I mentioned last night that I’m reading Diane von Furstenberg’s Book of Beauty. She has a quick (15-25 minutes, depending on what you do) exercise routine to start your day (or end it?) and I’ve done it twice so far. I did it last night (Sunday) and this morning (Monday). I hope to do it again tonight (Monday), because it’s fun and simple.
Diane has some great advice in her book. I bought this cute dress from Target today ($29.99) because of what she said. Jill and I had a girl-date and we went to Target and Whole Foods (mmm… more on that later).
Cute button detail.
Me playing around.
I’ve made some changes to Diane’s exercise routine, so I’m just going to write out what I would do. Maybe later this week I’ll do demo pics.
Begin standing, hands at your sides.
- Arm Stretch: Inhale the right arm up and stretch to the left. Exhale the arm down. Repeat on the left (inhale the arm up, stretch right, exhale down). Repeat 5 times on each side.
- Rolldown: drop your head, then fold down to a forward fold. Inhale to a flat back (like in yoga), exhale down again. Roll all the way back up. Repeat 2-10 times. (I do 10.)
- Breathing: lie down on the floor with your knees bent. Inhale thru the nose and exhale thru the mouth with your hands on your ribcage. Repeat 5 times.
- Leg stretch: stretch out your legs. Hug your right leg to your chest, then put it back on the floor. Repeat with your left leg. Do this 5 times on each side.
- Rolling like a ball: hug your knees and roll side to side and up and down.
- Leg cross: put your arms out in a T. Bring your right knee to your chest; drop it to the left and look right. Bring it back and place it back to the floor. Repeat on the left. Do this 5 times on each side.
- Leg cross 2: same position as #6. Instead of dropping your knee to the opposite side, drop it to the same side (right leg drops right). Repeat on the left and do this 5 times on each side.
- Bicycle: hands stretched out over your head, knees bent with feet on the floor. Bring your right knee to your chest and straighten it up, lower it down. Repeat 10 times and then do the left. You can do it backwards another 10 times too!
- Bicycle crunches: do 40 bicycle crunches (20 on each side, alternating).
- Bridge: do “bridge pose” (from yoga). Exhale, lifting your hips to the ceiling; inhale down. Repeat 5 times with the breath.
- Leg kicks and circles: lie on your right side. Do 10 kicks (leg lifts) and 10 small circles. Repeat on the left side.
- Arm stretch 2: sit cross-legged. Inhale the right arm up, stretch to the left. Exhale back down. Repeat on the left. Do this 5 times on each side.
- All fours: get down on all fours. Straighten your right leg behind you, toe pointed. Flex your foot as you bend your leg, keeping your thigh parallel to the ground. Straighten and point. Repeat 10 times, then do the left side. You can do leg lifts from this position too (good for the butt).
- Child’s pose: roll down to child’s pose and rest for a few seconds. Roll up to sitting.
You should feel relaxed and ready to start the day. You can actually pick and choose some of these exercises to do while watching TV, reading, talking on the phone, etc… I like them a lot because they’re not intense and you can fit them in throughout your whole day. I plan on doing some more tonight while I watch TV.
This routine took me about 25 minutes this morning; I think I might have done some extra reps so it might normally be shorter. The routine reminds me of when I was doing a yoga flow every morning. Not the same movements, but they are both relaxing and stimulating at the same time.
What’s your exercise routine like? Do you do the same thing every day or do you switch it up?