Day of Eats & TOMATOES. TWSS.

Why not? I haven’t done a day of normal food in a while. I was looking at my post from last year on October 11 when Bobby and I went strawberry picking. It was so fun and I remember the day well. It’s cool to have a record of exactly what I did last year at this time.

But back to yesterday. Not everything is pictured, so I hope I remembered to mention everything. Disclaimer: everything pictured was eaten; not everything eaten is pictured. I like to think that this day is a good example of intuitive, varied eating. Let me know what you think.

I started the morning off with fresh goji-nutty-biscotti (recipe to come) that I baked last night. They are semi-healthy, but not overly so. I had 5 of these guys dipped in some cookie tea and a little bit of chocolate peanut butter. A little while after I did some yoga on my own (30 minutes).

Day of Eats & TOMATOES. TWSS.

Bobby and I trekked out to Borders early in the afternoon; I snagged an unpictured apple with almond butter on the way out the door. We stopped in to the fruit stand next to Borders where I had a few nibbles of cookie samples. Peanut Butter was the best (duh). After Borders we made a grocery stop at Trader Joe’s where we got (unpictured) samples of the Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup. In a 1 cup serving: 100 calories, 2 grams fat, 16 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber, 5 grams protein. They added creme fraiche and crispy bread; it was tasty.

Came home, made a lunchy snack. Arame (seaweed) from Heather, some sweet tomatoes, and leftover gingery chickpeas. Topped with Newman’s Own Lowfat Sesame Ginger dressing. Had 2 bowls of this. Lunch dessert: 2 tablespoons dark chocolate dreams peanut butter (unpictured).

Day of Eats & TOMATOES. TWSS.

We ended up buying that soup we sampled, so I heated that up for dinner along with salads. My salad was spinach, parmesan, pickles, olives, tomatoes, arame, sprouts, sunflower seeds, and the rest of the chickpeas. I topped my soup with kefir (my idea), sprouts (Bobby’s idea), and some Morningstar veggie bacon (my idea).

Day of Eats & TOMATOES. TWSS.

Dessert was faux cheesecake (cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, mashed banana) and 3 large handpicked apples spaced throughout the night… and the rest of those yummy tomatoes.

Do you like tomatoes? I love them in just about everything: unsweetened organic ketchup (Biz and Holly!), plain, stir-fried, in sandwiches, in salads, etc… Bobby likes tomatoes sometimes but he doesn’t like when they squirt in your mouth (that’s what she said) so he avoids the little bite-sized ones that I love.

Hey – Do you follow me on Twitter yet?

26 Comments on Day of Eats & TOMATOES. TWSS.

1. Susan
    12 October, 2009 at 5:12 am (5 years ago)

Haha, I just found your blog on Twitter! And yes, I am following you now ;) I luuuurve tomatoes. Often times I’ll just slice up a tomato and eat it as is. I get your fiancee’s thing about the squirting though. I often end up covered in little seeds after eating cherry tomatoes.

2. Abby
    12 October, 2009 at 5:15 am (5 years ago)

Just a question on your faux cheesecake…in this post you mention it’s cottage cheese, Greek yogurt and banana, but when I click on the link, that post’s recipe doesn’t include yogurt. It looks yummy, and I would like to try it!

Looks like you had a fun weekend with some good vittles…:)

12 October, 2009 at 5:17 am (5 years ago)

LOVE tomatoes :)

4. Brittany
    12 October, 2009 at 5:23 am (5 years ago)

It’s fun to see a full day of eats from you Maggie! Your goji nutty biscotti looks very delicious. Happy Monday!

5. Justine
    12 October, 2009 at 5:34 am (5 years ago)

Food looks good babe. I think I am the only person in the blog world that does not like PB&Co.

Can you believe that Holly doesn’t like ketchup?? hahaha I couldn’t live w/o my unsweetened ketchup!! Well maybe I could but my squash fries wouldn’t be nearly as good!

My mom loves that TJ’s soup you bought. Its her fav!

Tomatoes? Love those freaking things. I used to eat them like an apple with salt and pepper sprinkled on each bite when I was little.

Have a fab Monday beautiful lady!!

~Justine

6. brandi
    12 October, 2009 at 6:01 am (5 years ago)

no twitter for me yet :) I’m slow on technology and really just don’t want one more thing to keep up with, actually ;)

I LOVE tomatoes. Love them.

7. Andrea@WellnessNotes
    12 October, 2009 at 6:14 am (5 years ago)

I LOVE tomatoes. So much so that if I could only eat one food for the rest of my life I’d pick tomatoes!!!! :)

12 October, 2009 at 6:15 am (5 years ago)

a great relaxing day indeed! :)
    I like cherry tomatoes in salads and plain! I also like to make egg scrambled with tomatoes.

9. Lindsay
    12 October, 2009 at 7:08 am (5 years ago)

I don’t like tomatoes at all! I don’t mind them in things like tomato sauce but can’t just eat them on their own.

10. Naomi (onefitfoodie)
    12 October, 2009 at 7:50 am (5 years ago)

goji nut biscotti! sounds AMAZING!!

i have made that same faux cheesecake using cottage cheese greek yogurt and banana! it tastes just like cheesecake but full of protein and flavor!!

oh and LOVE tomatoes esp in a tomato mozz salad!!

11. The big blue dog
    12 October, 2009 at 8:22 am (5 years ago)

I am a tomato lover lover!!

Thanks for the follow on Twitter! I returned the follow and added your blog to my reader :) can’t wait to read more!

12. Gaby
    12 October, 2009 at 8:32 am (5 years ago)

Yummy! I want to have a day exactly like that, sounds so relaxing! And I can’t wait for the biscotti recipe
    I put yogurt on soups too! As well as other foods like tacos, potato latkes, etc, it’s kind of a sour cream replacement.
    It’s rainy and gross here so I’m waiting for that to stop so I can get some groceries, WF samples here I come!

13. Anna
    12 October, 2009 at 9:08 am (5 years ago)

I loooove tomatoes! I always hated them as a kid but finally grew into them. Garden fresh tomatoes are heavenly in the summer.

14. Lynn (The Actors Diet)
    12 October, 2009 at 10:43 am (5 years ago)

when i was a child i HATED raw tomatoes. i think combining it with mozzarella as an adult changed my mind.

15. Christina
    12 October, 2009 at 11:36 am (5 years ago)

I stronnngly dislike raw tomatoes! I’m w/ Bobby – when they squirt in your mouth it’s gross! I can eat little chunked up raw bits on tacoes and stuff if it’s all mixed in – I don’t need to pick those out, though. So maybe it’s just the goo in the center!

All the pics look great! You’re making my tummy rumble!

12 October, 2009 at 12:39 pm (5 years ago)

Love tomatoes – especially grape tomatoes. I’ll munch on them while preparing lunch/dinner and there realize there are no tomatoes left for my salad. So good!

Loved seeing a day of eats for you. No oats or kabocha…what have you done with Maggie?!? ;)

17. Kasey @ Fit For Wellness
    12 October, 2009 at 2:16 pm (5 years ago)

I also love the tomato + mozzarella combo… I love tomato sauces too!

18. Jil
    12 October, 2009 at 3:10 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for following me on Twitter! Love your blog! I trekked back and took a peek at your “faux cheesecake” recipe…that looks SO good — I’m definitely making that one!!

19. Maria
    12 October, 2009 at 4:03 pm (5 years ago)

Haha, I like it when it squirts me :) My favorite tomatoes are the grape or cherry ones. The big ones can be tasteless sometimes (not sweet enough for me). Although I love anything with cooked tomatoes from ketchup, marinara, to soups!

20. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)
    12 October, 2009 at 4:56 pm (5 years ago)

I love tomatoes and my 2 yr old eats them like apples. Guess it runs in the family :)

21. Lori
    12 October, 2009 at 5:04 pm (5 years ago)

Those bars look good!
    I don’t care for tomatoes, really. I like sun-dried tomatoes, but I really don’t care for them raw. I think I am just weird, though!

22. linda
    12 October, 2009 at 10:36 pm (5 years ago)

My favorite line ever, “they are semi-healthy, but not overly so.”

I can’t wait to see your goji biscotti recipe. I’m not sure what to do with all that I bought and think this could be a perfect treat to bring to the office and share.

23. Pam
    13 October, 2009 at 10:06 am (5 years ago)

Can’t wait for the biscotti recipe…yum!

24. Holly
    14 October, 2009 at 9:48 am (5 years ago)

haha thanks for the mini shoutout! i do LOVE tomatoes, just not in ketchup form. how that makes sense is beyond me :)

i am in NEED of your biscotti recipe – that looks amazing miss maggie!