Merry Christmas! (Yes, I’m late)

Happy Boxing Day!

I’m still in Miami and loving this gorgeous “winter” weather. Bobby’s family has been amazing and we’ve been having a really fantastic time.

I’m actually home alone right now; I feel kind of sick so I’m missing out on dinner plans. I just had Christmas leftovers (turkey, mashed potatoes, and some veggies) and they were just as delicious today as they were yesterday. The recap is coming soon. In the meantime, check out these gorgeous pictures my dad sent me…

01 bouche

My mom makes Bûche de Noël every few years. Bûche de Noël is a traditional European dessert that’s served during the Christmas season. It’s also called a Yule Log. It’s mostly a French thing – the countries/provinces that make it (France, Belgium, Quebec, Lebanon, and more) are all francophone.

02 bouche

My mom usually uses 3 different recipes to make the 3 parts of the Yule Log: the cake part (sponge cake), the inside buttercream icing, and the chocolate outside icing (possibly buttercream as well? I forget).

This year she made a slug to be more realistic:

03 bouche slug

Reminds me of the banana slug that my dad and I saw in the Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park.

04-banana-slug1

Anyway.

My sister made Springerles, which are German cookies (biscuits?) that are made during the holidays. My Grammie always used to make them so I guess Julia took over that tradition this year. My dad said they were soft and flavorful. Definitely a success – Springerles are hard to get right.

04 springerles

To make the Springerles, you use a Springerle rolling pin to press the design onto a slab of dough; then you cut the slab into squares. This one is from Wikipedia:

Springerle_roller

Julia is a great baker, so she also made these loaves of Hungarian Bread for Grammie, Aunt Mattie, and Uncle Rudy.

05 hungarian bread

I love baking presents. It’s such a nice way to show that you care. You guys all know how much I loved making those gingerbread houses

I am going to go watch some TV (Glee, perhaps?) with a nice mug of tea. Want to be rested for tomorrow’s flight.

Merry (late) Christmas again, and enjoy your weekend. I’ll try to get up the many many recaps that I have for you this week!

15 Comments on Merry Christmas! (Yes, I’m late)

1. Kimberly
    26 December, 2009 at 9:10 pm (5 years ago)

Merry Christmas to you too! Hope you’ll feel well soon. Left overs are always more flavorful. :)

2. Marina
    26 December, 2009 at 9:36 pm (5 years ago)

That yule log looks delicious! I feel your pain… I’ve been sick this Christmas too… either way, I hope you had a Merry Christmas!

3. candice
    26 December, 2009 at 11:25 pm (5 years ago)

Merry belated Christmas! I’ve only had buche de noel once in my life, and I doubt it was very authentic. It was filled with ice cream, lol.

4. Christina
    26 December, 2009 at 11:27 pm (5 years ago)

Merry Christmas Maggie! Your mom’s yule log looks terrific! That’s probably the most realistic I’ve ever seen! I was toying w/ the idea of making one, too. But we ended up having a sweets overload so I didn’t even get to the ginger bread recipe you sent me! Next year!!

5. Melissa S.
    27 December, 2009 at 12:17 am (5 years ago)

banana slugs!!!!! i saw those when i was in santa cruz many years ago! so cool!

we had a yule log this year too! it was my first time trying it and it was def good…very rich, but good!

6. MarathonVal
    27 December, 2009 at 12:32 am (5 years ago)

Merry Christmas, Maggie!! :)

7. Peggy (Mom)
    27 December, 2009 at 4:57 am (5 years ago)

I hope you are feeling better and that you have a good flight. I can’t take credit for the slug. One of my mushroom stems came out wrong and your siblings said it looked like a slug and painted it. The start of a new tradition…lol.

8. mangocheeks
    27 December, 2009 at 8:21 am (5 years ago)

Belated Merry Christmas Maggie,
    As a veg grower and a small veg plot owner, I liked the ‘slug’ touch, made me smile. Here in Scotland, I have been seeing some really dark ones,nearly black. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Hope your feeling better now.

9. Andrea@WellnessNotes
    27 December, 2009 at 9:10 am (5 years ago)

Sounds like you had a good Christmas! I love all the goodies you shared with us! :)

I hope you are feeling better and that you had a good flight back home!

10. lynn @ the actors diet
    27 December, 2009 at 6:11 pm (5 years ago)

merry (belated) xmas! i have always wanted to try a yule log….

27 December, 2009 at 7:10 pm (5 years ago)

Feel better Maggie. Never knew what a Yule Log was. Oh my gosh, sounds delicious. Hope your family saved some for you and Bobby as well as some of the Springerles. :)

Safe travels back home my friend!

12. Melissa
    28 December, 2009 at 10:53 am (5 years ago)

Merry late Christmas to you, too, Mags! That Buche de Noel looks scrumptious!

28 December, 2009 at 11:58 am (5 years ago)

No fun getting sick! I am sorry! Glad you had a great Miami trip~ Was the weather nice?

you’re mom’s treat and your sister’s Springerles….what goodies!

Merry Christmas Maggie! Wishing you my best!
    xooxoxoxox

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Merry Christmas! (Yes, I’m late)

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1796