Breakfast Sushi Panini

I was inspired by Lindsey’s Breakfast Sushi the other day – she had a wrap with almond butter, a pear, and cinnamon. So I ran with it.

First I made a wrap (Flat Out wrap) with shredded apple (from Sunday) and grated blue cheese. I spread the toppings out over the wrap while I heated up my “panini press” (which is actually a waffle maker!).

Breakfast Sushi Panini

I pressed it in the waffle maker for about 4-5 minutes, then cut it in half and ate it with another apple.

Breakfast Sushi Panini

The next morning I was in the mood for a new creation. I sliced a banana and laid it out on the Flat Out wrap. Then I drizzled Greek yogurt and almond butter (warmed in the microwave) on top.

Breakfast Sushi Panini

Breakfast Sushi Panini

I stuck it in the waffle maker again.

Breakfast Sushi Panini

I think I like the banana creation better, but the apple/cheese one is definitely a keeper too. I like the way the waffle maker leaves little squares on the wrap. Who knew you could use a waffle maker as a panini press?

While these guys probably can’t beat out oat bran (my favorite breakfast), they are great for switching things up. I can’t have oat bran for breakfast every day.

What’s your favorite breakfast?

On a more serious note, please take the time to visit Natalie’s Project Feed Me. It’s a donation effort to feed thousands of hungry families.

FeedMeButtonThumbNail Breakfast Sushi Panini

Breakfast Sushi Panini

37 Comments on Breakfast Sushi Panini

1. Abby
    8 October, 2009 at 5:01 am (5 years ago)

For serious, that banana creation looks divine. I don’t have a waffle maker, but I may just bust out my iron to give it a shot (kidding…kind of). I could eat breakfast food every meal of the day and not get sick of it–especially when I’m at home and can enjoy it (only weekends. So sad.)

But, I love oatmeal/oatbran with almond milk and almond butter and fruit, eggs in any form with any type of carb (Ezekiel toast, shredded wheat, etc.) I guess it’s not that creative, but I love my breakfasts!

2. Dori
    8 October, 2009 at 6:15 am (5 years ago)

OMG the banana almond butter panini. I need it. Seriously!

3. Lindsay
    8 October, 2009 at 6:17 am (5 years ago)

Both of those wraps look and sound fantastic! My favorite breakfast is pancakes but I usually only have time for them on weekends. During the week I love yogurt messes.

8 October, 2009 at 6:23 am (5 years ago)

Looks fabulous!

My favorite breakfast = One Lucky Duck raw buckwheat crispies or their g”raw”nola, with hempmilk.

5. Andrea@WellnessNotes
    8 October, 2009 at 6:25 am (5 years ago)

Your breakfast paninis look awesome!

My favorite breakfast is oatmeal with pumpkin butter.

6. Holly
    8 October, 2009 at 7:00 am (5 years ago)

apple + blue cheese wrap? that is a great sweet/salty combo! i am loving all the wrappage. there are so many possibilities – my fave as of late is a good banana + PB + honey + cinnamon, but i think i might have to give apples + cheese a shot!

have a lovely day ms. maggie!

7. Melissa
    8 October, 2009 at 7:31 am (5 years ago)

what an awesome idea, sticking those wraps into your waffle maker!! I am amazed : )

8. Bryan V.
    8 October, 2009 at 7:45 am (5 years ago)

Same here! the banana almond butter panini rocks!

9. Whitney @ Lettuce Love
    8 October, 2009 at 7:57 am (5 years ago)

Wow that looks great! I am all about a big bowl of fruit or a green juice to get me going in the morning. Every once in a while it is fun to go crazy and have a huge stack of pancakes or waffles at the diner.

10. Lindsey @ Sound Eats
    8 October, 2009 at 8:11 am (5 years ago)

Looks delicious! I love that you put it in a waffle press! Thanks for the shout out. :)

11. Amber
    8 October, 2009 at 9:54 am (5 years ago)

Looks fabulous! My breakfast are usually just green smoothies or green juice. Boring. lol

12. Devan Newman
    8 October, 2009 at 10:53 am (5 years ago)

yum! your food looks delicious! :)

currently, my mad love for pumpkin is finding its way into all my breakfasts :)

13. leslie
    8 October, 2009 at 10:57 am (5 years ago)

love the ingenuity with the waffle maker! both those creations sound divine.

my favorite breakfast is oatmeal – i eat it every day and never get tired of it! of course i always change up the mixins, so that keeps things interesting.

14. Anna
    8 October, 2009 at 10:59 am (5 years ago)

Man that camera is AWESOME! you’re photos are incredible. I need an SLR!

15. Christina
    8 October, 2009 at 11:26 am (5 years ago)

Yum! I have a waffle maker that can also turn into a griddle. I could probably do this w/ the little squares or maybe flat? haha

16. Naomi (onefitfoodie)
    8 October, 2009 at 12:02 pm (5 years ago)

so many thought just went through my mind while reeading thsi post and drooling at the pics, such as I NEED TO GO HOME NOW AND MAKE THIS!!! these wraps look phenom!! esp the banana and greek yogurt warmed and pressed in the waffle maker!! love your blog, girl! :)

17. Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama
    8 October, 2009 at 12:04 pm (5 years ago)

My green monsters – hands down. BUT a waffle iron as a panini press? shear genius!

18. carolinebee
    8 October, 2009 at 12:13 pm (5 years ago)

looks delish!! ha and my “panini press” is a george foreman ;D

19. brandi
    8 October, 2009 at 12:35 pm (5 years ago)

yum, what great ideas! I should use my waffle maker more often :)

I love oatmeal and oatbran, too. They’re hard to beat!

20. Lozz
    8 October, 2009 at 1:06 pm (5 years ago)

Hey maggie! those wraps look amazing, so creative!! I was wondering do you make those wraps yourself or do you buy them in a packet??? Always read your blog…first time posting!! You are so inventive with your food it’s inspiring:)xx

21. Tina
    8 October, 2009 at 2:36 pm (5 years ago)

Boonaaner smoothie :P
    But a banana-panini could definitely get me going…
    xx

22. Meghan
    8 October, 2009 at 4:22 pm (5 years ago)

Apple and blue cheese yum!!

8 October, 2009 at 4:37 pm (5 years ago)

I love the apple/bleu cheese combo. I used to make paninis in my George Foreman. It worked. Hmm, I think I need to start doing that again.

Favorite breakfast? These days it’s a toss up between oat bran and Katie’s Brownie Batter Pancakes.

24. Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl
    8 October, 2009 at 5:27 pm (5 years ago)

Hmmmm…. I’d have to say my favorite breakfast is usually a green smoothie. I also love steel-cut oats, but don’t eat them often. Organic Greek yogurt is another favorite – topped with frozen blueberries, of course! :-D

25. Meredith (Pursuing Balance)
    8 October, 2009 at 6:18 pm (5 years ago)

Apple + cheese is a good flavor combo! My favorite breakfast: cereal or oatmeal . . . I can’t decide!

26. Maria
    8 October, 2009 at 6:27 pm (5 years ago)

I used to have the same breakfast all the time (oatmeal), but now I’m changing it up :) Currently, I’m loving green protein pancakes, although I still love oatmeal/oat bran too!

27. Jess
    8 October, 2009 at 6:47 pm (5 years ago)

Mmm, they both sound faulous!! I really like granny smith apple with LC cheese!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

28. Melissa S.
    8 October, 2009 at 7:16 pm (5 years ago)

those wraps look awesome!!! wish i had my press with me!

29. Kasey @ Fit For Wellness
    8 October, 2009 at 8:11 pm (5 years ago)

I’m in love with your banana/almond butter creation… Note to self- must buy panini press/waffle maker ASAP! My favorite breakfast meal is cereal + milk + banana.

30. Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15)
    8 October, 2009 at 9:18 pm (5 years ago)

YUM! I LOVE using my little grill as a panini maker. Tortillas got way cooler.

Great flavor combo: pumpkin and yogurt/cheese

31. sophia
    8 October, 2009 at 11:23 pm (5 years ago)

That’s it. You’re the Queen of Wraps. Holy cow what amazing creations! I used to cringe when I heard apple pie and cheddar cheese, but now I’m convinced they must be made for each other!

32. Maebe
    8 October, 2009 at 11:25 pm (5 years ago)

Hey, I had a Flat out wrap for breakfast, too! It was Nutella with sliced banana, nuked for a few seconds in the microwave. DEEE-lish! Bananas are really yummy in that Flat Out wrap. I originally wanted to add peanut butter but we were out!

One of my favorite breakfasts is steel cut oats w/hazelnut creamer & MANGOs. Just add the mangoes to warm oats and mmm, mmm, good! Reminds me of a mango hotcake I had once at a restaurant…

33. Shelby
    9 October, 2009 at 3:27 am (5 years ago)

I must make a breakfast wrap ASAP!

34. Julz
    9 October, 2009 at 6:32 am (5 years ago)

Mags! HI BOOBOO! So I have not commented in so long! I stopped reading blogs for a while, bc I was actually away for about 9 weeks, but I am back to reading AND BLOGGING! Well, actually, VLOGGING. Yeah. Ha. It has been interesting, and surprisingly SO MUCH FUN! I have adored it!

Anyways, I just wanted to pop in and say hi! Love you boo!

35. Ira Mann
    11 October, 2009 at 11:10 am (5 years ago)

I can’t wait to try your wrap ideas. Sounds like a great, fast meal. Thanks for the info.

36. glidingcalm
    11 October, 2009 at 7:30 pm (5 years ago)

apple and cheese wrap sounds soooooooooooo good!!
    actually they both do!!! banana and nut butter is a fantastic combo too! shredded apple is just kinda exotic!! i wish i could find flat outs here!