This is the other recipe that Jill and I got to try at the raw foods demo at Whole Foods. It was served with raw flax crackers (yum). You just need a good blender to make it (which I don’t have, but I will try with my food processor). The recipe is raw, vegan, and vegetarian.
Raw Zucchini Hummus
- 2 zucchini
- 3/4 cup tahini (raw)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil (cold pressed, if you want it to be truly raw)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2.5 teaspoons salt (I would cut down on this)
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
Chop the zucchini and blend everything in the blender. Add the lemon juice and garlic (and salt) a little bit at a time to get the flavor that you want.
I thought this was really yummy. I might use a little less garlic and salt. I few other substitution ideas might be…
- nut butter instead of tahini (like a yummy Thai peanut sauce)
- experiment with other oils – sesame oil would give it a nice Asian flavor
- other spices instead (or in addition to) cumin – chili powder, Asian 5-spice, cinnamon
- add in some herbs – oregano, basil, dill, etc…
- vinegar in place of lemon juice
- add some Bragg’s liquid aminos (cut out salt, cut down on lemon juice)
Of course you could do beans instead of the tahini, but then it would be a more standard hummus.
What’s your favorite hummus? I really like Tribe’s Olive Hummus. So good. I know Sabra is a popular one as well. I love putting hummus on crispy fruit like apples. I don’t know if that’s common or not…
HERE is my recipe for simple homemade hummus.