Favorites on both sides of the US

Bobby’s cousins are so sweet. I’m going to miss them a lot. On our last night in California (Monday, November 9th) we went out together to Blue Mango (our favorite restaurant) in Santa Clara. Blue Mango is a Thai restaurant and they have a separate vegetarian menu (I haven’t used it in a while). We shared a bunch of dishes…

Appetizer: Heavenly Stuffed Wings – de-boned chicken wings stuffed with ground chicken, silver noodle, cilantro, water chestnut and black mushroom. They came with this great sweet dipping sauce. This was kind of scary at first (fried! processed! breaded!) but the deliciousness made up for it.

Favorites on both sides of the US

For dinner we shared 4 dishes. The Blue Mango Fried Rice – a big house special: chicken fried rice topped with sweet garlic pork.

Favorites on both sides of the US

The Green Curry – eggplant, bamboo, and bell pepper are soaked in coconut milk, with a hint of basil (cannot be mild).

Favorites on both sides of the US

Mushroom Mountain, as usual – soft tofu, baby corn, bamboo, straw mushroom, and bean sprout stir-fried with a bit of green curry paste. Sesame seed are sprinkled on for a beautiful finish.

Favorites on both sides of the US

And Basil Chili Chicken, also as usual – with bell pepper and onion.

Favorites on both sides of the US

After dinner we went out for dessert (frozen yogurt) at Golden Spoon – pumpkin pie and chocolate flavors. The toppings were raspberries, mango (not ripe, unfortunately), and crushed brownie bits.

Favorites on both sides of the US

Blue Mango never disappoints. And neither does Golden Spoon. If you ever get a chance, go there! (I’m talking about the Blue Mango on Stevens Creek – I hear the other one is not so good.)

Now that I’m in NJ I don’t have Blue Mango. But I do have Edo Sushi! Bobby, Julia, and I all went out for dinner tonight. I love this place. Edo Sushi is a Japanese and Chinese restaurant on Route 31 in the same shopping center as Pennington Market. It’s about a 10 minute walk from my parents’ house.

First is the tea… (unlimited and free – my two favorite qualities). Notice my cool NY key chain – it’s kind of vintage because it has the twin towers on it. I think I got it back in middle school.

Favorites on both sides of the US

I got chicken and broccoli with the sauce on the side (brown sauce).

Favorites on both sides of the US

The other pictures didn’t come out, but Julia got veggies and tofu with the sauce on the side (also brown sauce). Bobby got the Dragon vs. Phoenix – chicken, shrimp, and veggies stir-fried with yet another brown sauce. He also got a big pot of rice.

We finished everything. The check came with pineapple cubes and fortune cookies. Yum! I love Edo’s.

This dinner was nice after my indulgent afternoon… My parents gave me a massage + facial combo for my birthday and I finally used it. I went to Sydney Albert Salon Spa in Princeton. I’d highly recommend this place – I’ve been going there for years and I’ve always loved everything. Their haircuts are amazing, the facials are fantastic, and the massage was wonderful. Bobby also got a massage and he loved it.

While we were getting pampered, our Relocube arrived. Now we have to unpack it. I’m going into the city tomorrow, but when I get home I think we’re going to try to start sorting through all of our stuff. It’ll be a big project.

What’s your favorite restaurant?

19 Comments on Favorites on both sides of the US

1. Shannon
    17 November, 2009 at 8:02 pm (5 years ago)

glad you made it safe and sound!! and got to see heab on the way :) looks like you’re already enjoying awesome family time!!

2. Melissa
    17 November, 2009 at 8:24 pm (5 years ago)

Ahhh Edo Sushi…I can’t believe it’s been that long since I’ve been home! Maybe I’ll make a trip just to Edo’s while I’m in town for the reunion haha

3. candice
    17 November, 2009 at 8:39 pm (5 years ago)

Yum, I love green curry. Basil chili chicken sounds so good too, as does the fro-yo, of course! ;)

I don’t actually have a favorite restaurant—there are too many good ones! I like new American, Japanese, and some Thai places, though. :)

4. Lynn (The Actors Diet)
    17 November, 2009 at 9:40 pm (5 years ago)

it’s not my fave restaurant (i don’t go there for the ambiance) is pepe’s pizza in new haven. you have to wait on line for almost an hour and the waiters bark at you but man oh man. it’s what pizza is supposed to taste like.

5. clare
    17 November, 2009 at 9:44 pm (5 years ago)

that broccoli and chicken looks so CLEAN. i wouldnt be able to find any restaurant in 100 miles from here that would serve plain broccoli and chicken without it being doused in loads of oil, butter, cheese, or mystery sauce. i dont eat out, but i sure as heck like my own food! :)

6. Amber
    17 November, 2009 at 11:16 pm (5 years ago)

wow all the food looks amazing!

18 November, 2009 at 4:16 am (5 years ago)

I want that tofu mountain! all my favorites in one plate!

8. Shelby
    18 November, 2009 at 6:06 am (5 years ago)

Mmm, what fabulous meals! But I just really want that soft serve! Pumpkin anything is good in my book :)

My favorite restaurant is Borrowed Earth Cafe. It’s all raw and soooooo good.

9. Nicole
    18 November, 2009 at 6:12 am (5 years ago)

My favorite restaurant is, by far, Miya’s Sushi in New Haven!

18 November, 2009 at 7:05 am (5 years ago)

I’m going to miss seeing pictures of your Mushroom Mountain. :(

However, can’t wait to see some pics from some NYC restaurants!!!!

I had a massage yesterday too. If everyone had a massage everyday, I swear there would be world peace.

11. Corinne
    18 November, 2009 at 8:42 am (5 years ago)

Fav Restaurant= Slanted Door in San Fran! Love it! Healthy & delicious Vietnamese http://www.slanteddoor.com/
    Anyone around San Fran must give it a whirl! Also–thanks for following GGB on Networked Blogs! Added you to my roll:)
    Happy Blogging!
    xxCorinne

12. Bekah
    18 November, 2009 at 8:56 am (5 years ago)

Its funny, “Blue Mango” also sounds like a fro yo shop name. Isn’t there like a Red Mango in some parts? Same with Golden Spoon- probably could pass for a thai restaurant of sorts. LOL.

I loooove curry..

13. Lindsey @ EatReadRun
    18 November, 2009 at 9:04 am (5 years ago)

The Blue Mango dinner looks amazing!! I can’t pick a favorite restaurant – way too hard. I do love the restaurant my husband and I had our very first date at. But it’s so popular we can never get in! So you are living back in NJ now for good? Welcome back to the East Coast.

14. Melissa S.
    18 November, 2009 at 11:04 am (5 years ago)

glad you made it safe!!! and i’m totally with you on Golden Spoon…need to head over to one asap!

15. Light Delight with TouTou
    18 November, 2009 at 2:43 pm (5 years ago)

Thai food is my favorite cuisine here – it is much closer to my Chinese one. I love pad thai, and green curry with duck, and of coz Thai tea. But I have NEVER see that stuffed chicken wings! lucky you! they looks really delish!!! Have a safe trip back,

16. Michelle
    19 November, 2009 at 8:21 am (5 years ago)

Oh my gosh….yummy!! I love thai food but I know that a lot of the thai food we get in America isn’t really authentic (according to my friends who are thai…hahah they are SUPER critical of American thai restaurants!) My favorite is shrimp vermicelli noodle salad!!

YAY for frozen yogurt! Count on California for always having froyo in every corner you turn on! The pumpkin sounds right up my alley! I actually tried making some this weekend and it turned out quite yummy! :)

17. Marina
    19 November, 2009 at 2:41 pm (5 years ago)

Blue Mango?! It’s funny here in NY we have Red Mango! I didn’t know that there were 2 different frozen yogurt places called Blue and Red Mango.. weird! lol

There are SO many vegetarian restaurants that I love in this city, and many pizza places as well… but if I had to pick I’d say Wild Ginger is still my fave… if not this new asian restaurant near me, Qi.

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Favorites on both sides of the US