Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses

This week has been a little bit crazy; I’m glad to be sitting at home relaxing (finally).

On Sunday I spent the day with my aunt (well, aunt-to-be-after-I’m-married) baking. Auntie Jo and Uncle Morris picked me up in Flushing and took me to this great bagel shop where we had breakfast:

bagel whole wheat ham swiss

A whole wheat bagel with ham, swiss, and mustard. It was so good. I didn’t quite finish it but I did bring the leftovers home and had them later. Auntie Jo suggested it and she got the same!

I hate to do this to you, but I haven’t finished decorating the houses so I’m going to save the gingerbread post for tomorrow or later this week. But I do have a teaser:

gingerbread man

I made cookies too! Bobby and I saw gingerbread men in Central Park the other day (for $4.50; what a ripoff) so I made this guy for him. I also made a bunch of other cute little shapes, most of which have been eaten this week by me. I always make dessert for Bobby and then end up eating it myself.

Other things we’ve had this week are… Fried Rice (Bobby makes this; he’s much better than me at it):

fried rice healthy

And a salad (though salads have not been very satisfying to me lately… I always end up eating something else if I have one):

salad chicken

This one had organic rotisserie chicken, tomatoes, lettuce, parmesan, and I think I used teriyaki sauce for dressing because I don’t have any dressing. We ordered everything from a delivery service called Fresh Direct, which is awesome. Kate and Simon recommended it.

I am missing my sweet cats right now.

cat couscous cats kabocha couscous cat kabocha

They are in New Jersey with my parents because Bobby and I are going to Miami this week to spend Christmas with his family. He leaves tomorrow and I’m joining them on Wednesday. I haven’t gotten to see his family for a while so I’m excited!

What are your holiday plans?

20 Comments on Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses

1. Amy (One Thousand Steps)
    19 December, 2009 at 10:47 am (5 years ago)

Wow, Christmas in Miami – lucky you!! I could definitely use some sunshine right about now. ;) My husband and I are heading to Boston to spend the holiday with family – I’m definitely going to need my winter boots!

2. Peggy (Mom)
    19 December, 2009 at 10:48 am (5 years ago)

Love your gingerbread guy. I also made fried rice this week; with tofu and I always scramble the eggs separately so they don’t gunk up the rice. Bobby’s version looked yummier with more vegs I think.

The cats are doing well…hanging out with me on the second floor. They slept on our bed last night and I kept the other animals out! They are so cool — I can see why you miss them. Right now Cous has squirmed deep under two of my quilts.

3. Jenny
    19 December, 2009 at 12:42 pm (5 years ago)

oh I am so bitter that you will be enjoying the gorgeous Miami weather while I’m here waiting for an impending snow storm. Lucky you! Safe travels, beautiful :)

19 December, 2009 at 12:45 pm (5 years ago)

Cuuuute cookie and cats :)

Holiday plans = everyone comes to my house for Christmas and New Year’s, as always.

5. Michelle
    19 December, 2009 at 12:45 pm (5 years ago)

omg De Ja Vu!!! I totally blogged about so many of the same things you did on my last post. It’s SO SCARY. hahah

I LOVE your gingerbread man!! Do you have a cookie cutter or did you shape him with your fingers?? I cheate d and bought a store baked gingerbread house…I just had to stick it together and decorate! heheheh

6. Melissa S.
    19 December, 2009 at 12:57 pm (5 years ago)

ohhh…fried rice!

i love the gingerbread men!! so cute! i’m always afraid to make cookie cutout cookies!

7. Lynn (The Actors Diet)
    19 December, 2009 at 2:02 pm (5 years ago)

$4.50 for gingerbread is too crazy. your’s is very cute!

8. Tamzin
    19 December, 2009 at 3:50 pm (5 years ago)

What handsome gingerbread man, yummy bet he was delish! x x

9. Andrea@WellnessNotes
    19 December, 2009 at 5:57 pm (5 years ago)

Okay, I just realized that I haven’t had a bagel in a long time. But I know they aren’t the same here in CA anyway…

Looking forward to the gingerbread houses! I love the gingerbread man! :)

Have a wonderful time with Bobby’s family in Florida!

10. sophia
    19 December, 2009 at 9:58 pm (5 years ago)

The cats who jumped on my stomach! Hee hee…So cute! And so is that cookie! Did you bite its head off first? Its smile is so cocky, I would have bitten its face off first!

11. Jill
    20 December, 2009 at 12:52 am (5 years ago)

Cute Gingerbread boy! Have fun in Miami~We are headed to The Great white North.

12. candice
    20 December, 2009 at 2:35 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve never had a bagel sandwich before. Shocking, yes?? That cheese looks SO good for some reason. 8O

Your kitties are so CUTE! The first picture just melts me, and I don’t even like pets!

13. Melissa
    20 December, 2009 at 4:09 pm (5 years ago)

awww I miss my babies, too…poor stella and jasper spending their Christmas with a pet-sitter!

Nice gingerbread man!

14. Kimberly
    20 December, 2009 at 4:55 pm (5 years ago)

not much. just got a spa package as a holiday/birthday/new year present for mom. :) She deserves a little indulgence.

15. Marina
    20 December, 2009 at 5:58 pm (5 years ago)

I love gingerbread. :)

I’m staying home for Christmas this year… with Mom & Peanut.

16. monicaonthego.com
    20 December, 2009 at 8:04 pm (5 years ago)

Have fun in FL! I wish I was going somewhere sunny, just heading to KY to see family.

17. Bekah
    21 December, 2009 at 1:38 am (5 years ago)

Oooo I love your cats! They are precious, and totally gorgeous. Not like weird looking at all. ;) And mmm bagel sandwiches. I eat an egg bagel sandwich at one of my family’s favorite coffee shops about once a week. I can only eat half, but its super satisfying!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1796