Healthy Eats for a Busy Life

This week has been very very busy. I’m trying to get as much as I can out of this free Equinox pass (for the intenSati Warrior Challenge) and work is pretty crazy and I’m also trying to have a social life. Is that impossible? I wish I didn’t have to sleep.

I have eaten some very yummy things, though. These are steamed Japanese sweet potatoes:

jan152010001 thumb Healthy Eats for a Busy Life

I just cut up a humongous ‘tater and steamed it for about 6-7 minutes. The chunks were small enough that it cooked quickly. Tasted kind of like a ripe kabocha, but not quite as good. I miss kabocha squash – I should definitely make an effort to get some. I think I had this sweet potato with some maple syrup. Those are paint chips in the background.

AM New York (a free paper that I get going in to the subway) has had coupons recently for $5 off at Energy Kitchen. Energy kitchen is a fast food store that only sells dishes that are under 500 calories! I love it. I got this total tuna sandwich the other day:

jan152010002 thumb Healthy Eats for a Busy Life

It has 290 calories. Obviously you can’t just have one dish from there, because it wouldn’t be much food – but if you get a sandwich and have something extra like an apple, it’s a really yummy, healthy, satisfying lunch. I wish I had pictures of the other things I’ve tried: the veggie egg wrap with broccoli and onions (274 calories), the ostrich (!) burger (271 calories), the steamed broccoli side (kind of boring), and the sauteed mushrooms and onions side (very good!). My coworker likes Energy Kitchen too – his new year’s resolutions had to do with being healthier and eating less meat, so we like similar stuff!

Last but not least is this great salad I had a few weeks ago when I was in NJ for new year’s:

jan032010022 thumb Healthy Eats for a Busy Life

It’s called the Whole Earth Salad (named after the Whole Earth Center in Princeton, where my dad and sister got it). I wrote down what I think is in it so that I can try to recreate it: kale, almonds, rice/bulgar, cabbage, carrots, sesame seeds, marinated firm tofu, and a lemony dressing. It’s vegan (and vegetarian).

Off to snuggle. What are you doing this weekend?

19 Comments on Healthy Eats for a Busy Life

1. MarathonVal
    15 January, 2010 at 11:07 pm (4 years ago)

I miss kabocha squash too… I learned to love it and then my WF stopped carrying them…

Have a great weekend!

2. Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15)
    16 January, 2010 at 1:11 am (4 years ago)

Kabocha rocks. So much. I just bought one yesterday, actually.

That salad sounds delish! I have all those ingredients right now–I am SO making it. Thanks for the great suggestion!

3. Emma
    16 January, 2010 at 4:08 am (4 years ago)

I saw Energy Kitchen all over the place when I visited NYC in October. The sammie looks yum and amazing for so few cals!
    kale, tofu, almonds, bulgur, sesame seeds- Superfood salad indeed!
    Love xox

16 January, 2010 at 8:09 am (4 years ago)

Still can’t believe you’re living in NYC and riding the subway everyday. Crazy. Seems like you were just in sunny CA eating fro-yo. :)

Steamed broccoli is never boring in my opinion, and yes, you must get some kabocha soon!!!

5. kim
    16 January, 2010 at 8:14 am (4 years ago)

I also like to steam satsuma imo (Japanese sweet potato). You can use it to make lots of Asian-inspired desserts too! :)

6. Lauren @ Eater not a runner
    16 January, 2010 at 9:00 am (4 years ago)

I’ve never had a Japanese sweet potato! Might have to try one…..

7. Melissa S.
    16 January, 2010 at 9:01 am (4 years ago)

i’ve been hearing about energy kitchen on some other blogs. sounds great! glad you’re enjoying it!

8. Alison Foster
    16 January, 2010 at 10:29 am (4 years ago)

I feel like I can’t get enough food since I’ve started the warrior challenge! Your pics of food are making me drool. . . :P

Alison :)

9. Biz
    16 January, 2010 at 10:45 am (4 years ago)

Maggie without kabocha – say it isn’t so! :D

What a great find – that sandwich looks big for under 300 calories!

I have twin fest today – lunch with my twin sister and our best friends who are twins – lots of catching up to do!

10. April
    16 January, 2010 at 2:59 pm (4 years ago)

Vegetables aren’t as fun on the east coast as they are on the west coast huh?

I’m not doing anything this weekend. The Colts play so it’s football weekend for the hubs :)

11. Pure2Raw Twins
    16 January, 2010 at 6:58 pm (4 years ago)

Japanese sweet potatoes look interesting :) Salad looks yummy! Makes me crave one right now :)

12. Sagan
    16 January, 2010 at 7:31 pm (4 years ago)

Mmmm sandwiches!

I heart the snuggling :)

13. Mandy
    16 January, 2010 at 9:55 pm (4 years ago)

I really wish we had places like Energy Kitchen where i lived. It would be so handy to be able to pick up fast food that’s pretty healthy too. I definitely want to hit that place up next time I’m in NYC.

14. candice
    17 January, 2010 at 3:40 pm (4 years ago)

Japanese sweet potatoes are my second greatest [root veggie] love, right after kabocha. So good, sweet, especially baked until caramelized… ahhh <3

15. clare
    18 January, 2010 at 12:03 am (4 years ago)

hi miss maggie!

i have NEVER had a japanese sweet potato or even heard of one?! i wonder where i could find one.

paint chips??? do we have a project happening?

18 January, 2010 at 1:24 pm (4 years ago)

i need some kabocha too. MMM

we went to visit my Dad. It was nice but toddler’s and car trips make for not a peaceful time. haha

Happy Monday Chickie dee

17. Gena
    20 January, 2010 at 5:42 pm (4 years ago)

I’m dying to try a Japanese sweet potato!

18. Eileen
    21 January, 2010 at 5:18 pm (4 years ago)

I grew up in Princeton and I love the whole earth center! I wish I had one of those around me now and the energy kitchen sounds awesome too!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Healthy Eats for a Busy Life

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619