julienne carrots, and wild mizuna), and got a single a serving of Hijiki and Soybean Salad (Hijiki (seaweed rich in calcium, iron, and fiber) mixed with dried soybeans, edamame, konnyaku (mountain potato), daikon, wild mizuna, fried tofu, and kuko (wolfberry)).

06 maggie delica 400x265 More Delica yums (San Francisco), oatmeal, & working out!

Bobby got the 2 salads + 1 main item combo (like last time). He opted for the Spicy Burdock Root Salad (this is our favorite), the Wasabi Garlic Potato Salad (Garlic potato salad with wasabi mayonnaise, edamame, snap peas, and romaine hearts), and for his main item he got Sweet & Spicy Chicken (Marinated chicken, lightly fried, served with sweet & spicy sauce).

07 bobby delica 400x265 More Delica yums (San Francisco), oatmeal, & working out!

We split that iced tea.

I made my rice cooker oats again for breakfast one day this week…

05 oatmeal 400x325 More Delica yums (San Francisco), oatmeal, & working out!

This time I topped them with chopped dates and a whole bunch of sesame seeds. I love adding sesame seeds to oats – they give a nice chew and crunch. I couldn’t decide which picture I liked better.

04 oatmeal 400x342 More Delica yums (San Francisco), oatmeal, & working out!

Have you tried rice cooker oats yet?

You guys had some really good input about my post regarding rest days. I continued my pattern of unintentional and/or fun workouts the last few days – I had my accidental 5 mile walk on Thursday, yesterday I did 20 minutes of Tom Morley yoga and about a mile of walking (I consider yesterday a very lazy day; I just walked to the grocery store but got too much stuff and Bobby had to pick me up), and so far today I did a 35 minute video – Self: Slim and Sleek, Fast! Bobby has class all day so I’m on my own. We were going to go to a pumpkin festival but that will probably happen tomorrow instead.

Oddly enough, Meghann and Kath both posted about non-rest rest days yesterday! Their opinions were similar to mine. Remember to check out my workout page if you ever want to see what I’ve been doing. And don’t forget about my yoga page – it has lots of great (free) yoga resources. I should probably update it because I’ve found some more (free) sites.

Another post I enjoyed reading was Tina’s post this morning – she ate a pretty amazing looking muffin for breakfast. Muffins are actually one of my favorite foods, but I don’t really eat them that often. She reminded me that I should definitely treat myself occasionally! Back at Cornell, Bobby and I used to go to a cafe called Mate Factor and they had the most amazing muffins. This is their raspberry one (old picture). I’ve posted about Mate Factor HERE and HERE and HERE.

16 raspberry muffin 400x300 More Delica yums (San Francisco), oatmeal, & working out!

I’m off to shower and enjoy this lovely fall Saturday. What are your plans? What’s your favorite muffin?

17 Comments on More Delica yums (San Francisco), oatmeal, & working out!

1. Biz
    3 October, 2009 at 10:52 am (5 years ago)

I agree to just listen to your body – if it needs rest, you’ll know!

Enjoy your Saturday – I had breakfast out with my family and have to head into work – :(

2. Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries
    3 October, 2009 at 11:10 am (5 years ago)

I love muffins, too! I’m a muffin top gal–so my favorite way to stretch a muffin is to eat the top, either plain or with some PB, and save the stump for yogurt crumbling duties :)

3. Lindsay
    3 October, 2009 at 11:24 am (5 years ago)

So those adorable boxes that the food comes in would be enough of a reason for me to eat at Delica. They are adorable! Strange, I know.

I love muffins too! My favorite are pumpkin or lemon popyseed.

3 October, 2009 at 11:47 am (5 years ago)

I like the first picture of the oat meal more than the second one! :)

I really want to try that 3 salads combo. can we go when I go to SF? ;)

I worked this morning and plan to go to a yoga class this afternoon and then do some groceries! :)

5. Eliza
    3 October, 2009 at 11:47 am (5 years ago)

love your blog, and your food looks so good :)
    i was planning to get a rice cooker soon, and now that i see your technique of making oats in it, i must get one asap, considering i am like an oatmeal addict ;) and your oats with dates and sesame seeds, look and sound amazing, i must try that combo :)
    xo
    Eliza

3 October, 2009 at 12:21 pm (5 years ago)

Yes, please update your yoga page. I refer people to it all the time when they email me about online yoga options. :)

Maggie, have you always been a fan of Japanese food? Was that something your family ate growing up? Do you use chopsticks?

No, I have not tried rice cooker oats yet…I need to get on that. Both pictures were beautiful.

Favorite muffin? Never met one I didn’t like. :)

7. Amber
    3 October, 2009 at 12:59 pm (5 years ago)

I want one of those salads right now, yum!

8. Jess
    3 October, 2009 at 2:41 pm (5 years ago)

That muffin looks incredible! I really like pumpkin muffins :D
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

9. Maria
    3 October, 2009 at 5:19 pm (5 years ago)

I love any type of muffins, but these days, pumpkin muffins are calling my name :) My plans for the rest of the weekend is more studying, and then church/Bible study on Sunday. Hope you enjoy yours!

10. Meredith (Pursuing Balance)
    3 October, 2009 at 6:17 pm (5 years ago)

I don’t actually have a rice cooker, so I haven’t made rice cooker oats. Looks good though!

11. Dori
    3 October, 2009 at 6:30 pm (5 years ago)

I really love your current header photo. It is gorgeous and delicious. I love muffins (who doesn’t?) and my favorite would have to be banana nut. I can never turn a banana nut muffin down if it is in front of me!

12. Kasey @ Fit For Wellness
    4 October, 2009 at 7:26 am (5 years ago)

I love San Francisco! I went last year for a work conference and did not want to come home. Thanks for the yoga resources… I’ve been looking for some free at home workouts… Have fun at the pumpkin festival :)

13. Michal
    4 October, 2009 at 11:57 am (5 years ago)

Hmm my favorite muffin, I love them all I just can’t pick one! My plans today are just to relax, my schools homecoming dance was last night and I am completly wiped out. Im just catching up on house work and making a few loaves of homemade bread for earth mama. By the way I love your photographs, your new camera is working beautifully!

14. Allison (Balance in Bites)
    5 October, 2009 at 9:41 am (5 years ago)

I love probably every muffin ever made – blueberry, corn, bran, cranberry, lemon poppy seed, chocolate…. mmmmm. Muffins. Mmmmm.

15. theskinnyplate
    6 October, 2009 at 5:31 pm (5 years ago)

Besides my homemade pumpkin bran muffins, I love the Zen Bakery muffins.

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on More Delica yums (San Francisco), oatmeal, & working out!