Miami: Pilot House (Key Largo) and Japanese Buffet (YUM)

I just realized that I never posted about our trip to Miami. I was only there for about 4 days, so I wanted to spend as much time as I could being social and getting away from the computer.

On Christmas Eve (Thursday the 24th of December) we drove down to Key Largo to do some sightseeing. Mid-afternoon we stopped at a restaurant called Pilot House for lunch. Key Largo is nice – it has a very relaxed feel and I could definitely see myself enjoying life down in the keys. It’s a great place for relaxing.

I ordered a salad (honey mustard dressing on the side) as well as large peel & eat shrimp (1/2 pound just for me!).

dec302009003 thumb Miami: Pilot House (Key Largo) and Japanese Buffet (YUM) dec302009002 thumb Miami: Pilot House (Key Largo) and Japanese Buffet (YUM)

I adore shrimp. These had old bay seasoning sprinkled on them and I ate them with lots of cocktail sauce. Oh, cocktail sauce – everything is better with horseradish and ketchup.

dec302009005 thumb Miami: Pilot House (Key Largo) and Japanese Buffet (YUM)

We sat out on the deck next to the water and imagined what it would be like to live on a boat – pretty awesome, I think.

dec302009006 thumb Miami: Pilot House (Key Largo) and Japanese Buffet (YUM)

I could get used to this weather! I can’t wait to go back…

That night we went out to a great Japanese buffet in Miami called Kyojin Japanese Seafood Buffet. Oh. My. Gosh. Sushi buffet?? Unlimited amazing Japanese food?? Unlimited salads??

dec302009045 thumb Miami: Pilot House (Key Largo) and Japanese Buffet (YUM)

I am dangerous at buffets. I get a lot but I do go for tons of veggies and expensive or complicated dishes that I wouldn’t make at home.

The plate above was #1 of 3… and then I got the fruit for dessert. I really do have a lot of fun at buffets. Not only can I eat as many veggies as I want, but I don’t ever feel guilty about not finishing something that I don’t like! Some things that I remember having were…

• eel sushi (unagi)
  • roe shot (the red/green/yellow stripe thing – eggs on rice in a cup)
  • green beans
  • seafood salad (octopus, squid, veggies, etc…)
  • noodley dish (lo mein-ish)
  • various seaweed salads
  • seared tuna
  • mussels! shrimps!
  • mushroom thing
  • pineapple! melons!

I want to go back.

I’m feeling a little better (I mentioned I was sick in my last post), but still haven’t worked out since Tuesday. I guess I can count the 1-2 miles I walk each day as my workout though – living in New York definitely has its (walking) perks.

My new thing is drinking lots of water – go get a glass! It’ll keep you hydrated and healthy in the cold winter months (and if you’re somewhere warm, drink up anyway! I’m jealous of you).

Off to hang out with Bobby (well, watch him play video games). Tomorrow I think we’re going to NJ for a party and on Sunday I have a kickoff for an exciting challenge that I haven’t mentioned yet. I got accepted into the Sati Life Warrior Challenge, and I’ll give details soon.

What are you doing this weekend?

19 Comments on Miami: Pilot House (Key Largo) and Japanese Buffet (YUM)

1. Christina
    8 January, 2010 at 11:33 pm (5 years ago)

Wow, I’ve never been to a Japanese buffet, but it looks awesome! I agree – I always go for tons of fresh fruit and veggies, plus stuff I wouldn’t make at home. It seems like such a waste to go and fill up on tater tots, pizza slices, or other random crap on there. I guess that’s where they make their money, though!!

2. Tiffany @ A Dantat's Life
    8 January, 2010 at 11:33 pm (5 years ago)

A Japanese buffet?!?! Gosh you have me drooling on my keyboard! Too bad I’m in NJ, not Miami haha. So jealous! And yes… I think life on a boat would be fantastic too. :)

3. clare
    9 January, 2010 at 12:18 am (5 years ago)

girl you have the LOOOONGEST legs ive ever seen! love your adorable red top too.

sushi at a buffet? im with tiffany…droolingly envious.

you are the second blogger ive read today that has posted about more water! love my water, but still, hate to be peeing all the time. TP gets pricey, but you know, i stock up in bulk so its all good. ;)

4. Amber
    9 January, 2010 at 1:36 am (5 years ago)

umm pmg I want to be there!

5. Peggy (Mom)
    9 January, 2010 at 10:43 am (5 years ago)

You may have been to the Pilot House when you were 6 months old. We landed in Miami and drove for about 45 minutes until we found the first decent looking restaurant…I’ll have to dig out the picture to see. That plate of seafood looks AMAZING!

6. Elizabeth (The Dallas Celiac)
    9 January, 2010 at 10:52 am (5 years ago)

The weather in Key Largo looks gorgeous. I didn’t use to like shrimp but I do now, but only if they’re super fresh.

7. Donna Mayfield
    9 January, 2010 at 1:36 pm (5 years ago)

I’m so glad you liked the Pilot House. It was one of my favorite places when we lived in the Keys (for 57 years) Now we are in Ft Myers, FL. It’s nice here too but I miss the Keys !

8. candice
    9 January, 2010 at 2:34 pm (5 years ago)

Mmmm, I LOVE Japanese seafood buffets. My favorite is the roasted eggplant—SO yummy. And of course, the endless amounts of sushi and sashimi. :)

9 January, 2010 at 2:48 pm (5 years ago)

Looks like a great time in Miami. Bobby’s family is so cute. Are you taller than his dad? ;) Japanese buffet…I bet you were in heaven Maggie!

Glad to hear you’re feeling better. Me too! Walking – one of the things I would love about living in more of a metropolitan area. Take advantage of it!

P.S. I drink mugs of hot water during the winter months as the thought of ice water makes me cringe.

10. Kimberly
    9 January, 2010 at 9:21 pm (5 years ago)

just attended my friend’s bridal shower. Her friends made lots of good food and someone made summer rolls too. When’s yours? :)

11. Marina
    9 January, 2010 at 10:17 pm (5 years ago)

Florida looks SO good to me right about now… Lucky you!!

12. sophia
    10 January, 2010 at 1:38 am (5 years ago)

you’re just having the greatest time in your life, aren’t you? Haha, lucky you, Maggie! Enjoy all you want!

I’m not a big fan of buffets… I always feel like I’ve been ripped off some way or the other, because usually the food quality isn’t that great anyway, and there is a limit to how much I can eat in one seating!

13. Shannon, Tropical Eats
    10 January, 2010 at 9:06 pm (5 years ago)

the beaches look so pretty! thats amazing you got to eat out on the deck. Have a great monday! (if that’s possible lol) <3

14. Bekah
    12 January, 2010 at 1:05 am (5 years ago)

Mmmm I love peel your own shrimp! I could seriously eat like 2 lbs of just boiled shrimp with old bay. So good. :)

Looks like you’re having a great trip!

15. Van Delmage
    7 March, 2011 at 11:29 pm (4 years ago)

I truly find this is a great interesting subject. Never looked at this subject in this manner. If you are planning to write more articles relating to this subject, I will be back soon!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Miami: Pilot House (Key Largo) and Japanese Buffet (YUM)