Recipe: Roasted Butternut Squash with Broccoli and Raisins

Back when I first arrived in New Jersey (for new readers – I just moved to New York city from California, but on the way I stayed in NJ with my parents for a few days) I hit up Whole Foods for some awesome prepared foods, like this butternut squash with baby spinach recipe:

Recipe: Roasted Butternut Squash with Broccoli and Raisins

Then the other day Sue sent me a link to the recipe on Wegmans’ site and I knew I had to try it. I didn’t really have many of the ingredients – I only had butternut squash, actually – but what I made was great. The original recipe had butternut squash, baby spinach, red onions, and dried cranberries (craisins). My recipe was…

Roasted Butternut Squash with Broccoli and Raisins

Recipe: Roasted Butternut Squash with Broccoli and Raisins

Ingredients (serves Maggie and Bobby got a few bites)

• 1 butternut squash, chopped in 1-inch cubes (probably 2-3 pounds) (optionally peeled – I never peel squash though)
  • 1.5 cups of broccoli
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • a few shakes of garlic powder (to replace the onions I didn’t have)
  • handful of raisins ~ 1/4 cup (optionally chopped up – I chopped mine in small pieces)

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  2. Chop the squash and broccoli. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Spread them out on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 50 minutes.
  3. While the veggies are roasting, chop up the raisins and soak them in water. Drain them.
  4. Take the veggies out of the oven and mix in the raisins.
  5. Serve hot or room temperature. I put PARMESAN on mine.

Along with this I had a nice salad with organic rotisserie chicken on top. Delicious!

Recipe: Roasted Butternut Squash with Broccoli and Raisins

What’s your favorite squash recipe? I love ROASTING squash as well as steaming kabocha.

21 Comments on Recipe: Roasted Butternut Squash with Broccoli and Raisins

1. Christina
    16 December, 2009 at 9:20 pm (4 years ago)

I actually can’t figure out which way I like squash! hehe My last kabocha we did a “squash-off” and steamed half and roasted half, but we couldn’t decide! Squash is so darned good either way!

Love this dish w/ the addition of raisins – great idea!

2. clare
    16 December, 2009 at 9:43 pm (4 years ago)

oh maggie that looks FANTASTIC! butternut squash is on the grocery list now. ;)

my fave squash is still my roasted delicata squash.

3. Gaby
    16 December, 2009 at 9:46 pm (4 years ago)

Yum! Perfect simple recipe- just my kind of food :)
    Usually I’m too impatient but the best thing I’ve done was slow roast a delicata squash (really good but kabocha is still the best) but the method was amazing! I wrapped it in foil early in the morning to have for lunch so it sat in the oven a good 2 hours and the whole thing literally just melted! I was able to eat it skin and all!
    Also, I was too tired to comment yesterday but I totally agree with your exercise post. I honestly think the majority of people overdo it. There is no need to go running for over an hour several times a week! Or spend hours in a gym on cardio machines or lifting weights. I know some people love running, I don’t want them to jump on me after posting this, because I totally understand loving a sport and devoting a lot of time to it, but I do get sort of irritated because I never see those people fueling properly afterward. I could go into a whole rant about this too but I will restrain myself on your blog :X
    But my “exercise” schedule looks very much like yours. I usually like some 15-20 min yoga in the morning, whether with a video or even just stretching out while I slide out of bed. It makes me feel more awake and ready to begin my day. I usually attend one yoga class a week and as for anything else, I let life decide!

4. Maytina
    16 December, 2009 at 11:35 pm (4 years ago)

They do look really good. My favorite way to do up squash is in soup with a whole lo of garlic and homemade chive crackers!

17 December, 2009 at 4:49 am (4 years ago)

you know that I’m in love with steamed kabocha but for butternut squash I prefer it roasted! I haven’t had it for more than 15 days. I miss it a lot! ;)

6. Light Delight with TouTou
    17 December, 2009 at 6:25 am (4 years ago)

coool. do you leave the skin of that butternut squash on??? every time I want to cut them in to cubes, I feel it’s so hard to cut through those skins!!
    Love roasted butternut squash….they are in season!

7. brandi
    17 December, 2009 at 7:35 am (4 years ago)

I love roasted squash! it’s the best. and this sounds great with the raisins.

8. Michelle
    17 December, 2009 at 9:58 am (4 years ago)

I LOVE my kabocha steamed the most. I feel that the sweetness of the squash comes out on its own and it is so dessert-like I love eating it just like CoCo does, after dinner!!! :) hehehe

9. Kristen
    17 December, 2009 at 11:11 am (4 years ago)

This looks so wonderful! I keep squash all the time, so it’s nice to find a new way to serve it!!

10. Jenny
    17 December, 2009 at 11:20 am (4 years ago)

ah this recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and savory. Sounds lovely!

11. Marina
    17 December, 2009 at 11:49 am (4 years ago)

this sounds like a perfect yummy dish. I love b.squash in all kinds and forms :)

12. Melissa
    17 December, 2009 at 1:51 pm (4 years ago)

All your posts make me sooo hungry. I wish I had more time to cook…maybe someday soon :)

As for my news —- I’ll announce it tomorrow haha it’s probably only really exciting to me!

13. theemptynutjar
    17 December, 2009 at 5:12 pm (4 years ago)

Beautiful recipe. Beautiful blog.

14. April
    17 December, 2009 at 5:50 pm (4 years ago)

I’ve never tried squash…i’m a weirdo.

15. Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga)
    17 December, 2009 at 6:53 pm (4 years ago)

GIRL this looks awesome. Squash, brock, raisins. I adore them all. Especially raisins in kinda savory-ish dishes. Such a nice unexpected POP. I made and posted bout a brock salad and I make it all the time with raisins. Or dates. Weird but sooo good. :) Hope you’re doing awesome, MAggie and that the move is treating you right. Moving is hard, I just did it 4 mos ago and so I hope you’re finding your groove! You sure look like you’re doing awesome :)
    xxoxo

16. Bekah
    17 December, 2009 at 11:28 pm (4 years ago)

Ooo I loove steaming kabocha too! And you my dear basically just posted a go-to, fave, easy, scrumptious, healthy dinner of mine. Salad greens+roasted chicken with roasted broccoli and butternut?? Yum yum yumm. :)

17. Gena
    18 December, 2009 at 9:58 am (4 years ago)

…annnnd, I’m in love. :-)

18. Amy (One Thousand Steps)
    18 December, 2009 at 10:27 am (4 years ago)

Ohh wow, what a combination – yum!! Butternut is my all time favorite squash – I love it roasted with cinnamon, or if I feel like a more savory dish, I use chopped fresh sage. I’d never thought of adding raisins and am definitely going to try that!

19. candice
    19 December, 2009 at 7:30 am (4 years ago)

Yum, this recipe is pretty much perfect to me! I NEED to roast broccoli sometime—it looks so good all brown and toasty-looking on the outside! Rotisserie chicken is the best too ;)

20. Sylvester Wiggington
    14 October, 2011 at 4:10 pm (3 years ago)

It’s really a cool and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.