Family Yums & Workouts

I’m a bit busy, but here are some yums that I had with my family last week…

07 pear salad

My mom made a wonderful salad with pears, blue cheese crumbles, walnuts, white onions, and cranberries (and maybe something else? Mom?). She topped it with a homemade vinaigrette salad dressing. She left the blue cheese crumbles on the side for those who wanted to be vegan.

08 pear salad

That same night she made a creamy leek soup (vegan, amazingly enough). It was delicious. I think she used almond milk. There was definitely dill in there too.

09 leek soup

My dad made his signature waffles for breakfast. We had them with butter and syrup.

10 waffles

My dad also made French toast. Also topped with butter and syrup.

11 french toast

Does your family have any signature dishes?

Workouts of the week:

• Monday: run in the morning (1.75 miles); walk home (2 miles)
  • Tuesday: yoga in the morning (25 minutes on my own); walk @ lunch (1 mile); walk home (2 miles)
  • Wednesday (today) so far: kendell hogan’s bootcamp calorie burn (30 minutes, free!)

15 Comments on Family Yums & Workouts

25 November, 2009 at 6:13 am (5 years ago)

Seriously, ALL of my mom’s dishes are signature – she’s a wonderful cook. And my desserts are well-received around here as well ;)

Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving!

2. Stephanie
    25 November, 2009 at 6:28 am (5 years ago)

Ooo I love salads with the pear/bleu cheese combo – that looks delicious!

25 November, 2009 at 6:48 am (5 years ago)

Seriously, can I just come over and eat at your parent’s house???? They are BOTH amazing in the kitchen. Your dad seems to be an expert on breakfast foods. Love it. My dad’s signature dishes were mostly breakfast foods. He scrambled eggs were amazing. I’ve never had anything like them. He used some kind of special spice blend and added cheese. His pancakes weren’t too shabby either. :)

Love your workouts. Thanks for the link to Exercise TV.

4. Dori
    25 November, 2009 at 7:05 am (5 years ago)

I want waffles and french toast! So jealous :) And that salad looks heavenly, I would devour that if I could eat salad.

Where did you run on Monday morning? City streets?

5. Tina
    25 November, 2009 at 8:37 am (5 years ago)

That salad is screaming my name!

6. carolinebee
    25 November, 2009 at 9:34 am (5 years ago)

YUM! I want to go home and have my momma make me food :) Congrats on the new job!! PS au bon pain has some delish self serve oatmeal if ur on go in the am!

7. Christina
    25 November, 2009 at 10:04 am (5 years ago)

haha I think everything my parents cook are signature recipes! Italians don’t play around in the food department! ;) That salad looks amazing and I’m so impressed that your parents adopted veganizing meals for your siblings and you! That’s great to support you guys like that, esp since specialty ingredients are more expensive and harder to find!

8. Melissa S.
    25 November, 2009 at 10:21 am (5 years ago)

interesting salad! my mom has her signature dishes for every holiday!

9. Kathleen
    25 November, 2009 at 10:34 am (5 years ago)

I think I inherited my mom’s habit of never using recipes… intuitive cooking I guess you could say. So most of her dishes are original, certainly, but there are some traditional standards. As many men are, my dad is a grill master. My fave are his grilled veggies.

10. Jil
    25 November, 2009 at 5:23 pm (5 years ago)

your mom’s cooking looks so delicious, and it’s that soup looks so comforting! your dad’s breakfast foods look so good, too! my mom is the queen of homemade soups! they’re just so delicious. soup from a can cannot compare! my dad makes chili and jambalaya. they’re pretty darn good, too. :)

11. candice
    25 November, 2009 at 5:30 pm (5 years ago)

What a delicious medley of ingredients for that salad! Fruit, cheese, nuts, and greens—delish! Those waffles look like the kind that are crunchy on the outside and soft and doughy on the inside. aka AMAZING. :)

I don’t think my family has any signature dishes. It’s all just typical Chinese homestyle fare, haha. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

12. Light Delight with TouTou
    25 November, 2009 at 5:56 pm (5 years ago)

is that Asian Pear? I love that much better than the green ones. BUT I have never use them in the salad . Looks like it’s a really great idea !! I’ll definitely try it out in my salad series :D
    I hope you have a great holiday, and after that, not so busy! !

13. Peggy (Mom)
    26 November, 2009 at 5:14 am (5 years ago)

hmmm…the walnuts in the salad were actually honey glazed and I sprinkled lemon juice on the pears so they wouldn’t turn brown. Almond milk in the potato leek soup too…Shop Rite had it on sale half price so I bought a gallon….lol

14. Andrea@WellnessNotes
    26 November, 2009 at 5:52 am (5 years ago)

I love all the food, especially the leek soup sounds amazing. I haven’t had leeks in ages… I think I’ll have to experiment a bit…. :)

My mom makes a really good potato soup that reminds me of my childhood…

Happy Thanksgiving!

15. Bekah
    26 November, 2009 at 1:32 pm (5 years ago)

Ooo that salad looks awesome, as well as those waffles. Delish.
    I definitely miss when I was little, my mom would make pancakes every Sunday which were uber healthy, but THE BOMB underneath 1/2 cup of maple syrup. (OH the joys of being a scrawnly little girl.) :)