Monterey & Redwoods

My dad and I started out the day with almost matching bowls of protein powder oat bran.

Monterey & Redwoods  Monterey & Redwoods

Dad’s was topped with granola and maple syrup; mine with sesame seeds and maple syrup. (My dad did the Amazon deal already – what are you waiting for?) He wasn’t too impressed with oat bran, but he did admit that it was a brick-in-the-belly breakfast.

After packing some snacks (bars and fruit) we headed down to Monterey. We wandered around Cannery Row and Fisherman’s wharf…

07 me dad monterey Monterey & Redwoods

Then we headed out to a park in Monterey for a short (but hilly) hike. We hit up Trader Joe’s for lunch before proceeding on to another state park on the way home – Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park. This place was amazing. This tree was around before Jesus was even born. It was 2200+ years old when it fell back in 1934 and had been around for the signing of the Magna Carta, the Revolutionary War, and even when the Normans conquered England (1066).

06 jesus tree Monterey & Redwoods

These trees are huge.

05 me tree Monterey & Redwoods08 dad tree Monterey & Redwoods

As is this "banana slug".

04 banana slug1 Monterey & Redwoods

When we got home it was time for drinks. I had a glass of wine – Murphy Goode’s Fume – and dad had more beers. I cooked up a quick and easy frittata for dinner using 6 eggs, zucchini, red pepper, red onion, and goat + parmesan cheeses.

Monterey & Redwoods

On the side I made broiled tomatoes (idea from Whole Foods) – tomatoes cut in half, topped with olive oil, salt + pepper, oregano, and parmesan; bake at 400F for 10 minutes; broil for another 5.

11 tomatoes Monterey & Redwoods

And because I can’t go another night without kabocha, I made a big batch and ate it all myself.

Monterey & Redwoods

I’m now munching on grapes and cursing Qumana for deleting the post that I just wrote (it looked pretty much the same as this one – I hope, anyway). Now I have to study like a mad woman for my anthropology midterm tomorrow.

Are you good at studying/preparing in advance for tests/whatever? Or do you procrastinate? For me it all depends on my other time commitments, my mood, and the class/work itself.

17 Comments on Monterey & Redwoods

1. Mama Pea
    23 October, 2009 at 10:40 pm (5 years ago)

Your kabocha looks so good, and its only been 3 hours since I had some :)

Your dad is TALL! I’m so glad you guys are enjoying your time together.

2. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)
    23 October, 2009 at 10:45 pm (5 years ago)

Love the pic in front of the tree of you and the tomatoes I do the same things sans cheese when I had a CSA share and was getting like 40 toms a week!

Quamana…used it once, it ate my post. Never again. I feel your pain :)

3. Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15)
    23 October, 2009 at 11:05 pm (5 years ago)

Oooh, I LOVE putting protein powder in my oats and oat bran! Chocolate protein powder is especially tasty.

4. Christina
    23 October, 2009 at 11:51 pm (5 years ago)

I’m jealous of your long, skinny legs!! haha want to trade?!

Those trees are so beautiful and magnificant! I love when they tell you how old they are. There’s one at a state park by our house that has a little timeline that points to certain rings and approximates what was going on then, historically. It’s crazy to look at a tree and think that it was standing there beautiful and tall through all those world events!!! Sounds silly, but when I find an old coin I think the same thing — like “wow, this penny is older than my mom!!” haha

I just answered the procrastination question on Sophia’s blog! You guys are like-minded tonight! :) Must be mid-terms on the brain! I usually “trick” myself that the due date is sooner, so even if I procrastinate, it’s still done a few days early realistically.

5. sophia
    24 October, 2009 at 12:03 am (5 years ago)

Wow. This is creepy. Weboth asked the same questions on our blog. great minds think alike!!!

Such beautiful pictures! I don’t think I’ve ever seen your dad before. hello, Maggie’s dad! Thank you for giving us such a wonderful lady into this world!

6. April
    24 October, 2009 at 4:07 am (5 years ago)

Glad you had a great time with you dad. I second the long skinny legs…wow!

Love me some broiled tomatoes mmm…

24 October, 2009 at 4:11 am (5 years ago)

Awesome father/daughter time!!

I just sit down and study – gotta get it done :-D

24 October, 2009 at 4:39 am (5 years ago)

so glad that you’re having good time with your Dad. He’s sooooo tall!!! :D
    good luck with the exam today.. I usually study a week in advance so the day before exam I just relax! :)

9. Annie
    24 October, 2009 at 7:05 am (5 years ago)

Ive been to those redwoods! and Monterey! Glad you had fun, I thought it was amazing.

10. Emily
    24 October, 2009 at 8:39 am (5 years ago)

I used to live in Monterey, but haven’t been back in years! so pretty there.

procrastination gives me mad anxiety! if I’m not a week ahead of schedule, I’m behind. it’s like reverse procrastination. or something :)

11. Alisa - Frugal Foodie
    24 October, 2009 at 1:34 pm (5 years ago)

So much fun with your dad! You are both so cute together and what fun outings. Now I miss my dad!

12. Marina
    24 October, 2009 at 1:55 pm (5 years ago)

The frittata and tomatoes look amazing! It seriously looks like something I’d order in a restaurant! :)

13. Bekah
    24 October, 2009 at 3:18 pm (5 years ago)

ah the frittata and baked tomatoes. totally doing that. now.
    and cute outfit. :)

14. glidingcalm
    24 October, 2009 at 8:24 pm (5 years ago)

yay for Daddy love!! that is such a fabulous picture!!!
    I am giving you a shout out in my next post!! :D

15. Erin @ Living and Loving In L.A.
    24 October, 2009 at 9:20 pm (5 years ago)

Great pictures! I cannot believe how big those trees are! HUGE! I need to get up there and see them for myself!
    Love the oatmeal. I need to try oat bran. I’m boring. I usually just make regular oats. Will try soon!!!

16. Andrea@WellnessNotes
    24 October, 2009 at 11:27 pm (5 years ago)

I love the pictures with your dad! The redwoods are so amazing…

I have found the older I get the more I procrastinate; it’s weird…

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Monterey & Redwoods