Day With Dad

My dad is here! He just fell asleep on the couch (it’s 12:15am his time – EST). We watched the end of the Yankees game (boo Angels) and now I’m watching The Office. The game was a little nutso. I hope the Yankees win the next game in the playoffs. (Who are you rooting for?)

Today’s breakfast was simple – oat bran, protein powder, lots of cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Topped with fresh maple syrup. This stuff rocks. You can still get it on sale at Amazon – $26 for 2 big jugs. Check out Alisa’s blog for the deets. The background of papers is the result of me studying for my anthropology midterm.

Day With Dad

Dad got here late in the afternoon, and we hit up Whole Foods before going out to dinner. We got some yummy appetizers: big local globe grapes…

Day With Dad

And Jarlsburg cheese (swiss) with organic water crackers. Dad also got this kinda cool Spicy Pumpkin Ale. I don’t usually like beer, but it was decent.

Day With Dad

We went to Sweet Tomatoes for dinner. It’s that awesome salad/soup/dinner buffet. I forgot the camera, so no pictures. My eats were pretty standard – 2 humongous salads (mostly raw), some lentil and ham soup, and frozen yogurt with cookies for dessert.

I’m really glad my dad is here. We’re going to do some sightseeing and he’s going to help us get ready to move. I can’t believe I’m moving back to the east coast in just a few weeks. I’m incredibly happy about it. I’m going to be so much closer to my family, and it’ll be really easy to visit Bobby’s family too (just a 2.5 hour plane ride, and in the same time zone).

What do you do with your parents when they visit?

23 Comments on Day With Dad

1. Mama Pea
    22 October, 2009 at 9:53 pm (5 years ago)

Sweet Tomatoes!!! Oh yeah, baby.

I like my parents to do stuff for me when they visit…it makes them feel loved :)

2. Christina
    22 October, 2009 at 10:16 pm (5 years ago)

My mom is total Type A, so she usually has the whole thing planned out for her own visit and I just get “updated.” haha I don’t mind though, takes a lot of the pressure off of me!

3. Jill
    22 October, 2009 at 10:21 pm (5 years ago)

I like to take them around and show them the sights. Oh, and I let them cook for me :) Mine will be here tomorrow! Woot, woot.

4. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)
    22 October, 2009 at 10:23 pm (5 years ago)

when my parents visit, I usually have so many activites lined up b/c they just cannot sit still….we are currently not on speaking terms so i dont need to worry…for now. Have fun with yours!

5. lexi.
    23 October, 2009 at 2:25 am (5 years ago)

so glad you’re having a good time with your dad. I just found your blog and plan to keep reading! great eats! :)

6. Susan
    23 October, 2009 at 3:33 am (5 years ago)

I get my parents to take me grocery shopping :P

Ha, we usually go out to eat. I live in a really pretty spot, so they always insist on lots of walks along the river!

23 October, 2009 at 5:07 am (5 years ago)

Aww yay! Love father/daughter time :)

8. Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries
    23 October, 2009 at 5:27 am (5 years ago)

Eating is ALWAYS involved–usually because are visiting a new place and are a family of cuisine-curious foodies :) Glad you’re having fun with your dad!

9. Abby
    23 October, 2009 at 5:46 am (5 years ago)

I’m not sure what brought you to the west coast, but I think it’s great you’re heading back east and will be by your families! Exciting! And I only live a few miles from my mom, so nothing exciting happens when we visit.

Have so much fun with your dad and enjoy the father/daughter/Whole Foods bonding :)

10. Justine
    23 October, 2009 at 6:04 am (5 years ago)

Have a great weekend with your dad!!

~Justine

11. Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats)
    23 October, 2009 at 6:19 am (5 years ago)

Your oats looks delish!!

I love when my parents visit.. we always go out to eat and shop :)

12. Devan Newman
    23 October, 2009 at 8:40 am (5 years ago)

I love it when my family comes to visit!

We generally do dinner or lunch! :)
    ( i recently introduced them to Whole Foods.. they love it!!)

also movies or shopping too!

13. Bekah
    23 October, 2009 at 9:22 am (5 years ago)

Mmm I had oat bran for breakfast this morning too! For the first time actually, and loved it.

When I visit with my fam, we usually do a lot of fitness activities, like hiking, or working out together, and lots of breakfast and dinner trips out, as well as going to the movies. It’s always fun!

14. Whitney @ Lettuce Love
    23 October, 2009 at 10:53 am (5 years ago)

When my parents visit we always eating like crazy. They are huge foodies (which is why I am one, I guess) and we plan our day around new and different restaurants.

23 October, 2009 at 11:49 am (5 years ago)

My mom and I have a bad shopping habit when we get together, but we always have so much fun. Enjoy your time with your Dad Maggie!

P.S. I love Sweet Tomatoes. Nashville doesn’t have one. :(

16. brandi
    23 October, 2009 at 12:29 pm (5 years ago)

how fun :)

we eat and shop! Hoping to do a lot of that this weekend, actually ;)

17. Emily
    23 October, 2009 at 12:54 pm (5 years ago)

I shop with my mom and graciously let my dad cook for me :)

go Yankees!!

18. carolinebee
    23 October, 2009 at 2:49 pm (5 years ago)

HA i don’t even know, since my mom’s first visit is next week! I am soooo excited and plan on lots of shopping + eating :D So nice that you’ll be close to fam!

19. linda
    23 October, 2009 at 4:09 pm (5 years ago)

Is oat bran a type of flour for making the pancake? And did you mix-in the protein powder into the pancake mixture?

20. Dad
    23 October, 2009 at 6:15 pm (5 years ago)

Well, I’m rooting for the Yankees, and if they win it will be interesting because I like the Phillies too. It’s great to be here and the Redwoods were really cool (sneak preview of Maggie’s next post, probably).

21. Andrea@WellnessNotes
    23 October, 2009 at 7:20 pm (5 years ago)

Have a great time with your dad! I just love to do anything with my parents when they come to visit. I have been living in the Bay Area for 18 years, so the first couple of years we did a lot of sight seeing. Not so much anymore. My mom always loves going to Whole Foods with me…

22. Lara (Thinspired)
    24 October, 2009 at 5:08 am (5 years ago)

I love this :) My dad and I always go to Sweet Tomatoes (that’s the same as Souplantation, right?) when we are together too! It’s a place where we can both eat happy :) And going to Monterey is totally something we would do together as well. I’m living vicariously through you!
    Hope you have a great weekend together, Maggie!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Day With Dad