Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses

This week has been a little bit crazy; I’m glad to be sitting at home relaxing (finally).

On Sunday I spent the day with my aunt (well, aunt-to-be-after-I’m-married) baking. Auntie Jo and Uncle Morris picked me up in Flushing and took me to this great bagel shop where we had breakfast:

dec142009058 thumb Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses

A whole wheat bagel with ham, swiss, and mustard. It was so good. I didn’t quite finish it but I did bring the leftovers home and had them later. Auntie Jo suggested it and she got the same!

I hate to do this to you, but I haven’t finished decorating the houses so I’m going to save the gingerbread post for tomorrow or later this week. But I do have a teaser:

dec142009089 thumb Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses

I made cookies too! Bobby and I saw gingerbread men in Central Park the other day (for $4.50; what a ripoff) so I made this guy for him. I also made a bunch of other cute little shapes, most of which have been eaten this week by me. I always make dessert for Bobby and then end up eating it myself.

Other things we’ve had this week are… Fried Rice (Bobby makes this; he’s much better than me at it):

dec142009086 thumb Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses

And a salad (though salads have not been very satisfying to me lately… I always end up eating something else if I have one):

dec142009085 thumb Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses

This one had organic rotisserie chicken, tomatoes, lettuce, parmesan, and I think I used teriyaki sauce for dressing because I don’t have any dressing. We ordered everything from a delivery service called Fresh Direct, which is awesome. Kate and Simon recommended it.

I am missing my sweet cats right now.

dec142009026 thumb Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses dec142009027 thumb Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses dec142009029 thumb Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses

They are in New Jersey with my parents because Bobby and I are going to Miami this week to spend Christmas with his family. He leaves tomorrow and I’m joining them on Wednesday. I haven’t gotten to see his family for a while so I’m excited!

What are your holiday plans?

20 Comments on Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses

1. Amy (One Thousand Steps)
    19 December, 2009 at 10:47 am (5 years ago)

Wow, Christmas in Miami – lucky you!! I could definitely use some sunshine right about now. ;) My husband and I are heading to Boston to spend the holiday with family – I’m definitely going to need my winter boots!

2. Peggy (Mom)
    19 December, 2009 at 10:48 am (5 years ago)

Love your gingerbread guy. I also made fried rice this week; with tofu and I always scramble the eggs separately so they don’t gunk up the rice. Bobby’s version looked yummier with more vegs I think.

The cats are doing well…hanging out with me on the second floor. They slept on our bed last night and I kept the other animals out! They are so cool — I can see why you miss them. Right now Cous has squirmed deep under two of my quilts.

3. Jenny
    19 December, 2009 at 12:42 pm (5 years ago)

oh I am so bitter that you will be enjoying the gorgeous Miami weather while I’m here waiting for an impending snow storm. Lucky you! Safe travels, beautiful :)

19 December, 2009 at 12:45 pm (5 years ago)

Cuuuute cookie and cats :)

Holiday plans = everyone comes to my house for Christmas and New Year’s, as always.

5. Michelle
    19 December, 2009 at 12:45 pm (5 years ago)

omg De Ja Vu!!! I totally blogged about so many of the same things you did on my last post. It’s SO SCARY. hahah

I LOVE your gingerbread man!! Do you have a cookie cutter or did you shape him with your fingers?? I cheate d and bought a store baked gingerbread house…I just had to stick it together and decorate! heheheh

6. Melissa S.
    19 December, 2009 at 12:57 pm (5 years ago)

ohhh…fried rice!

i love the gingerbread men!! so cute! i’m always afraid to make cookie cutout cookies!

7. Lynn (The Actors Diet)
    19 December, 2009 at 2:02 pm (5 years ago)

$4.50 for gingerbread is too crazy. your’s is very cute!

8. Tamzin
    19 December, 2009 at 3:50 pm (5 years ago)

What handsome gingerbread man, yummy bet he was delish! x x

9. Andrea@WellnessNotes
    19 December, 2009 at 5:57 pm (5 years ago)

Okay, I just realized that I haven’t had a bagel in a long time. But I know they aren’t the same here in CA anyway…

Looking forward to the gingerbread houses! I love the gingerbread man! :)

Have a wonderful time with Bobby’s family in Florida!

10. sophia
    19 December, 2009 at 9:58 pm (5 years ago)

The cats who jumped on my stomach! Hee hee…So cute! And so is that cookie! Did you bite its head off first? Its smile is so cocky, I would have bitten its face off first!

11. Jill
    20 December, 2009 at 12:52 am (5 years ago)

Cute Gingerbread boy! Have fun in Miami~We are headed to The Great white North.

12. candice
    20 December, 2009 at 2:35 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve never had a bagel sandwich before. Shocking, yes?? That cheese looks SO good for some reason. 8O

Your kitties are so CUTE! The first picture just melts me, and I don’t even like pets!

13. Melissa
    20 December, 2009 at 4:09 pm (5 years ago)

awww I miss my babies, too…poor stella and jasper spending their Christmas with a pet-sitter!

Nice gingerbread man!

14. Kimberly
    20 December, 2009 at 4:55 pm (5 years ago)

not much. just got a spa package as a holiday/birthday/new year present for mom. :) She deserves a little indulgence.

15. Marina
    20 December, 2009 at 5:58 pm (5 years ago)

I love gingerbread. :)

I’m staying home for Christmas this year… with Mom & Peanut.

16. monicaonthego.com
    20 December, 2009 at 8:04 pm (5 years ago)

Have fun in FL! I wish I was going somewhere sunny, just heading to KY to see family.

17. Bekah
    21 December, 2009 at 1:38 am (5 years ago)

Oooo I love your cats! They are precious, and totally gorgeous. Not like weird looking at all. ;) And mmm bagel sandwiches. I eat an egg bagel sandwich at one of my family’s favorite coffee shops about once a week. I can only eat half, but its super satisfying!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Baking and Making Gingerbread Houses