Squash Fries Like To Party In My Kitchen

I’m so glad you all liked my post about apple picking yesterday! We had a lot of fun. If you are in the Bay Area, Gizdich Ranch is having an apple butter festival on October 17th – check out their website for more info.

Another announcement – HealthyYum has a coupon code for organic healthy Halloween candy. Check it out!

Recipes used in this post:

Squash Fries Like To Party In My Kitchen

Last night I made a delicious dinner, part of which is pictured here. Also pictured is my big pumpkin. This was miso soup (just hot water, miso, and wakame seaweed), “sweet dumpling squash” fries, and my homemade ketchup. Mmm… squash is amazing. What a lovely carb. Not pictured are the rest of the fries and 2 La Tortilla Factory wraps that I had with peanut butter icon smile Squash Fries Like To Party In My Kitchen

Squash Fries Like To Party In My Kitchen

The sweet dumpling squash are small and roundish; they have delicata coloring. I also call them “I’m a cute squash”. They made great fries.

Squash Fries Like To Party In My Kitchen

A few nights ago I made butternut squash fries for the first time in a while. Once I discovered kabocha, I kind of forgot about butternut. Butternut used to be my go-to squash, and now I remember why. (I still prefer kabocha though.)

13 butternut squash fries Squash Fries Like To Party In My Kitchen

These were also dipped in my homemade ketchup.

I got a few questions about my camera – I use a Nikon D40 (SLR). It’s digital. I got it about two weeks ago. The lens it came with (I got it on craigslist, so it didn’t come with the standard kit lens) is a 55-200mm, 1.4-5.6G lens. It’s great for zoom; it’s actually not that great for close-ups, so I’ll be getting another lens too as soon as I can. If you are debating getting a digital SLR, check out Ken Rockwell’s website. He has great information and advice.

I know, I know – I owe you a carb hugging picture. It’s coming. I just haven’t gotten around to taking it yet. Can you guess which carb (or carb appliance) I’ll be embracing? Maybe I’ll do requests.

(I also have some awesome breakfasts to share… Stay tuned!)

11 Comments on Squash Fries Like To Party In My Kitchen

1. Chocolate Covered Katie
    7 October, 2009 at 5:51 am (5 years ago)

Haha I won’t guess b/c I already know, but I’m super-excited to see your cute face ;)

Requests, huh? Hmmm… well, any photo with our shared lover (Mr. Squash) sounds good to me!

2. Whitney @ Lettuce Love
    7 October, 2009 at 6:54 am (5 years ago)

I am going to try you homemade ketchup recipe — I just hate ketchup from the store, it is too sugary for me.

3. Jen (Running With Cake)
    7 October, 2009 at 7:19 am (5 years ago)

Hi Maggie! Did you get a new header on your home page? Love the ketchup recipe! We use a lot in my house and I hate that it’s loaded with sugar. Do you know how long the homemade stuff lasts? The premade kind seems to have a very long shelf life.

4. Amber
    7 October, 2009 at 8:54 am (5 years ago)

WOW!! I am so intrigued by homemade ketchup! I recently made bbq sauce I must try ketchup now!

5. Melissa
    7 October, 2009 at 9:30 am (5 years ago)

Those look freakin’ delicious, Mags! And do tell more about this homemade ketchup nonsense…perhaps I’ll actually eat ketchup if I can make it haha

6. Biz
    7 October, 2009 at 12:00 pm (5 years ago)

Ha! Love the ketchup – haven’t seen it for a while and kudos for making your own!

7. Alison
    7 October, 2009 at 12:47 pm (5 years ago)

The butternut squash fries look fab!

8. Tina
    7 October, 2009 at 12:52 pm (5 years ago)

I love your homemade stuff :D … Is there any chance you could adopt me and cook me a homemade meal everyday for the rest of my life?
    xx

9. Andrea@WellnessNotes
    7 October, 2009 at 2:26 pm (5 years ago)

I’ll have to make some homemade ketchup now that the toddler “discovered” ketchup and can’t get enough of it… And I’ll pick up a butternut squash too! :)

7 October, 2009 at 3:52 pm (5 years ago)

Ooh – excited about your breakfast posts Maggie. Love me some breakfast. I think I hugged your favorite carb today. :)

I don’t know – I think your new camera takes pretty good close-up shots. Those dinner fries look quite tasty.

11. Chucia
    3 November, 2009 at 3:53 pm (4 years ago)

I am currently studying the sweet dumpling squash, and this recipie looks interesting and may prove to be helpful for my project =]