Getting Fit with Tabata and Crossfit

On Tuesday night my new friend (Jill) and I went to Whole Foods for a free class – “Get Fit with Catra“. Catra is a rockstar ultramarathoner, so we were a little nervous. It ended up being really fun. Catra does this thing called Crossfit (Natalie is doing this now too) and it seems pretty intense, but fun. I had no idea that Whole Foods had such great free programs – we were sent home with a book and a bunch of free samples, including the new Amazing Grass Peanut Butter bar – yum.

Back to the class. Catra started out with a short intro, and then we jumped right in to the exercise. We stretched first, and then she had us do lunges using the Tabata method. The Tabata method is apparently one of the most effective way to improve your cardio endurance and burn fat (though… I actually want more fat. But it’s fun nonetheless, and I am never one to turn down the opportunity to try new exercise). The great thing about Tabata is that you can do it in short intervals (3-7 minutes) and it’s still really beneficial.

Tabata lunges: 20 seconds lunging as hard/fast as you can; 10 seconds resting. Repeat 8 times (4 minutes). I managed to do 11-12 lunges during each 20 second set.

Okay, my legs actually felt pretty fine after this. Were they fine the day after? Heck no. My legs were sore yesterday (Wednesday), but they didn’t reach maximum soreness until today (Thursday). Apparently my quads are not as strong as I thought. After the lunges we did…

Tabata pushups: 20 seconds pushups; 10 seconds resting. My arms are strong but since I’m trying not to gain muscle (long story), I took it easy for these. I did them on my knees and every time I started feeling it I pushed back into down dog.

Were my arms sore the next day? Not noticeably – probably because I didn’t push myself here.

Catra said this week was an easy week since we couldn’t go outside (it was raining) and it was the first week of the class (8 weeks total). The class will end with a 5K. I have never run a race before. The longest distance I ever ran was about 5 miles, I think.

Have you done the Tabata method or Crossfit? What did you think?

15 Comments on Getting Fit with Tabata and Crossfit

1. Amber
    15 October, 2009 at 9:37 am (5 years ago)

I always wanted to check out the Whole foods classes thanks for the review. I am excited to here how the training progresses.
    I take a power flex class every week, basically quick intervals that work out different parts of your body. I love it.

2. Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries
    15 October, 2009 at 9:39 am (5 years ago)

Crossfit sounds so interesting! I love reading Natalie’s posts on it bc it’s so far from any exercise I’ve ever done. I’ve been thinking about focusing more on strength training–and it definitely seems like an effective approach to doing so!

3. Dori
    15 October, 2009 at 9:40 am (5 years ago)

Crossfit scares me. Tabata seems like too much thinking for me, I am so lazy. But I should look into it more…

4. Biz
    15 October, 2009 at 9:52 am (5 years ago)

I just found out they are building a Whole Foods about 1/2 hour from my house – so excited – definitely worth the trip – thanks for letting us know about the free classes there – I had no idea!

15 October, 2009 at 9:57 am (5 years ago)

sounds like a fun workout! I’ll check my local WF. :)

6. brandi
    15 October, 2009 at 10:28 am (5 years ago)

i’ve never heard of this, but it sounds intense! I wish we had a Whole Foods….ah, someday :)

7. Holly
    15 October, 2009 at 10:55 am (5 years ago)

ohhh i have never heard of this, but i am intrigued. my arms are notoriously week and i would LOVE to build muscle. i will be reading to see how this turns out!

8. Rach
    15 October, 2009 at 11:42 am (5 years ago)

Would love to hear the not wanting to gain muscle story, sometime …

15 October, 2009 at 12:23 pm (5 years ago)

You took this class at Whole Foods? So cool. I wonder if my Whole Foods offers classes like this? I’m a big fan of Tabata Intervals. They are my go-to workout on our stationary bike if I’m not feeling yoga, or if I can’t walk outside due to rain.

10. Jill
    15 October, 2009 at 2:00 pm (5 years ago)

Yes~ my quads are killing me today. Stairs are not my friend…ouch :)

11. Tra
    15 October, 2009 at 4:39 pm (5 years ago)

love crossfit/tabata. i do it on the treadmill- 12 incline, 7.2 mph 20 sec on 10 of.

pushup one is SOO much fun

12. Andrea@WellnessNotes
    15 October, 2009 at 4:49 pm (5 years ago)

The classes sound interesting. I had no idea WF was offering these… Plus, I had totally forgotten about all the free cooking demos/classes… I just checked out the calendar; it’s amazing! Thanks for sharing, Maggie! :)

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Getting Fit with Tabata and Crossfit

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619