Viva la VIA

I have never been a coffee person. I do not own a coffee machine, and I never saw the appeal of choking down the dark chestnut colored concoction anyway. I thought it was bitter. Tea always won out. Until now. Until Starbucks VIA. Disclaimer: Starbucks did not ask me to write this, I just happen to love it and I want to share my new find .

columbia via Viva la VIA

Bobby tried VIA last week in some kind of taste test, and he said it was really good. He’s not really a coffee person, so I thought he might be on to something. I picked up a pack of 12 instant coffees in the Columbia flavor. I think it was $9.95 for the pack? That’s a decent price for coffee that tastes great, in my opinion. It’s less than $1 a cup. It’s simple to make; you just pour hot water over the coffee and stir. They have another flavor, the Italian Roast, which is stronger.

To offset my new bad habit (coffee), I went for an old healthy classic: a macrobiotic breakfast. This oat bran was cooked with flax seeds, a little bit of unsweetened shredded coconut (not macrobiotic), soy and rice protein powder, and a dash of sea salt. I froze it for about 10-15 minutes before eating. I also made miso soup with water, seaweed, and miso.

Viva la VIA

On today’s list of things to do is a walk to clear my head (airlines suck and make me pissed), some moving prep (I’ve already sold our dresser and night stands), and kabocha. I haven’t had kabocha in a while and I miss it. Bobby is at his computer class all day so I’m on my own.

What are you up to this weekend?

19 Comments on Viva la VIA

17 October, 2009 at 1:39 pm (5 years ago)

welcome to the coffee fans club! It’s about time… hahaha…. :D I need to try that VIA coffee!
    it’s rainy here, so boring! Just woke up from a nap! :)

2. Lindsey @ Sound Eats
    17 October, 2009 at 2:04 pm (5 years ago)

I recently just tried the VIA coffee, too, and was surprised that I liked it! (I have never liked coffee and don’t own a coffee maker). Now I’m thinking of checking out Ross and Marshalls to see if I can find a French press!

17 October, 2009 at 2:07 pm (5 years ago)

Definitely take some “me time” and clear your thoughts – stay positive! :)

This weekend = studying, as always.

4. Bekah
    17 October, 2009 at 2:13 pm (5 years ago)

Not a coffee fan?! I haven’t met a cup of joe i haven’t slurped down and filled for seconds. :/ bad habit… more like, bad, necessity. freezing oat bran? mm i will have to try that.

this weekend i’m going home! i’ve been interning in tx, and i had the opportunity to drive back to az. and i took it. i was not enjoying my life here, so i’m heading HOME! thats the short version of what my weekend looks like anyway.

5. Jill
    17 October, 2009 at 2:26 pm (5 years ago)

Glad you have come over to the “dark” side. If ya try french pressed coffee, your life will be changed forever.

6. Susan
    17 October, 2009 at 2:35 pm (5 years ago)

I actually haven’t tried the Via as straight up coffee yet – I’ve just been adding it to my oats! You know, I bought miso a long time ago to have with breakfast, and I still haven’t cracked it open. I should do that!

17 October, 2009 at 3:22 pm (5 years ago)

My fiacne (now husband) is to blame for my coffee habit. Never really drank it regularly until I moved in with him. It’s not about the caffeine for me, but more about that morning ritual of a hot creamy beverage. I love it, and I also love quaint little coffee shops. It’s such a fun habit – don’t know why I think I need to always cut it out of my life.

Now you can make the kabocha butter. ;)

8. Kimberly
    17 October, 2009 at 4:31 pm (5 years ago)

oh cool! When will you arrive in NYC? I’m from this part of town!

9. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)
    17 October, 2009 at 5:54 pm (5 years ago)

Ok so I love coffee unabashedly admit it is my one and only vice these days. I have heard mostly bad things bout Via so I am glad you wrote something good about it! I will try it someday I am sure but it’s nice to know you found something you like and works for you! Woo hoo!

10. theantijared
    17 October, 2009 at 6:04 pm (5 years ago)

I got the VIA as well.

I went to get a coffee and the Starbucks person told me that they would buy my coffee if I bought a 12 pack of VIA.

It is still in my car.

11. Christina
    17 October, 2009 at 6:09 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve tried the VIA before, too. I think Starbucks always tastes burnt and bitter and to me the VIA had a little bit of that. It must just be the way they roast their beans! But I was impressed that it was rich and not like an instant coffee.

12. Anne K.
    17 October, 2009 at 7:25 pm (5 years ago)

I actually really like Via! It’s definitely not weak like most instant coffees. I like making Via iced coffees :)

13. MarathonVal
    17 October, 2009 at 9:49 pm (5 years ago)

You would be happy to know that I finally joined the kabocha club tonight! I had it at a restaurant tonight…. love love love it!!

17 October, 2009 at 11:21 pm (5 years ago)

UH OH…I am a coffee addict (but it’s ONE a DAY so not too bad)
    but I love me a cup o joe in the morning!
    I am finally doing some catching up blog reading!

Happy Saturday!

15. Neela Marijana
    18 October, 2009 at 2:30 am (5 years ago)

hmm the coffee sounds good, and surely much easier to prepare than the one from coffee mashines.
    i had a shopping weekend so far. my wallet is not happy though ;)
    hope you have a good one

16. Dori
    18 October, 2009 at 8:06 am (5 years ago)

When you move here I want you to make me breakfast! I recently “quit” coffee, meaning I only have it when I really want it, not every day. Via is a very good choice!

17. Pure2Raw Twins
    18 October, 2009 at 8:40 am (5 years ago)

I have stopped drinking coffee. I must say it was one of the hardest things I have done. Your miso soup sounds yummy. Hope you have time to relax and clear your mind. I take walks too, they always seem to do the trick.

18. Marina
    18 October, 2009 at 8:49 am (5 years ago)

I’m studying, at least I try to. And I’m trying to get rid of this cough by resting.I love coffee, but I sometimes have some “coffeeless” periods. I just listen when my body wants it, and when not.

19. Emily
    18 October, 2009 at 11:30 am (5 years ago)

I’m curious to try the via. I have heard good things, but I have trouble imagining a good cup of instant coffee!

good luck with the move! how exciting. and way to manage the stress with a head-clearing walk. I know from cross-country moves; they’re certainly not easy, but you’ll make it! :)