Oh my Mighty Tasty!

Yesterday Bobby and I went to Whole Foods to pick up a few things for our road trip and a few things to eat until we leave. We’re out of grits and oat bran, which is a little tragic. We decided to try a new cereal that both of us would like. We settled on Bob’s Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal. This makes a delicious breakfast.

Oh my Mighty Tasty!

The nutritional info (in 1/4 cup serving): 150 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 31 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fiber, 4 grams protein. The cereal is wheat-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free. Ingredients: whole grain brown rice, corn, white sorghum, buckwheat.

Neither of us have food allergies, but we love trying specialty foods. We’re both a little lactose intolerant, but we kind of ignore it. I love trying all kinds of foods though, and gluten free products are usually mighty tasty. This cereal is made of brown rice, corn, sorghum (?), and buckwheat.

It was great mighty tasty. I made 2 bowls of it this morning. I soaked each serving in water before cooking. I didn’t drain them; I just added the soaking cereal to boiling water. Bobby’s bowl was savory:

04 bobby savory cereal Oh my Mighty Tasty!

• 1/4 cup cereal soaked in 1/2 cup water + another boiling 1/2 cup water
  • dash of salt
  • 1/2 shredded string cheese
  • 11 sauteed shrimp (olive oil, garlic powder, chili powder, sesame seeds)

My bowl was sweet:

Oh my Mighty Tasty!

• 1/4 cup cereal soaked in 1/2 cup water + another boiling 1 cup water
  • dash of salt
  • 1/2 of a wallaby organic raspberry yogurt
  • a few handfuls of nature’s path smart bran
  • sesame seeds
  • maple syrup (unpictured; added later)

You boil water and add the cereal. Then turn the heat to low and cook it (covered) for 5-10 minutes or until it’s the right consistency for you. You have to stir it occasionally. The more water you use, the bigger the cereal will be. Bobby doesn’t like volume foods for breakfast so I didn’t use as much water for his. I used lots of water for mine.

Mm, mm… mighty tasty. I feel like there might be this whole new world out there of amazing hot cereals that I didn’t even know existed. My staples have always been oat bran, oatmeal, and grits. What should I try next?

18 Comments on Oh my Mighty Tasty!

1. Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama
    4 November, 2009 at 1:10 pm (4 years ago)

I have a bag of that cereal in my pantry, too. I must bust it out soon – I love it!

2. Whitney @ Lettuce Love
    4 November, 2009 at 1:42 pm (4 years ago)

I love everything by Bob’s Red Mill — good stuff :)

3. Mama Pea
    4 November, 2009 at 2:01 pm (4 years ago)

Isn’t it delicious? We ate that stuff all the time when we had to have Lulu gluten free. I actually made pancakes out of it with egg whites and cottage cheese. Obviously, before the whole vegan thing :)

Have you tried wheat berries? I think they are one of my favorite grains!

4. Lynn (The Actors Diet)
    4 November, 2009 at 4:03 pm (4 years ago)

yum! i had a lot of sorghum for breakfast when i was in botswana and s. africa and was wondering how to get it here in the states….have you ever tried brown rice flakes? i really enjoy them, especially soaked in yogurt overnight – tastes like rice pudding….

4 November, 2009 at 6:09 pm (4 years ago)

I’m a millet and teff fan myself, but I’ve never tried the Mighty Tasty Hot. I love experimenting with gluten free cereals as well, but they are usually so pricey. I get my millet in the bulk bins at Whole Foods, but I have yet to find teff grains anywhere in Nashville.

6. Katy
    4 November, 2009 at 6:37 pm (4 years ago)

I love any of the Bob’s products — I’ll have to look for this one! I’m a big fan of the bulk food section, as Heather mentioned. I make my own mixes and throw it into a pot with liquid until it looks ready!

7. Jil
    4 November, 2009 at 6:59 pm (4 years ago)

ooh, i’m always up for a new hot cereal — esp with winter right around the corner! both versions look awesome!

8. Bonnie
    4 November, 2009 at 7:23 pm (4 years ago)

From one Salad crazy girl to another–we have this cereal in common too! I’ve been blogging about it ever since my local health food store consultant reccomended it. I don’t have allergies either, but this one is a keeper in our house!

9. Jess
    4 November, 2009 at 8:00 pm (4 years ago)

That sounds mighty tasty ;) Had to do it!!

Love the savory bowl–haven’t tried savory oats yet!!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

10. Riss
    4 November, 2009 at 8:50 pm (4 years ago)

I’m glad you like the Mighty Tasty Cereal! I, however, am not a fan. =( But, I haven’t tried it with anything savory yet! The shrimp idea has me curious to try it again. It’s been sitting in my pantry and probably has an inferiority complex since I’ve gone through 3 packages of Gluten-Free Oats since its purchase a month and a half ago!

11. Tina
    4 November, 2009 at 10:20 pm (4 years ago)

If it’s got banana in it… it’s breakfast-worthy: that’s my theory :P

xx

12. sophia
    4 November, 2009 at 10:32 pm (4 years ago)

Do it the Sophia-way…mix it with some kabocha, and top with lots of cheese and a runny egg! :-)
    I can’t WAIT to see you!!!! AGHHHH!H!H!

13. Marina
    5 November, 2009 at 1:08 am (4 years ago)

Farina! Cooked in milk, topped with some chocolate or cocoa.It’s delicious!

14. Neela Marijana
    5 November, 2009 at 2:33 am (4 years ago)

aww i love bob’s red mill anything!!
    try polenta!! its banging good ;)

15. SnackSnoop
    5 November, 2009 at 9:20 am (4 years ago)

IT looks like grits – ahh grits. how I miss the South.

16. Tricia
    5 November, 2009 at 11:11 am (4 years ago)

oh, bob! I recently made jalapeno and cheddar spelt biscuits/strawberry shortcakes using bob’s spelt flour!