This recipe is so simple. It’s based off of a recipe from Meg Wolff (remember my macrobiotic experiment?). Here are my thoughts on macrobiotics (I love it):
- 1 can chickpeas, drained (~2 cups)
- 1 small/medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2-3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1-2 tablespoons grated ginger
- salt, to taste
- <1/4 cup water
- Heat the oil in a wok/pan over high heat. Add the ginger and chopped onion; saute for 2-3 minutes (it should start to smell really good).
- Add the chickpeas and saute for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add a few tablespoons of water to the pan and stir everything around. As the water evaporates, mash a few of the chickpeas so that some are mushed and some are still whole. Add salt, to taste.
- Serve hot with bulgar, or other grain of choice.
Bobby and I both had ours with bulgar. I adore bulgar. Definitely a favorite carb. It fluffs up so much more than rice does. For dessert the night we had this dish, I had more bulgar topped with maple syrup.
I’m off to enjoy my Saturday… what are your weekend plans?