Shake it like a salt shaker

Bobby and I went out to Cheesecake Factory last night. I got what I always get – the Fresh Vegetable Salad – Asparagus, Green Beans, Tomato, Cucumber, Roasted Beets, Apple, Edamame, Radicchio, Romaine and White Cheddar. I actually switched out the cheddar for parmesan (duh) and I went with the sesame soy dressing.

Shake it like a salt shaker

The salad is an appetizer salad, but it is huge. I would call it a full meal. Of course I also helped Bobby with this (Shrimp with Angel Hair: Large Shrimp Sautéed with Herbs, Lemon and Garlic Combined with Angel Hair Pasta, Tomato and Fresh Basil)…

Shake it like a salt shaker

The shrimp were fantastic. The angel hair was just okay – I’m not really a pasta person. I nabbed some of his Small Salad (Chopped greens with shredded carrots, zucchini, and beets. Topped with croutons, tomato wedges and cucumber slices). Tossed in sesame soy dressing (my suggestion).

Shake it like a salt shaker

Let’s not forget the brown bread. I had most of this with butter.

Shake it like a salt shaker

And we got this Pomegranate Mojito too – Mount Gay and Bacardi Superior with Pomegranate Finished with a Float of 10 Cane Rum. Bobby gets tipsy easily and was very giggly by the end of dinner. I can hold my liquor even though I almost never drink icon wink Shake it like a salt shaker

Shake it like a salt shaker

We didn’t get dessert at the restaurant, but you can bet that I had a huge bowl of steamed kabocha when I got home. It was super ripe and delicious. I also had a persimmon that I picked up yesterday. Persimmons are definitely my favorite fruit; I hope they are as cheap in NYC as they are here. (Ha. No way.)

When we were seated at the restaurant we were also presented with a Nutrition Guide. It listed the approximate calories and nutrients for each dish. It actually did affect my decision – I was in the mood for the Asian Chicken Salad, but after seeing that it had 2600 mg of sodium, I decided to pass. Sodium is very necessary and certainly good in moderation, but 2600 mg in one dish? I think that’s a little bit ridiculous. I couldn’t even figure out where it was coming from (not from the dressing – I looked that up). I tend to get a lot of sodium already because I put salt in everything – it’s the most important ingredient when I make oat bran. The average recommended intake for sodium is between 1500-2400 mg per day for the average adult.

What do you think about restaurants giving out nutritional information? Would it affect what you order?

18 Comments on Shake it like a salt shaker

1. Mama Pea
    18 October, 2009 at 2:41 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve never been to Cheesecake Factory, but I’m relieved to know that they do give you the nutrition info. I just think that a lot of times even if you are making a pretty conscious choice there are hidden things (like the sodium in your dressing) that you would just have NO idea about.

I think it’s so cute that Bobby got giggly after 1/2 a drink. My guy’s the same way :)

2. Christina
    18 October, 2009 at 3:02 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve eaten at Cheesecake Factory twice and it is soo yummy!

I think it might affect my decision if I saw something shocking like that high salt content. Otherwise, I think I wouldn’t be affected if it were a lot of fat or calories. We rarely eat out, especially at sit down restaurants, so I feel like I can treat myself and splurge a bit there! :)

3. Elizabeth (The Dallas Celiac)
    18 October, 2009 at 3:40 pm (5 years ago)

The salad looks great!

Having nutritional info would affect what I order about 90% of the time. Most of the time, I try to eat well, but sometimes, even knowing how bad for me that piece of cake is isn’t going to stop me from wanting to eat it. I think nutritional info available will help people make better decisions most of the time.

18 October, 2009 at 3:47 pm (5 years ago)

No cheesecake?!?!??! Shaaaaaame ;)

5. leslie
    18 October, 2009 at 3:58 pm (5 years ago)

i’ve got try parmesan on a salad – smart idea. :) that’s interesting that they actually handed you the nutritional info. i think it depends on the restaurant when it comes to that – for chains, i think i’d like it, just because there are so many dishes that seem healthy on the menu, until you see the nutritional stats. but at a more local, fresh restaurant, it would distract me from just enjoying the food.

ps: when are you moving out here? we’ll have to meet up! :)

6. Dori
    18 October, 2009 at 3:59 pm (5 years ago)

I love persimmons too! Just got a great one the other day. I also love the Cheesecake Factory. My old favorite was the Cobb Salad. It was amazing. Knowing nutritional information definitely affects my decision on what to order, and I would much rather know that not know.

I am not a salt person at all, I have never added it to anything in my life!

7. Biz
    18 October, 2009 at 4:16 pm (5 years ago)

I haven’t been to Cheesecake Factory in ages! That is a giant salad for an appetizer!

And your drink looks so pretty!

I think its awesome that they give out nutritional info!!

8. Andrea@WellnessNotes
    18 October, 2009 at 4:20 pm (5 years ago)

I think getting the nutritional info of dishes is great. So often it’s really impossible to know what’s in a dish just by reading the description. I have gallstones and have to be very careful with fat or I end up in the E.R., so knowing how much fat is an seemingly “innocent” dish is crucial. Also, the amount of salt in the salt you didn’t get is just crazy…

I love persimmons too! :)

9. insideiamdancing
    18 October, 2009 at 4:21 pm (5 years ago)

There was an article I read today about nutritional info affecting choices, but nowhere near as much as they expected (hoped for!). I am in NY so it’s hard to ignore, but admittedly I don’t pay much attention to sodium… I used to avoid it like the plague and now don’t like things that taste salty, so figure I don’t need to worry too much. Nutritionals on menus don’t really affect my order- I don’t eat at chain restaurants much, and have always looked up the info online beforehand so it’s neither here nor there for me. The prices on the menu, however… ;)

10. theskinnyplate
    18 October, 2009 at 5:30 pm (5 years ago)

Having the nutritional information would really affect how I order although I am pretty sure they won’t be accurate. You can’t really expect them to measure everything out for every single dish.

11. Jil
    18 October, 2009 at 5:49 pm (5 years ago)

I love when they give you the nutrition facts for meals. Sometimes it absolutely astounds me as to what dishes are actually the worst for you — and then at the same time…how the heck can these restaurants get away with the amount of calories that they are putting on some plates. It gets kind ridiiiculous! haha Your food looked sooo good though!!!

12. Lynn (The Actors Diet)
    18 October, 2009 at 5:57 pm (5 years ago)

their portions are so ginormous there. i love that brown bread too…

13. JavaChick
    18 October, 2009 at 5:57 pm (5 years ago)

I think handing out the Nutrition Info is a good idea – I like to know what I’m getting.

14. carolinebee
    18 October, 2009 at 5:59 pm (5 years ago)

I love CF and their crazy ridic amount of food and brown bread and desserts :D All good for sharing! I appreciate the nutrition info but it’s annoying that none of it is very healthy! I can’t wait to hear the deets of your East Coast move, yayy!!

15. glidingcalm
    18 October, 2009 at 8:40 pm (5 years ago)

HAHA! Shake it like a salt shaker! I love it, Maggie!! I really like it when restaurants share the nutrition information. It is so hard to know sometimes what is actually IN the dish- how much oil, salt, sugar, etc.

Also love that you subbed parm for the cheddar!! Good call!! Now I know what to get at the Cheesecake Factory!!!

WISHING YOU A BEAUTIFUL MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!

16. clare
    18 October, 2009 at 8:45 pm (5 years ago)

wish they had their nutrition on the website. looks yum maggie!

17. Lara (Thinspired)
    19 October, 2009 at 1:41 am (5 years ago)

I haven’t visited the Cheesecake Factory since they started giving out the nutrition info, but I think it’s a GREAT idea and have always supported it. It definitely affects what I order (most of the time I have to research ahead of time), so I love that they are giving it out now!
    Looks like you both had a great dinner…except..no cheesecake?! ;)

18. Kasey @ Fit For Wellness
    19 October, 2009 at 3:35 pm (5 years ago)

I think receiving nutritional information is great… that way you can make an informed decision instead of just guessing at which entree is a healthier choice. That drink sounds tasty :)