I’m Back On Track

A few of my favorite bloggers have recently committed to getting back on track. Caitlin declared the whole month of November as a time to get back on track; Angela is doing it for the first week of November, starting today (the 2nd). I’m feeling it too: I haven’t been doing that much yoga, I haven’t been walking as much as I like to, and, to be perfectly honest, I’ve been eating a lot of crap. I haven’t been practicing mindfulness either, and I find myself munching through the day instead of eating proper meals.

This challenge might be hard for a few reasons – 1) Bobby and I are driving across the country next week; 2) the holidays and lots of decadent foods are coming up; 3) due to the move, I don’t know what my new routine will be (we’re moving to Manhattan btw). But I’m going to try. I’m synthesizing their goals and mine, and this is what I came up with. I’m going to try to do this for as long as I can. These aren’t arbitrary; these goals are what my ideal lifestyle would be so I want to keep up with them.

1. Go to bed early (by 11:30pm) and get 7-8 hours of sleep a night.
  2. Cut out artificial sweeteners. I’ve been on a diet coke kick recently and it’s time to stop.
  3. More veggies, less fruit.
  4. More cooked foods, fewer raw.
  5. Lots of water and tea.
  6. Cook and plan more (or at least eat out at cheap-yet-healthy places).
  7. Sit down for every meal.
  8. Do something relaxing for 30 minutes every day (yoga, a bath, these exercises).
  9. 30+ minutes of cardio each day (walking, running, yoga).
  10. Give myself credit. Even if I don’t do all of these things perfectly, I’m going to give myself credit for the attempts and partial successes.

Because we’re moving, I’m trying to use up the groceries we have and I don’t plan on buying more. This week I’ll be eating out a lot but I’m not too worried about that; I love eating out and I can always find something healthy on the menu. The only thing that worries me about eating out is the money issue. I wish I was less frugal icon razz Im Back On Track

The other issue I might have is that this weekend is the Foodbuzz Blogger Festival. I plan on eating well, but I doubt that I’m going to get much sleep because two of my favorite bloggers are coming to stay with me and we’re all going together. I am so excited to meet them.

Some of the yummy dishes I plan on making and eating during this November challenge are…

a healthy Thanksgiving meal, like last year’s

3 my plate 300x225 Im Back On Track

fresh delicious salads

6 lotus shrimp pork salad 300x224 Im Back On Track

lots of squash fries…

6 butternut fries agave ketchup 300x224 Im Back On Track

this fun Indian mushroom recipe

8 mushroom corn salad 300x224 Im Back On Track

… and lots more. You should check out my recipes page for more inspiration. This bread recipe was one of the first things I ever posted (December 2007).

Im Back On Track

Anyway, back to the “back on track” plan. Today has been a good day so far. I did a yoga class this morning at my studio and I went to bed early last night (crashed on the couch at 9:30pm). I wanted to go to Sweet Tomatoes for dinner, but Bobby has band practice… so maybe not.

And now this post is getting epic. Happy November! Are you challenging yourself this month?

23 Comments on I’m Back On Track

2 November, 2009 at 6:30 pm (4 years ago)

nice challenge. I’ll join you when my mom leaves! with her with me I can’t do any food related challenge because I love her cooking and I enjoy all the snacks we munchie together! :D
    can’t wait to meet you!!!! it’s soooooooo close!

2. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)
    2 November, 2009 at 6:55 pm (4 years ago)

I need #’s 1 & 8. More sleep, more relaxing time. love the list!

3. Kimberly
    2 November, 2009 at 7:12 pm (4 years ago)

Wow, you’re driving across the country? Guess you’re not taking much luggages then. :)

It’s good to make a list. Good luck!

4. Corinne
    2 November, 2009 at 7:16 pm (4 years ago)

Maggie!

Love your 10 getting “on track” goals. EVERYONE needs to make their own list:)

And, I must say that I adore the looks of your shrimp salad! I’ll have to mix that up someday soon!

Enjoy the FoodBuzz Fest!!! Wish I could go! Next year, next year!

xx Corinne

5. Jess
    2 November, 2009 at 7:33 pm (4 years ago)

Great goals! I think we should all check up on ourselves every once in a while! I especially love number 8 :)

Mmmm…shrimp <3

<3 jess
    xoxo

6. Bekah
    2 November, 2009 at 7:36 pm (4 years ago)

it’s funny how many bloggers have made november like “get fitter” month. i love it. i signed on for the “pile on the miles” that bobbi/caitlyn are doing. so thats my november challenge. i also signed up for a couple races (which i’ve never done before) to keep me more active than my normal routine.

number 7- bethenny frankel always said in her book, never eat something when standing/in the kitchen/in the fridge. that’s a toughie for me. i munch on little things, on top of eating my meals sitting down. if i can’t sit down to eat something, why am i eating it in the first place??… i’m writing this down on a list after i post this comment. :)

7. kissmo
    2 November, 2009 at 7:39 pm (4 years ago)

I always love salads…..Good and tasty,,They are always in my list..

8. Christina
    2 November, 2009 at 7:50 pm (4 years ago)

I do feel a giant urge lately to get back on track. I am in that slump of really low energy, though, so I need to work myself up first w/ motivation until the natural energy of healthy mind/body kicks in again.

Planning ahead can REALLY help on the long car ride. I’ve had many, many long 3 day car trips alone the past 3 or 4 years and it really helps to sit down a few days ahead and think of what you’re going to be in the mood for. Get a small cooler and pack healthy snacks and meals. TJs has some great ready-meals and if you like tuna fish, they have those vacuum packs w/ crackers. Then tons of fruits and veggies to munch and water. It also ends up being so much cheaper than fast food, gas station treats, and roadside diners.

I’m sooo jealous you get to meet Sophia! I hope you guys have a blast at FoodBuzz, can’t wait to see the recap!

Good luck in packing and moving!!!

9. Lynn (The Actors Diet)
    2 November, 2009 at 8:21 pm (4 years ago)

you’ll be “back on track” before you know it….

10. Hil
    2 November, 2009 at 9:20 pm (4 years ago)

Sounds like a great list. I’m working on a very similar list, as well. I especially love the last item on your list–its really easy to forget to give ourselves credit for our efforts, and I think its so important. I will try to be better at that. :-)

11. Mama Pea
    2 November, 2009 at 11:26 pm (4 years ago)

“More cooked foods, less raw.” Why did this make me happy? I don’t know, but it did.

Hey, I think you should definitely give yourself credit. Even though you make think you’ve been eating “crap” I am just proud of you for maintaining all the progress you’ve made and eating really balanced!

I’ll totally support you in any way I can!!!

12. Lara (Thinspired)
    3 November, 2009 at 3:19 am (4 years ago)

I am definitely feeling the “back on track,” love in the air. I am defintiely up for it and, besides the 1st, am off to a good start! ;)

And I agree with Mama Pea–I am sure even your “crap” is still pretty healthy! You are beautiful and inspiring with your eats!

Happy November, Mags!

13. Pam
    3 November, 2009 at 6:26 am (4 years ago)

Hope your move and getting back on track goes smoothly!

Enjoy!

14. Abby
    3 November, 2009 at 6:45 am (4 years ago)

Great plan and I’m so jealous you get to meet Sophia and go to the festival! I look forward to living vicariously through you in the next couple of weeks :)

As for your goals, they all sound great. I just want to say that even though you feel like you’ve been eating more “crap,” it’s still healthy and I love the healthy outlook you’re radiating towards food. I don’t know if it’s something you’re just writing or if you’re really getting to a comfortable place with it, but I notice a big (positive) change.

As for my month, every day is a challenge!

15. Kimberly@Living Free
    3 November, 2009 at 7:29 am (4 years ago)

I have been feeling the need to get back on track too! My goal is getting off of sugar-which I have been craving like crazy lately! I am also adding more cardio to my routine. I have been doing a lot of yoga but pretty much no cardio. Started walking/running last week.

Hope your move goes well:)

16. Tina
    3 November, 2009 at 9:14 am (4 years ago)

Number 1 is definitely number 1 on my list too! I have underestimated the importance of sleep and I’m paying for it! This months challenge for me is more mental than physical (which is a big challenge in and of itself): I’m going to be satisfied with myself and my achievements, relax and go with the flow.
    xx

3 November, 2009 at 9:20 am (4 years ago)

Love your challenges Maggie. I’ve had the hardest time fitting in workouts these days…I just need to do them first thing in the morning, like I used to. That shall be my goal for the month.

So wish I could be with you guys in San Fran this weekend! :(

18. Luc
    3 November, 2009 at 10:00 am (4 years ago)

I’m in!

I love your goals — I’m adding to my personal list more consistent runs, and walks on my active rest days. I’m also beginning to explore yoga (in large part thanks to your blog!), so I started today with an hour workout with Sadie Nardini (I just love her).

November is so often thought of as a kind of dreery, darkening month — I’m going to meditate on how November asks us to turn inward, going inside, and doing the work we need to do there in preparation for winter.

Thanks for this bell of mindfulness!

ps — can you say a little about your “more cooked, less raw” rule? I’d love to know the reasoning behind that — on many blogs you see the opposite resolve! Thanks very much for this post.

19. carolinebee
    3 November, 2009 at 10:44 am (4 years ago)

Good luck maggie, great goals!!! That cross country trip sounds soooo fun!

3 November, 2009 at 2:41 pm (4 years ago)

Me love a challenge!
    I love your November back on track challenge.

LOVE IT
    yes…I too am trying to end 09 with a victory lap!
    still rolling up my sleeves and buckling down.

it feels so good!
    good for you!!!!

21. glidingcalm
    3 November, 2009 at 3:19 pm (4 years ago)

beautiful food and great goals!!!
    you are inspiring!!!

happy day Maggie!!!
    Did you get my Halloween card, btW?

22. Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama
    3 November, 2009 at 7:34 pm (4 years ago)

That looks like Challah bread! I made it for Marc’s grandparents before and it turned out do good!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on I’m Back On Track

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619